Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Perhaps pray to the DVD gods to take mercy on your collection?

Seriously, nothing more can be done.
Light and humidity are the main problems, and you've addressed those.
Time is the other factor, and unless you have a DeLorean parked outside, you can do nothing about it either.

Move on to another hobby. Perhaps woodworking?
I'm going to migrate all the data to a new media after 10 or 13 or 15 years the count of the years starts from the year of burning the data on the disk or the count of years starts from the date of manufacture of the DVD?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2019, 09:28 AM

1) I migrate all the data to a new media after 10 or 13 or 15 years the count of the years starts from the year of burning the data on the disk or the count of years starts from the date of manufacture of the DVD?

2)
What are the highest humidity and temperature conditions every day to estimate 15 years of expectation?
02-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Unconfirmed User

I should have heeded the warnings. I give up.

Erich
02-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
I should have heeded the warnings. I give up.

Erich
"...the only winning move is not to play."
02-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
1) I migrate all the data to a new media after 10 or 13 or 15 years the count of the years starts from the year of burning the data on the disk or the count of years starts from the date of manufacture of the DVD?
Neither. Calculate 100% since date used + 50% since date bought.
So unused for 10 years = 5 years aged.
This is not overly scientific, but is based on anecdotal evidence from past 15+ years. And again, aggressively conservative, especially since you basically live in my temp/humidity of my garage or attic.

^ That was a good question.

But this one, not so much...
Quote:
2) What are the highest humidity and temperature conditions every day to estimate 15 years of expectation?
I don't know. How long is a piece of string?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-18-2019)
02-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Neither. Calculate 100% since date used + 50% since date bought.
So unused for 10 years = 5 years aged.
This is not overly scientific, but is based on anecdotal evidence from past 15+ years. And again, aggressively conservative, especially since you basically live in my temp/humidity of my garage or attic.

^ That was a good question.

But this one, not so much...
I don't know. How long is a piece of string?
I do not use the DVD and MDisc discs, simply I burn them and I store them as backup in black dvd cases and inside enclosed cardboard boxes but if you tell me to migrate the data after 13 years, those 13 years are counted to from burning or making the disc? I bought the discs in 2016, I burned in 2017 and 2019 but I do not know the year of manufacture of the discs

40ºC 80-90% would be the correct for optical media DVD live 15 years? 25 ºC 50% is 30 or 50 years
02-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I do not use the DVD and MDisc discs, simply I burn them and I store them as backup in black dvd cases and inside enclosed cardboard boxes but if you tell me to migrate the data after 13 years, those 13 years are counted to from burning or making the disc? I bought the discs in 2016, I burned in 2017 and 2019 but I do not know the year of manufacture of the discs

40ºC 80-90% would be the correct for optical media DVD live 15 years? 25 ºC 50% is 30 or 50 years
I said nothing about manufacture, re-read my post.
Date bought = 2016, about 2 years ago, so let's say aged 1 year.
It may actually be more like a curve, no real aging for 1st 5 years, but that's probably too complex for now. I should probably make a new guide for longevity. (Some folks here give you a hard time for repeating yourself, which is not good, but you do ask decent questions at times.)

I don't care to answer temperature questions anymore. Re-read my past posts on that topic. When making a longevity guide, I'll consider doing one that has more granular temp/humidity quotas. But I can't do that for a while.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-18-2019)
02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about manufacture, re-read my post.
Date bought = 2016, about 2 years ago, so let's say aged 1 year.
It may actually be more like a curve, no real aging for 1st 5 years, but that's probably too complex for now. I should probably make a new guide for longevity. (Some folks here give you a hard time for repeating yourself, which is not good, but you do ask decent questions at times.)

I don't care to answer temperature questions anymore. Re-read my past posts on that topic. When making a longevity guide, I'll consider doing one that has more granular temp/humidity quotas. But I can't do that for a while.

