04-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
How are you doing?

I hope everybody here is well.
And I hope your friends and family are well.

I am fine.
We're all doing fine here.

At my urging, we began to self-isolate back around Feb 25th (back when our orange leader was calling this a "hoax"). As many here know, I have health issues. MS can cause a wide array of problems, including chronic fatigue and muscle weakness, but also lesser-known issues such as problems breathing. So I must be extra vigilant. We have enough supplies to get through May before a restock is required.

Interesting times we're living in.
Many years ago, pre-internet (yeah, that long ago!), a professor told me that "May your life be interesting" was the worst you could wish upon somebody. Google claims it's an old Chinese curse/proverb. Seems accurate to me.

The irony of this lockdown is that I'm more busy offline than usual...

For example, since every meal must now be made at home, and we have a finite supply (ie, can't just run to the store to get more of something), I've been nominated the meal planner, head chef (sometimes cooking, sometimes not), and pantry manager (ie, rationing the food, so somebody doesn't gobble up something needed for later meals, especially the junk food like chips and cookies). It gets tiring.

And I've had to learn new skills.
For example, I gave myself my 1st-ever haircut this past weekend. Not bad, and thankfully I have a barber's trimmer (that I never thought I'd use, and had been stored new/unused a bathroom drawer for years).
But you know the ol' saying "let's say I won't quit my day job"? Yeah. No further comment needed.

Even shipping is also time-consuming and stressful.
UPS, Fedex and USPS all suck.
  • USPS left a package at the street, where anybody could steal it. Lazy, but not entirely incompetent compared to UPS and Fedex.
  • UPS is horrible. The worst situation was when, from the street, from the back of his truck, after it had rained, the a-hole worker threw a package in the yard (into the most wet and muddy part of the yard, of course!), while I was watching from the front door. I stepped outside, we had words. We called his local supervisor's number. We had more words when the supervisor tried to make an excuse and rationalize what the driver did. I've called in no less than 4 times now to file complaints.
  • Fedex doesn't understand social distancing. The package was sent "signed for". So the Fedex guy stands outside the glass storm door, holding a pen. He wanted me to step outside, share oxygen with him, take his germ-laden/everybody-touches-it/who-know-where-it's-been community pen, and scribble a useless scrawl on his tablet. Nope. "Sign it yourself." He signed it himself, and muttered as he walked away. More official complaints ("feedback").
When mail does arrive, it's quarantined in the garage, in labeled boxed.
For example, the Monday mail box reads "MON, check Wed", to give 24+ hours self-decontamination time. Anything plastic is further wiped down with alcohol or a wipe.
Even the smallest of tasks now require extra steps!

This is also proving to be the perfect time to stash some savings into retirement (stock market). So a lot of time M-F is spent following the markets, look for opportunities to buy dips. Trying to take wise long-term positions for maximum gains. Also some re-balancing of funds with disappointing past-years returns.

I've even developed some new habits. I drink coffee now! At night, after supper, we sit around the table, sipping coffee and playing board games.

But I do try to get to video tasks daily! I am here!

I've gotten concerned PMs and emails in the past couple weeks (THANK YOU!), so wanted to leave this message for others.

Anyway, again ... how are YOU doing? What's your story?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-08-2020, 02:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
At my urging, we began to self-isolate back around Feb 25th (back when our orange leader was calling this a "hoax"). As many here know, I have health issues. MS can cause a wide array of problems, including chronic fatigue and muscle weakness, but also lesser-known issues such as problems breathing. So I must be extra vigilant. We have enough supplies to get through May before a restock is required.
It was amusing for the first few years, but now this is the worse time to have an incompetent leader. His inaction has and will result in more dying needlessly. It is great that you have enough food until May, but the wave may not fully peak in Texas by then. Have you thought about ordering online in advance?

