digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Blank Media (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/)
-   -   What is the best way of storing CDs/DVDs at home? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/9219-best-storing-cds.html)

gamemaniaco 12-11-2018 01:27 PM

What is the best way of storing CDs/DVDs at home?

What is the best way and care of storing CDs and DVDs and optical media if I do not have air conditioning equipment and I do not have special rooms for humidity and temperature control? is the best option to maximize the life of Verbatim AZ-DVD and Verbatim MDISC DVD?

lordsmurf 12-11-2018 03:11 PM

- Handle with care.
- Put them in proper CD/DVD containers when not in use.

Essentially the same lesson you were taught in kindergarten: don't play rough with your toys, put them up when done.

It's that easy.

gamemaniaco 12-11-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 57723)
- Handle with care.
- Put them in proper CD/DVD containers when not in use.

Essentially the same lesson you were taught in kindergarten: don't play rough with your toys, put them up when done.

It's that easy.

I always handle the disc by the edges, I avoid touching other parts of the disc

What is the best CD / DVD container? do they protect from excessive moisture and heat?

it is very difficult to preserve optical media because they require humidity and temperature control, I have CDs, DVDs and MDisc DVD, some manufacturers say that good discs can last 100 years but I learned that it is marketing

lordsmurf 12-11-2018 03:32 PM

Then you're already doing everything you can.
We've covered cases and boxes on other threads of yours in past months/years. Re-read those.

gamemaniaco 12-12-2018 01:22 PM

What media is more reliable and secure? USB Flash Drive or HDD or cloud computing or Blu-Ray Disc?

1) For the long life of the optical DVD media is it better low humidity and higher temperature 30 to 35ºC or lower temperature 32ºC and higher humidity? temperature or humidity?

2)
DVD Case box black have any benefits to the long life of optical media DVD or MDisc?

BarryTheCrab 02-02-2019 02:29 PM

Lord Smurf, you should get a Nobel prize of some sort. Blue of course.

lingyi 02-02-2019 08:33 PM

gamemanico also deserves a prize for being here for over 5 years and asking variations of the same questions 453 times http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/memb...memaniaco.html :mad4:

Edit: Oh and getting banned at least four times at videohelp.com under different names, gamemanico, gamemanico2, samus87, mediafiles87 and numerous sites as gamemanico. Oh, he's also known as rocknroll racing. Beware!

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 10:38 AM

DVD Case box black have any benefits to the long life of optical media DVD or MDisc?

lordsmurf 02-10-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 59298)

Better than clear cases.

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59299)
Better than clear cases.

black dvd case protects only from light has no influence on temperature and humidity? thanks for the LS tips

lordsmurf 02-10-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 59301)
black dvd case protects only from light has no influence on temperature and humidity? thanks for the LS tips

Yes.

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59302)
Yes.

optical media cd, dvd, mdisc dvd suffer more with high humidity or high temperature (35 / 36ºC)? which is more detrimental to long term durability? case dvd black no protect variations humidity and temperature?

lordsmurf 02-10-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 59303)
optical media cd, dvd, mdisc dvd suffer more with high humidity or high temperature (35 / 36ºC)?

Yes.

Quote:

case dvd black no protect variations humidity and temperature?
No.

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59304)
Yes.
No.

you did not respond if it is more harmful for long term storage of optical averages temperature or humidity

lordsmurf 02-10-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaniaco (Post 59305)
averages temperature or humidity

Both.

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59306)
Both.

none of them is more or less harmful? have sites that are humid and colder and have locations that are warmer and have lower humidity

lordsmurf 02-10-2019 12:31 PM

The question is bad.
Knives and guns.
I throw machetes, shoot waterguns. Which is worse?
I throw plastic butter knives, shoot AK47. Which is worse?

Heat and humidity. No qualifiers, no answer.

gamemaniaco 02-10-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59308)
The question is bad.
Knives and guns.
I throw machetes, shoot waterguns. Which is worse?
I throw plastic butter knives, shoot AK47. Which is worse?

Heat and humidity. No qualifiers, no answer.

1) If I keep same disc the optical media in place cold and humidity the durability is the same as storing the discs in a warm and dry place?

2) Are there any storage guidelines and tips if you do not have humidity and temperature control equipment?

dpalomaki 02-11-2019 09:42 AM

To restate lordsmurf's 12:31 from yesterday

How warm is warm?
How cold is cold?
How humid is humid?
How dry is dry?
Now much and often does the storage environment cycle between humid and dry, warm and cold?

Every disk formulation will behave differently from other formulations. And only the manufacturer knows the behavior (and maybe some obscure test lab somewhere) for sure.

Since you are apparently unwilling to believe and thus ignoring the information and advice provided in responses to over 450 posts here, NOTHING you are able and willing to do will make any significant difference in the expected useful life of your disks.

gamemaniaco 02-12-2019 05:47 AM

Does indirect sunlight light in my cardboard box greatly affect the storage temperature? my cases with the disks are inside this cardboard box, I just look for the best form of storage if I do not have special rooms