Could you please create a new estimate of approximate longevity for my discs? I bought spindle of MDisc DVD Verbatim on the Amazon and I bought spindle of DVD-R Verbatim AZO on ebay both at the end of 2016 so I burned the discs in the beginning of 2017 but I do not know the actual year of manufacture of the discs on my conditions of storage I calculated with digital hygrometer in house temperature variations 30 to 35.7ºC and 45 to 67% RH on days without rain on a few days of rain in the year the temperature between 28-29ºC and the high humidity, these are all the information that I own it but I do not know how much time the optical discs mdisc dvd and dvd-r azo verbatim will live in these conditions, i store in black cases of dvd and cardboard box
02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Could you please create a new estimate of approximate longevity for my discs?
No. The (somewhat blind) estimate of 10-15 years stands as is. If you want to calculate something more precise, based on all the variables you have, and info you've been given, then you can do so on your own.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-19-2019)
02-19-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No. The (somewhat blind) estimate of 10-15 years stands as is. If you want to calculate something more precise, based on all the variables you have, and info you've been given, then you can do so on your own.
1) 15 years full is an age for dvd-r and mdisc dvd burned have incorrigible reading errors dead disc? in my storage conditions 15 years is dangerous for data loss compared to 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 years?

2) I bought the discs in 2016 and burned it in the beginning of 2017, the count of years is made from 2016?
02-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Free Member

gamemaniaco:

YOU ARE A NON-PAYING (FREE) MEMBER.
Forum rules state that non-paying members have lower priority for responses than paying members and it may take days for staff to respond.

But more to the point you were warned by forum staff not to ask the same question repeatedly. Several forum participants have already suggested you should be banned. As an third party observer it seems to me you stand at risk.

Read over your past several years of related posts/threads.
Print the threads out.
Find someone of average intelligence to translate them into your native tongue so you can understand them.
And no matter what you do, do not count on the optical media lasting beyond 13 or so years. Some may fail before that.

As for the M-DISC.
The conclusions I have read run something like:
50% of discs will still be readable after 1000 years (which also means that 50% will not be readable)
95% after about 500 years.
98% after say 200 years
99% maybe after 100 years
All this assumes no physical abuse to the media including disruptive thermal shocks.

The bottom line is does anyone beside you really care about what you have on optical media (sounds a bit like bootleg/pirated copies of games)? If not just plan for how long you think you will continue to live by following the suggestions provided to you in the many threads you started.
02-25-2019, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
gamemaniaco:

Several forum participants have already suggested you should be banned. As an third party observer it seems to me you stand at risk.
*raises hand* Ohh...ohh...where do I sign the ban petition!

Oh wait, if he's banned here, he'll just show up at Videohelp for the 5th, 6th, 7th time!
02-25-2019, 11:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
*raises hand* Ohh...ohh...where do I sign the ban petition!

Quote:
1) 15 years full is an age for dvd-r and mdisc dvd burned have incorrigible reading errors dead disc? in my storage conditions 15 years is dangerous for data loss compared to 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 years?
2) I bought the discs in 2016 and burned it in the beginning of 2017, the count of years is made from 2016?
Sure, 10-15 years. Maybe. Conservative guestimate. For a more exact answer, you'll need to visit the land of the heliphino. Turn left at Albuquerque ... or was it right? Better ask the rabbit. Where is that long-eared varmint anyway?

I bought discs in 2001 that are still fine. Good PVC, MXL, TY, and others. I won't reburn. That data was along ago ripped or copied to HDD, and those HDD backed up, and backed up again. Some data yet again put on BD-R, and stored in a safe.

Confuscious say: Never pissith off the mod whoth havith the bannith power. And ye are close. Capiche?

I'm nice to you, but you seriously have to stop asking the same sh!t over and over again.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (02-26-2019)
02-26-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:

Sure, 10-15 years. Maybe. Conservative guestimate. For a more exact answer, you'll need to visit the land of the heliphino. Turn left at Albuquerque ... or was it right? Better ask the rabbit. Where is that long-eared varmint anyway?

I bought discs in 2001 that are still fine. Good PVC, MXL, TY, and others. I won't reburn. That data was along ago ripped or copied to HDD, and those HDD backed up, and backed up again. Some data yet again put on BD-R, and stored in a safe.

Confuscious say: Never pissith off the mod whoth havith the bannith power. And ye are close. Capiche?