Quote:
Even shipping is also time-consuming and stressful.
UPS, Fedex and USPS all suck.
If you create an account with UPS, you can sign for packages online so you do not have to expose yourself to someone. Hopefully FedEx also has this option. Regarding the incident with the UPS guy, perhaps installing a camera would help. We have all seen the videos of the USPS/UPS/FedEx people kicking packages like they're footballs. If they don't respond to your complaints, you can publicly shame them on sites such as Twitter with your video. Often the people who handle the Twitter account are better able to direct your complaint to the right people, and I have had good success with this method.
The following users thank Winsordawson for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-09-2020), sevarre (04-11-2020)
04-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Free Member

Well other than work (some of you know I work in the medical field), and trust me if I could not sleep right now we have SO much going on... I SLEEP! And that is limited as my family responsibilities require undivided attention with my granddaughter as the world is ending in her eyes. I assure her that it is not. I had her think about the 150,000 yearly that die just in the States from lung cancer. And that we go about life not even considering that or panicking about how can we stop it.

Hopefully, this will run it's course and we will move forward with our lives in a positive direction. Don't get me going on the Government.. None of them do their job to the peoples liking, and I don't know a person qualified who wants to drag their life thru a ringer to be criticized for their every move.

That aside, I've been setting up my VHS SVHS DVHS BETA LASERDISC DVD HD DVD BLU RAY rack (did I leave something out? ) and prepping for the transfer of some 8mm family footage from the 40's and 50's.

Last edited by 16mmJunkie; 04-08-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users thank 16mmJunkie for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-09-2020)
04-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
How are you doing? :confused
At my urging, we began to self-isolate back around Feb 25th (back when our orange leader was calling this a "hoax").:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsordawson View Post
It was amusing for the first few years, but now this is the worse time to have an incompetent leader. His inaction has and will result in more dying needlessly.
Don't complain. Here in Italy we wasted a month, during which our leaders told us not to worry, to continue with the usual life, that in Italy the virus will not create big problems.
Result: for more than a month full Lock-Down, with prohibition to go out home except for "real and proven reasons of necessity" (Going to work, Pharmacy, food, etc...)
Empty cities, few people around, shops and businesses that do not offer basic necessities or services are closed, long row out the supermarket and "social distance" not less of one meter. At least the air pollution has dropped...

I think the sooner the quarantine starts and the sooner it gets out.

I use "house arrest" time to maintenance VCRs and testing some capture board (I saved from the trash dump a complete and full working PC with a Matrox RT.X100).
The following users thank enois for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-09-2020)
04-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
My family lives in a small-town gated community in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's a heavily populated neighborhood, mostly elderly but also plenty of young marrieds and kids. In the nearby area are several assisted living and rest homes. Two of them, sadly, had litle or no protective security in place. The result is dozens of virus infections. Luckily no one in our neighborhood is infected, and folks here are pretty strict about distancing and infrequent trips into town for goods. The wife and I and several neighbors regularly walk the rounds and knock on some doors to make sure everyone inside is OK.

Our dog was showing signs of sickness and needed his rabies shots, and we found the local county vet was open for business. But there were precautions. We had to wear gloves and masks and waited in the parking lot to call inside and tell them we had arrived. A vet came outside and walked/carried doggie in to the clinic. We went through the reverse when the treatment was completed. They took no cash; credit cards only, all handled outside in the parking lot.

Watching TV under these circumstances is a hassle because the news programs are so upsetting. We stick to the movie and animal channels. Local and network news always breaks in with Donald Rump's image, in which case whoever has the remote will quickly switch channels because Rump has no real-world information to depart anyway. One startling moment was a few days ago when Rump unexpectedly appeared on the Weather Channel and no one was ready with the remote so I hit the power button on the TV. Sad, the Weather Channel is no longer a refuge from the current stream of neo-fascists. So it's NatGeo Wild, Animal Planet, Turner classic Movies, etc. from here on out. We get news and weather on our Androids or the internet where we can bypass unwanted references to the current SNAFU crowd.

Outside of our family, we have a brother and sister in law in New York and relatives in New Rochelle's containment zone. So far, all are well. The brother has just built a $400,000 house in a new development near here but can't do anything about it -- no travel allowed for the time being, and he still lives 740 miles away. I have a brother living near Chattanooga but they're 25 miles from the nearest public activity, so they're OK for now until they have to go out and somehow forge for food. My aging mother is bedridden in a rest home in Memphis which has been totally closed off to all visitors. Unfortunately she's so slow and weak that she can't even use a cell phone.

