Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Unconfirmed User

I'm going to try one last time...

Please stop asking the same question over and over. The answer to your problem is not figuring out how long your media will last in your temperature and humidity conditions. The answer is to control those conditions.

Go look anywhere that documents, film movies, or even cigars, are stored. They are in environmentally controlled enclosures. Go buy a small sealed cabinet that controls temperature and humidity and you will not have to worry about those variables any more. I already gave you a link to a list of many different kinds.

Did you even look at those? They are not expensive. The active cabinets start at around $150 and storage containers with humidity control start at around $50.

Lordsmurf, I admire your patience!

Erich
The following users thank ELinder for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-07-2019)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

my reasoning is correct if I bought the MDisc DVD Verbatim final of 2016 and I burned it in 2017 store and not use this discs +15 years in 2032 I will have to make new copies of the files in new media?
03-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
my reasoning is correct if I bought the MDisc DVD Verbatim final of 2016 and I burned it in 2017 store and not use this discs +15 years in 2032 I will have to make new copies of the files in new media?
That's correct.

And, just for amusement...

Halley's comet returns in 2061, and will probably erase all hard drives and optical discs. No reason, just because. I remember the last time it was here, and heard nonsense related rumors back then. Sort of like Hale-Bopp (95), Y2K or 2012. "OMG the future is coming! Run for the hills!"

My point is you can't fear the future, or over-protect for it. Caring for archived discs is fine, but putting DVDs in a survivalist's bunker is just insane. You've come close to that at times, but must resist the insane temptations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-05-2019)
03-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That's correct.

And, just for amusement...

Halley's comet returns in 2061, and will probably erase all hard drives and optical discs. No reason, just because. I remember the last time it was here, and heard nonsense related rumors back then. Sort of like Hale-Bopp (95), Y2K or 2012. "OMG the future is coming! Run for the hills!"

My point is you can't fear the future, or over-protect for it. Caring for archived discs is fine, but putting DVDs in a survivalist's bunker is just insane. You've come close to that at times, but must resist the insane temptations.
1) this my reasoning of burn mdisc dvd verbatim in 2017 +15 years = 2032 make new copy is compatible with my conditions of variation 30-35.7ºC 45-67% on commons days without rain?

2) I do not have too much care to keep DVD MDisc with air-conditioned rooms or bunker I only try to store in the best possible way to make the disks go as long as possible if the opportunity to reduce 1ºC of temperature and less% of humidity occurs, this leaves me happy, currently I keep the dvd inside black case and I keep the case inside closed cardboard box closed
03-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Free Member

Since doing anything that costs money is out of the question, and you are not able or willing to do diagnostic testing of your media, just keep it simple.

0. Use fresh high quality media (no more than a year since you bought it) and protect blank discs from heat, water, and sun.
1. Verify the burn to make sure it is a good burn
2. Store the burned discs in a black plastic library cases.
3. Store the cases in whatever container is convenient; an unsealed (open) cardboard box is OK.
4. Store the boxes of discs above any likely water/flooding level in the house
5. Store the boxes as far from extremes and rapid changes in temperature, humidity, heat, sun, rain, as you can in the house.
6. Keep a backup copy stored somewhere off site if you can.
7. Make new copies every 15 years unless you encounter a reason to do it earlier, such as a major change available media or playback equipment. (And only copy the stuff you want to keep for another 15 years.)
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-05-2019), lordsmurf (03-07-2019)
03-05-2019, 07:40 PM

I did everything that you guessed except that the cardboard box is not open but it is closed, the cardboard box closed and not sealed and inside it is dark and on top of it there is another box, inside the closed bardboardbox are the cases with the disks, cardboard box closed is problem?
03-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Free Member

As long as the box is not sealed to be air tight, and the box above it is not crushing or leaking on the box under you should be OK.

However, all this is based on statistics. A small percentage of the discs/burns might not be up to par and could fail in less than 15 years. There is no practical way to predict in advance which discs from a given batch will fail early; e.g., in less than 15 years. That is why you should have backups/
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-07-2019), lordsmurf (03-07-2019)
03-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
As long as the box is not sealed to be air tight, and the box above it is not crushing or leaking on the box under you should be OK.

However, all this is based on statistics. A small percentage of the discs/burns might not be up to par and could fail in less than 15 years. There is no practical way to predict in advance which discs from a given batch will fail early; e.g., in less than 15 years. That is why you should have backups/
What is the problem if the cardboard box is sealed?

inside the cardboard box contains the cases with mdiscs the box is the same as the photo it is closed and by another cardboard box

all my burns on MDisc DVD that I did have passed ok in the ImgBurn test and in the Nero DiscSpeed ​​read test, will they fail before the age of 15?
03-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Free Member

I know I wasn't going to post on Gamemaniaco any more, but this is hilarious. Now images of the cardboard box, I can't imagine the next question! You, Gmo, have probably forgotten more about disc media that I will ever know, but that may be part of the problem!
03-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Dear Gamemaniaco:

What are on these precious DVDs that you want to preserve for eternity?
03-07-2019, 02:38 PM

I just want the answer to my questions above about the storage in the enclosed cardboard box and on the disks passed ok in the imgburn test and the nero discspeed read test
03-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
..all my burns on MDisc DVD that I did have passed ok in the ImgBurn test and in the Nero DiscSpeed ​​read test, will they fail before the age of 15?
No way to predict with 100% accuracy, but most should be OK. That is why you make backup discs.

A sealed box does not breath, has minimal air change over time. That might result in slightly higher long term average humidity exposure, but no realistic way to predict how much or its net effect, so the 15 year number stands.

THERE IS NO FURTHER VARIATION ON THESE QUESTIONS YOU CAN ASK THAT WILL RESULT IN A DIFFERENT ANSWER! SO GIVE IT UP AND GO TAKE CARE OF YOUR DISCS
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (03-07-2019)
03-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
No way to predict with 100% accuracy, but most should be OK. That is why you make backup discs.

A sealed box does not breath, has minimal air change over time. That might result in slightly higher long term average humidity exposure, but no realistic way to predict how much or its net effect, so the 15 year number stands.

THERE IS NO FURTHER VARIATION ON THESE QUESTIONS YOU CAN ASK THAT WILL RESULT IN A DIFFERENT ANSWER! SO GIVE IT UP AND GO TAKE CARE OF YOUR DISCS
My cardboard box is not sealed but it is tightly closed on all sides and another box on top of principal cardboard box, is there an air exchange in this situation, avoiding that the humidity of the rains accumulates for many days and damages the expectation of the disks? I think if I leave the box fully open it gets light and dust more easily

Thank you for your help
03-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Silly, silly you!

His post above is just the tip of the iceberg that's been created by answering his questions with anything less than pure tongue in cheek!
03-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

PLEASE. STOP. YOU. ARE. KILLING. ME.
03-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Any opening in the cardboard box is efficient to have air exchange and no moisture occur inside that will harm the dvd disks? only one box on top of the other, cardboard box below unsealed
03-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Please stop asking questions that have already been answered.
Por favor, pare de fazer perguntas que já foram respondidas.

You ignore answers that you are given.
Você ignora respostas que lhe são dadas.

No more help can be given to you.
Não mais ajuda pode ser dada a você.
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Free Member

What color are the boxes?
03-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
This is media forum.
In the video section.
In the subforum about blank media.

... and we're discussing the moisture retention of cardboard boxes? WTF?

No.
Hell no.

Done.

... and noting that that previous post about color was amusing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (03-10-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
question