I'm nice to you, but you seriously have to stop asking the same sh!t over and over again.
I do not want to be banished and I understand your kindness

I will wait 15 years to make new copies and I think that my storage conditions 30-35.7ºC 45-67% RH on days without rain are good conditions for this estimate 15 years

Do I need to find out the year of manufacture of the dvds to calculate the remaining years of 15?
03-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Is it true that you have burned DVD-R discs in 2001 that are still good? What is the temperature and humidity of your region and what did you do to these discs still good?
03-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Is it true that you have burned DVD-R discs in 2001 that are still good? What is the temperature and humidity of your region and what did you do to these discs still good?
My oldest discs are PVC media, which came with my Pioneer 103 drive (the first DVD-R general drive). They're fine.

In the past 20 years, I've been in 4 climates
- hot semi-dry/humid, 2 years
- warm dry, 3 years
- cool dry (cold to me!), 6 years
- hot humid, 6 years

- dry was about 30% RH average
- semi was about 50%
- humid is often 95%, year round

- Probably 6+ months out of the year was at/under 50 degrees F for the cool climate.
- But hot/warm is about 9 months of 75-95 F, 3 months in 40s-60s F.

But those are outside temps. Some hot/cold and humid gets in, but AC + heat means temperature controlled.

Now then, part of my media research involved storing discs outside, in attics, garage, and outbuildings. Mostly CD-R, pressed CD, pressed DVD, but some varied DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW as well. The RW all bit the dust, the good DVD-R/+R all held up as expected. Marginal failed.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-02-2019)
03-02-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
My oldest discs are PVC media, which came with my Pioneer 103 drive (the first DVD-R general drive). They're fine.

In the past 20 years, I've been in 4 climates
- hot semi-dry/humid, 2 years
- warm dry, 3 years
- cool dry (cold to me!), 6 years
- hot humid, 6 years

- dry was about 30% RH average
- semi was about 50%
- humid is often 95%, year round

- Probably 6+ months out of the year was at/under 50 degrees F for the cool climate.
- But hot/warm is about 9 months of 75-95 F, 3 months in 40s-60s F.

But those are outside temps. Some hot/cold and humid gets in, but AC + heat means temperature controlled.

Now then, part of my media research involved storing discs outside, in attics, garage, and outbuildings. Mostly CD-R, pressed CD, pressed DVD, but some varied DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW as well. The RW all bit the dust, the good DVD-R/+R all held up as expected. Marginal failed.
I liked your test but my conditions of 30-35.7ºC and 45-66% RH every day without rain fits in what kind of weather? semiarid are their permanent conditions very different from my conditions? I already had DVDR pressed and I thought it was high quality

Do you have any special care when storing the discs so that moisture and heat affect the disc in a minimal way?

Are you a great optical media student?
03-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Wow! I'm giving you a bit of benefit of doubt as English isn't your first language, but this is the worse thing you've ever posted! It comes across as "Do you know what you're talking about?". How dare you post this after all the years and hundreds of answers ls has given you!

BTW, if powatrin is you as I and others suspect posting at videohelp, be prepared to be quickly banned yet again!

@lordsmurf

I apologize if I'm overstepping my boundries with what I post below, but I take great offense when ANYONE questions your knowledge and understanding of the topics you respond to.

@gamemanico

*Taking deep breaths to calm down*

I don't know if you've read this, http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/9242-years.html , but you (especially) should be so grateful that lordsmurf is still around to answer your questions. This is one of the reasons I'm so supportive of him here and at videohelp. I remember when he was absent from videohelp during this period and I (and so many others there) were so grateful when he returned.

I don't always agree with him and he's mellowed out a lot over the years, but a he's a truly knowledgeable video guru and usually right!

He didn't talk about it in the thread above, but in addition to almost losing his life, he was left with very large medical bills (he talked about at videohelp, as I recall only because it was brought up, either by myself or someone else) that he's probably still paying today. The fact that (to my knowledge) he didn't post about it here or at least doesn't bring it up again shows how much of a truly admirable person he is.

As has been mentioned, the least you could do is join as a premium member to show him the respect and appreciation he deserves. It comes out to pennies per post you've made here.

