Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Looks around for gamemanico...

I posted this at Videohelp and decided to add it here so the DVD guru lordsmurf will be sure to see it!

Sorry if this is old news, but I just visited Supermediastore and Amazon and see that some Taiyo-Yuden discs are labeled "CMC Taiyo-Yuden". I thought Taiyo-Yuden manufactured discs only in their own factories. I know CMC makes Verbatim AZO discs, but when did they start making Taiyo-Yuden.

Also, all the discs they sell are rated 4 stars+, https://www.supermediastore.com/coll...sc-discs-media including their own Linkyo branded discs which have a much lower overall rating here. Hmmm...

-- merged --

Just got my own answer with a quick search. Taiyo-Yuden ending manufacturing discs in 2015 and passed on the name to CMC.

Mods, please close this thread before gamey sees it and hops in? "CMC Taiyo-Yuden" last 13 years in humidity and heat?"
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
but when did they start making Taiyo-Yuden.
Just got my own answer with a quick search. Taiyo-Yuden ending manufacturing discs in 2015 and passed on the name to CMC.
But don't make the mistake of thinking TY is now CMC. CMC owns TY, but the TY media is still being made with TY materials and processes. Just on CMC soil, sort of like Verbatim, and also an owned brand. CMC is one of the few media manufacturers with their own facilities now.

Quote:
Also, all the discs they sell are rated 4 stars+,
Hmmm...
- If users, no shocker, people often blame the wrong thing. example: junk drive, failed burn, but the disc is at fault?
- If the site, also no shocker, just marketing so they can divert you to what they want to sell most. Linkyo owns SuperMediaStore.

Quote:
Mods, please close this thread before gamey sees it

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs