Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Unconfirmed User

I am seriously confused by the number of questions you're asked going back several years about DVD media and storage conditions. If you're that worried about specifics, why don't you contact the manufacturers directly and ask them your questions?

Erich
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Erich: Some people have a need to carry on a dialog with cyber friends, real or hoped for, and to do this they need some shared interest about which to "talk," and asking takes the place of offering when there is little to offer. This "need" cannot be satisfied, and thus the dialog cannot be concluded even when the dead horse is beat beyond death and desiccation. While some might move on to a new and hopefully interesting topics to continue the exchange, that requires some imagination to find a new topic. (It seems that when the only tool in the shed is a hammer the discussion tends to remain focused on nails.)
02-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
why don't you contact the manufacturers directly
Manufacturers are not trustworthy. The optical recordable media field has been rife with BS since the 90s, a constant stream of unverified glowing claims. For example, 100-1000 year lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Some people have a need to carry on a dialog with cyber friends
This "need" cannot be satisfied
dead horse is beat beyond death
Reddit still has Kirk vs. Picard arguments. That was a fun debate in the BBS era, before we had shows like DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, or the Kelvin universe. It's almost as if those "Kirk vs. Picard" folks have been in an online time capsule for 30 years, unaware that we've had a dozen captains since.

For the record: Picard, and while we're at it, truck not monkey (Transformers).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-12-2019)
02-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

@gamemaniaco: You have made (as of now) 459 posts - all questions, no help for others, no answers.

MAKE A DONATION!!!
02-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Free Member

I'm beginning to wonder what's on these discs that needs to be preserved for 100 generations?
02-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
"Kirk vs. Picard"
Is that Tommy Kirk from the Mickey Mouse Club, and some French alcoholic beverage?
02-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Manufacturers are not trustworthy. The optical recordable media field has been rife with BS since the 90s, a constant stream of unverified glowing claims. For example, 100-1000 year lifespan.

Reddit still has Kirk vs. Picard arguments. That was a fun debate in the BBS era, before we had shows like DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, or the Kelvin universe. It's almost as if those "Kirk vs. Picard" folks have been in an online time capsule for 30 years, unaware that we've had a dozen captains since.

For the record: Picard, and while we're at it, truck not monkey (Transformers).
If the information of the manufacturers are true and official, the optical media CD / DVD / MDisc DVD has a maximum expectation of how many years at 25ºC 50%? if here I can not always keep this value and it suffers variations of 30-35ºC and 45-67% on dry days so in my case it is half of the maximum value?
02-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Free Member

It is a bit like Schrödinger's cat. As long as the disc is kept in storage and not accessed it will remain as new (or what ever state you prefer). But when you try to access the data on the disc it may be in another state. And in 30 years will it matter?
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-13-2019)
02-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Erich: Some people have a need to carry on a dialog with cyber friends, real or hoped for, and to do this they need some shared interest about which to "talk," and asking takes the place of offering when there is little to offer. This "need" cannot be satisfied, and thus the dialog cannot be concluded even when the dead horse is beat beyond death and desiccation. While some might move on to a new and hopefully interesting topics to continue the exchange, that requires some imagination to find a new topic. (It seems that when the only tool in the shed is a hammer the discussion tends to remain focused on nails.)
gamemanico has [sic] issues that won't allow him to take any answer as definitive. I can't find the links now, but back when he first started posting on videohelp.com (before he came here), I looked him up and he was banned from numerous non-video related sites, both English and Brazilian because he acted the same way he does here, endless questions.

At first I felt sorry for him [sic], but after he got banned again and again under his different names, I began to realize he's beyond help, at least until he accepts his behavior isn't normal or acceptable at many forums.

Sadly, his behavior isn't that uncommon. I've been a regular another non-video forum for a couple of years and there are a handful of posters there that act the same way. *SIGH*

Last edited by lordsmurf; 02-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
02-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
won't allow him to take any answer as definitive
It reminds me of young children: "Why?" and "Are we there yet?"

Education is a fundamental aspect of this site, and I've been a special lecturer many times in years past, so I'm used to questions. Including from students that just do not understand, even on the 2nd/3rd/4th go-around. Some concepts can be hard. And I will grant you that optical media concepts are really not all that easy.

It's also human to be over-curious. For example, wanting to understand how electricity works, but without knowing how to operate a light switch. Getting ahead of yourself, and trying to understand something that you really don't have to understand (in order to carry out a task).

But, at the same time, it can get annoying. So from time to time, a gentle thump on the nose is needed, swift kick, smack upside the head, knock some sense into the person.

Always remember to not derail threads too much. Any thump/kick/smack should come attached to answers.

Which brings me to this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
If the information of the manufacturers are true and official, the optical media CD / DVD / MDisc DVD has a maximum expectation of how many years at 25ºC 50%? if here I can not always keep this value and it suffers variations of 30-35ºC and 45-67% on dry days so in my case it is half of the maximum value?
You can't control the weather. You can only control your interior. And even then, not always. You can only do what you do. My advice to you remains unchanged. Probably 95%+ of your media will be good for at least 10 years. Nothing is 100%, and then re-scan values after 5 years (jitter/PIE/PIF/etc), re-copy any that act fluky.

Also retain multiple backup copies, including 2x+ DVD, HDD, stone tablets, paper, etc.
Preferably in multiple locations.

Quote:
It is a bit like Schrödinger's cat. As long as the disc is kept in storage and not accessed it will remain as new (or what ever state you prefer). But when you try to access the data on the disc it may be in another state. And in 30 years will it matter?
Without re-scan to spot-check, that's it entirely.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-13-2019)
02-13-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It reminds me of young children: "Why?" and "Are we there yet?"

Education is a fundamental aspect of this site, and I've been a special lecturer many times in years past, so I'm used to questions. Including from students that just do not understand, even on the 2nd/3rd/4th go-around. Some concepts can be hard. And I will grant you that optical media concepts are really not all that easy.

It's also human to be over-curious. For example, wanting to understand how electricity works, but without knowing how to operate a light switch. Getting ahead of yourself, and trying to understand something that you really don't have to understand (in order to carry out a task).

But, at the same time, it can get annoying. So from time to time, a gentle thump on the nose is needed, swift kick, smack upside the head, knock some sense into the person.

Always remember to not derail threads too much. Any thump/kick/smack should come attached to answers.

Which brings me to this...

You can't control the weather. You can only control your interior. And even then, not always. You can only do what you do. My advice to you remains unchanged. Probably 95%+ of your media will be good for at least 10 years. Nothing is 100%, and then re-scan values after 5 years (jitter/PIE/PIF/etc), re-copy any that act fluky.

Also retain multiple backup copies, including 2x+ DVD, HDD, stone tablets, paper, etc.
Preferably in multiple locations.

Without re-scan to spot-check, that's it entirely.
1) good quality media like Verbatim AZO DVD if they were stored at 25ºC 50% RH would have a durability of how many years? I want to know the maximum that optical media can come

2) In my storage conditions with variations of 30-36ºC 45-67% RH on days without rain you instructed me to recopy the files every 15 years years, is that correct? I do not know if those 15 years is from the burning of the disc or the partyir from the manufacture of the disc

3)
I do not trust HDDs they look frail but optical media are slowing manufacturing and worry is future
02-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

faça uma doação!
02-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

25ºC 50% RH = 77 F. That's not to different from the hottest/humid it gets inside my home during summer.

There are studies out there for exact numbers, from decades past. Offhand, I don't know, cannot answer your question.

My guestimate for 10 years is again unchanged for you, conservative minimum.

HDD arenn't any more frail than optical. Not better, not worse, just different.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-13-2019)
02-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
25ºC 50% RH = 77 F. That's not to different from the hottest/humid it gets inside my home during summer.

There are studies out there for exact numbers, from decades past. Offhand, I don't know, cannot answer your question.

My guestimate for 10 years is again unchanged for you, conservative minimum.

HDD arenn't any more frail than optical. Not better, not worse, just different.
if i put the files inside the hdd and save it without using for many years this hdd suffered from physical problems because it is mechanical, i burn dvd and store it, usb flash drive is cheaper and small

10 or 15 years? What is my case for making new copies? 30-35ºC 45-67% on days without rain and with high humidity and 29ºC

estimate from the burning date or date of manufacture of the DVD? I have to find out the year of manufacture of my dvds?
02-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

You're asking how long a piece of string is, before it's even being finished woven. There is no answer. There are guesses, which you've been given, but no definitive answers.

Seriously, 10 or 15 = yes. Pick one. I'm fine with either.

This thread is no longer on-topic, so

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (02-13-2019), JoRodd (02-14-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
storage optical media