And I'm going though thousands of hours of old and unrestored captures, and finally replaced the Win7 laptop with a home built Win7 PC. I hate Win10 but just a few weeks ago I found a Win10 laptop on clearance, just in time for the virus to keep me from shopping. I have a touch of COPD myself and often have some tough chemotherapy for a skin condition. So I'm not taking any chances.

Stay well, everyone.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-09-2020)
04-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Free Member

Sorry, it drives me nuts when people say Trump claimed the virus was a hoax. In the clear context of his statement he said the Democrats' CRITICISM of him regarding the steps being taken was the next hoax. I watched it, and that is what he said and that is how I took it. Throw me out if you want. I should listen to my signature but sometimes I break.

Last edited by BarryTheCrab; 04-09-2020 at 08:14 PM.
The following users thank BarryTheCrab for this useful post: bigkazzyry (04-30-2020), lordsmurf (04-09-2020)
04-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
It is great that you have enough food until May, Have you thought about ordering online in advance?
1. I made some Walmart/Amazon orders, and those are slowly arriving.
2. We have somebody nearby, in an essential field (not sheltered-in-place, must work), acting as a personal shopper. When he needs supplies, he'll get the perishable staples we need on the same trip (bread, milk, eggs, prewrapped lettuce). We have no contact. He enters the garage, leaves. After a short while, then we wipe everything down and bring it inside.

Quote:
vbut the wave may not fully peak in Texas by then.
The peak is picking up here. However, almost no testing is being done, so numbers are artificially low. The hospitals and morgues are seeing higher traffic. And hospital admins and coroners/MEs are reporting high numbers of "presumptive" cases (especially Harris County, aka Houston). This is what happens in "red" states. No transparency, no accuracy. "If I close my eyes, you can't see me!"

TX had an ArcGIS map, like JHU is doing, and showed both tests and confirmations in the state. Then one day last week, updates just stopped. At the time, it was less than 35k tests for 29M people. So it was about 0.1% testing. Of the 35K tests, "only 2%" were confirmed. And the governor was bragging about these numbers.

Quote:
If you create an account with UPS, you can sign for packages online
That won't work. Then they can just toss the box wherever. Requiring signature means he must park, walk to the front door, and ensure it is actually delivered to a person. However, in these special times, it should mean the driver signs once I wave at him through the glass storm door, acknowledging receipt. And that's really what signature is for: the guaranteed receipt.

Quote:
perhaps installing a camera would help. We have all seen the videos of the USPS/UPS/FedEx people kicking packages like they're footballs. If they don't respond to your complaints, you can publicly shame them on sites such as Twitter with your video. Often the people who handle the Twitter account are better able to direct your complaint to the right people, and I have had good success with this method.
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16mmJunkie View Post
I work in the medical field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enois View Post
I saved from the trash dump a complete and full working PC with a Matrox RT.X100
Nice find! Jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
Sorry, it drives me nuts when people say Trump claimed the virus was a hoax. In the clear context of his statement he said the Democrats' CRITICISM of him regarding the steps being taken was the next hoax. I watched it, and that is what he said and that is how I took it. Throw me out if you want.
Context matters. Timelines matter.

On Feb 28, Trump used the word "hoax" in one of his standard incoherent rambling tirades, to one of his usual "rally" crowds. That incoherence is what has allowed different interpretations, though some are more far-fetched interpretations than others. The term "hoax" wasn't aimed at Democratic politician criticism. In the original monologue, he called the impeachment a "hoax", then directly referred to "this" (COVID-19) as "their new hoax". In that context, impeachment was not Democrat partisan criticism.

Trump then gave self-fellating statement about the spread of the virus in China, and how it would not happen in the USA. Only then, in full context, will you realize that "hoax" refers to the idea that COVID-19 will not spread in the USA. And any information about it spreading in the USA was therefore deemed a "hoax". Which, of course, is ridiculous, head-in-sand -- aka Trump's usual modus operandi.

