01-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Free Member

I would like disc identification on Rodisc DVD+R DLs.

This is why: I bought a pack of dual layer discs, branded by Rodisc, in a Factory Direct store. I must have tried five of those discs and all were bad burns. Took them back and requested another brand: Databyte. Same thing happened. Returned them and got a refund.

This problem was pretty unique, if you will, as both my old colmputer's Benq DW1620 and the Matsushita drive on my mother's laptop rejected discs from both brands.

I know Databyte has a stinky reputation as it is made from Ume. But what of Rodisc (and no, it's not Prodisc; the P is missing)? What is the disc ID?

Thank you for your help in advance.

EDIT: I would like to add that the drives perform exceptionally when reading DVD+R DL discs (or DVD-9) and burning/reading DVD-R/+R discs, so I would expect that the drives have no errors in that respect.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Being that it's also a no-name brand, I'd not be surprised if it was also UMEDISC junk.
The only way to know for sure is to check the media ID.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: laukinming (01-21-2019)
01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Free Member

Thanks, lordsmurf.

By the way, how do I edit my posts? I am sorry that I made a double post.

EDIT: Ah, never mind.
01-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by laukinming View Post
By the way, how do I edit my posts? I am sorry that I made a double post.
EDIT: Ah, never mind.
Posts can be edited for 60 minutes. After that, Site Staff only can do it.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: laukinming (01-21-2019)
01-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Free Member

All right guys, are the Verbatim AZOs the superior model of all other Verbatim series? I'm wondering because I didn't catch a mention of AZOs.

However, I will be sorry if I overlooked one.

Thanks.

Last edited by laukinming; 01-20-2019 at 07:44 PM.
01-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Yes. Only Verbatim AZO discs (SL and DL) which are manufactured by CMC Magnetics using AZO dyes to Verbatim specs.

Beware as Verbatim is packaging non-AZO discs in packaging almost exactly the same as AZO. Read this thread I posted at videohelp.com to help spot the difference: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...-AZO-packaging
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: laukinming (01-21-2019)
01-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Free Member

I hate to sound ignorant, but it seems that it was pretty easy to spot false AZO packaging: the blue and orange, or the ones that have either the words "Life" or "Value," right?

If I'm wrong, just tell me I'm stupid.

Thanks for the heads up though.

EDIT: This is what I have in mind: https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=041213
01-21-2019, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Yes, make sure it has the AZO logo somewhere on the label and make sure whomever you buy it from takes returns if it's non-AZO as they may have made an honest mistake and mistaken the orange or purple Life Series packaging for AZO discs.

Years ago, when the Life Series first came out, they were stocked on store shelves right next to the remaining AZO stock and shared the same SKU in the stores system. I used to see OfficeMax and Office Depot ads showing the AZO packaging in their ads, but when you got to the store, all they had was the then new blue and white Life Series packages. As far as anyone in the store was concerned, it was just different packaging.
01-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Free Member

Well, I'm only interested in getting Dual Layer discs and from Verbatim's AZO series, which are much-touted by many users online.

There seems to be only one form of dual layer Verbatim DVDs, and that's the one I linked, but I could be wrong.

If I'm wrong though, it looks like I'm screwed.

EDIT: Just checked out the store I linked the product information from, there appears to be many variations of Verbatim's DVD+R DL products. I'm screwed. Oh well, there seems to be only one AZO DVD+R DL package and not diluted with other packs like AZO Data Life or AZO Life Series. I'll be extra careful.

Last edited by laukinming; 01-21-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Wrong words taken out.
01-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Well, I'm only interested in getting Dual Layer discs and from Verbatim's AZO series, which are much-touted by many users online.

There seems to be only one form of dual layer Verbatim DVDs, and that's the one I linked, but I could be wrong.

If I'm wrong though, it looks like I'm screwed.

EDIT: Just checked out the store I linked the product information from, there appears to be many variations of Verbatim's DVD+R DL products. I'm screwed. Oh well, there seems to be only one AZO DVD+R DL package and not diluted with other packs like AZO Data Life or AZO Life Series. I'll be extra careful.
You're on the right track. Get the discs you linked to in your other post. Note that if you search AZO on that site, only the DL and DVD-R (which isn't available) come up.

Yes, there is only one Verbatim AZO DL disc, the DVD+R DL you've linked to.

To clarify, Verbatim is the brand name. AZO is the dye formulation proprietary to Verbatim and only discs that use that dye formulation will be have the AZO logo as shown here:

Verbatim has made it harder by packaging their generic (i.e. poor quality CMC manufactured disc) Life Series in the same purple and orange packaging as the original Verbatim discs, which were all AZO until about 10-12 years ago. They've also shrunk the AZO logo (as shown on my link above) to make it harder to spot.

The DataLifePlus series is reportedly still AZO, but not worth the chance if you don't see the AZO logo on the packaging.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d556d9ad3848346fb08bd4e4a9b1e81bd44b973a.jpg (34.8 KB, 2 downloads)

Last edited by lingyi; 01-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
01-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Also, use Imgburn for burning your discs and allow it to determine the layer break for maximum compatibility and chance of success (which isn't 100% with DL discs).
01-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Thanks, lingyi, for everything.

You are very helpful.
01-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Also, use Imgburn for burning your discs and allow it to determine the layer break for maximum compatibility and chance of success (which isn't 100% with DL discs).
Sorry for asking, but is this by default?
01-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Sorry for asking, but is this by default?
Layer break detection is automatic. But you can manually change it -- and sometimes should.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: laukinming (01-22-2019)