-- merged -- --

Rethinking and rereading your post, I can see you probably meant it as a compliment, "Are you a great optical media student?", as in "You know a lot about optical media?". My apologies if that was what was meant.
03-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I can see you probably meant it as a compliment, "Are you a great optical media student?", as in "You know a lot about optical media?".
I'm fairly certain that's what he meant.

Quote:
I liked your test but my conditions of 30-35.7ºC and 45-66% RH every day without rain fits in what kind of weather? semiarid are their permanent conditions very different from my conditions? I already had DVDR pressed and I thought it was high quality
Offhand, I don't really know. Since DVD media is largely an abandoned format now, and almost nothing has changed in the 2010s, I'm not as involved as I once was. I can't input numbers into my head like a calculator, especially since the equations are now fuzzy. I know where all the research is, but its not well sorted, and not something I have time to dig out.

Quote:
Do you have any special care when storing the discs so that moisture and heat affect the disc in a minimal way?
No, not for you, based on your statements if environment.
Silica, I guess, but it spoils after a time. Cardboard has moisture absorbing properties, like a poor man's silica (and I actually use it to pull cigarette stink from paper, works well for that). Those dehumidifying cabinets are interesting, but that probably intended for a room that's air conditioned and/or heated.

Quote:
Not a student, but the teacher.

I've consulted with law enforcement, archivists, media companies, and others over the years. And in fact have given guest lectures or interviews to students, where the topic included optical media. Only 1 student was deep into optical media, and I gave her a lot of documentation I had at the time, down to unused patent filings. Also some funny stories, such as "naked-geek" on VH, or the "the digital dolphin" (aka "dolphinius rex") who was a real life version of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons (seriously!).

Quote:
that he's probably still paying today.
This was all eventually resolved, but took years. Some was reduced, some forgiven, but still not cheap.

Rant: We try to keep politics off this site, but my experience is a perfect example of why this country needs single-payer healthcare, like almost every other modern civilized country. For a person to have a catastrophic life-altering health issue, only to be given a 6-figure bill when eventually discharged from the hospital, is insanity. /rant

Quote:
As has been mentioned, the least you could do is join as a premium member
It's how we fund the site.
Not with clickbait and plastering ads, but with the memberships and donations.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-03-2019), leeoverstreet (03-05-2019)
03-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that's what he meant.

Offhand, I don't really know. Since DVD media is largely an abandoned format now, and almost nothing has changed in the 2010s, I'm not as involved as I once was. I can't input numbers into my head like a calculator, especially since the equations are now fuzzy. I know where all the research is, but its not well sorted, and not something I have time to dig out.

No, not for you, based on your statements if environment.
Silica, I guess, but it spoils after a time. Cardboard has moisture absorbing properties, like a poor man's silica (and I actually use it to pull cigarette stink from paper, works well for that). Those dehumidifying cabinets are interesting, but that probably intended for a room that's air conditioned and/or heated.

Not a student, but the teacher.

I've consulted with law enforcement, archivists, media companies, and others over the years. And in fact have given guest lectures or interviews to students, where the topic included optical media. Only 1 student was deep into optical media, and I gave her a lot of documentation I had at the time, down to unused patent filings. Also some funny stories, such as "naked-geek" on VH, or the "the digital dolphin" (aka "dolphinius rex") who was a real life version of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons (seriously!).

This was all eventually resolved, but took years. Some was reduced, some forgiven, but still not cheap.

Rant: We try to keep politics off this site, but my experience is a perfect example of why this country needs single-payer healthcare, like almost every other modern civilized country. For a person to have a catastrophic life-altering health issue, only to be given a 6-figure bill when eventually discharged from the hospital, is insanity. /rant

It's how we fund the site.
Not with clickbait and plastering ads, but with the memberships and donations.
thank you very much for your patience and calm Lordsmurf, your intention is only to help me

The DVD format has been abandoned and does that mean that in 10-15 years it will not be possible to read and burn CD / DVD / MDisc DVD?

Silica gel saturates fast and needs changing at all times and dehumidifying cabinets are expensive and unfeasible, storing the cases of dvd inside enclosed cardboard boxes is a serious problem of humidity? the cardboard box I know it protects from light and I put several cases of black dvd inside it

preserve optical media naturally in the correct room, do you use silica?
Closed Thread

Tags
question