It wasn't until later that he began backpeddling on what he "actually meant". Which, again, is the typical Trumpian modus operandi. Say something overly ridiculous one day, then try to make it less ridiculous the next.

Detailed breakdown here: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/tr...-the-new-hoax/
And here: https://www.politifact.com/article/2...gh-trumps-use-
Good reads, very historical and informative.

So, no ... he called it a hoax.

And no, you're not getting thrown out.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sevarre (04-11-2020)
04-10-2020, 02:51 AM
Free Member

Not meant to be insulting. If it is, delete.

Glad everyone is doing well. Stay safe and healthy.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 04-10-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Too much politics. -LS
04-10-2020, 03:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
Not meant to be insulting. If it is, delete.
And deleted.

It's almost impossible to discuss this virus without delving into politics. However it must be done with some degree of decorum and informative discussion. Not by parroting talking points (especially debunked ones), and not by using childish slang terms. If that can't be done, then refrain from posting anything that delves political.

Anyway, the main thrust of this discussion is as per the first post: How are you doing? What is YOUR story?

We're already getting politics ad nauseam on TV as it is. I read/watch for an hour max per day (mostly CNBC), then tune it out. As per my story, I'm struggling to complete tasks, as even the most basic of tasks is now complex. I don't have the time to pontificates politics endlessly, nor watch/read those that do.

Remember, with the exceptions of a few bad apples (or bad oranges?), we're all in this together:

wpswi200322.jpg

04-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Free Member

Understood. It seems one-sided, but your forum. I just wish you would delete all political stuff and insults. Remember, 1/2 the people like the "orange man," as you call him. Isn't that a childish slang term? Again, one-sided.

We come to a forum for video info, and are treated to a barrage of insults to our president. As you mentioned, there are other places to get that stuff. Many forums have a "no politics" rule.

Seems the man is trying to do what is best for the country, reduce trade imbalances, bring jobs home, etc. Not sure what is bad about that?

As for me and mine, we are well. I have been a prepper for years, and have a good supply. But like any plan, there were holes that have become apparent.

We have been getting some groceries every 2 weeks. Mostly perishables. We also shop for wife's parents, who are in their late 80's.

Seems the virus kills mainly the elderly or those with other issues, but there have been younger ones that have died.

Not sure the country will get back to any type of normalcy until there is an adequate supply of a treatment drug, be it HCQ or whatever. Hopefully a vaccine is coming, but I understand not a given.
The following users thank tryagain for this useful post: bigkazzyry (04-30-2020), lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Remember, with the exceptions of a few bad apples (or bad oranges?),
Clever...

Quote:
We come to a forum for video info, and are treated to a barrage of insults to our president. As you mentioned, there are other places to get that stuff. Many forums have a "no politics" rule
Most of the discussion on this thread regarding Trump has been facts, not insults. Facts that you do not agree with are not insults. Calling him orange is an apt description based on his face. Or, do you think his face is paler than the general population? Perhaps he looks like he has albinism? On the other hand, calling him stupid is an insult.

The problem is that many of his supporters (I know many) nary can find one point of criticism with their leader. While I detest him, I give him credit for working to reduce our trade deficit and pumping up the stock market (despite the long term consequences on the deficit). Likewise, many on the other side will never praise anything he does, even if that is helping an old woman cross the street. Those who are truly interested in arriving at the truth will be forced to overcome their confirmation biases.
The following users thank Winsordawson for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020), sevarre (04-11-2020)
04-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Most of the discussion on this thread regarding Trump has been facts, not insults.
Depends on which side of the fence you are on. I consider derogatory remarks to be insults. Comments on a person's physical appearance are considered PERSONAL ATTACKS. Comments on a person's policies are fair game, IN THE APPROPRIATE VENUE. Had I called Obama "Black Man," I would have been rightfully been accused of being racist. But I guess it is OK to make fun of the pigment of someone's skin as long as it isn't brown, no? Can you see the double standard here yet?

Lots to criticize the prez on. Often rude and crude. Bad hair. Hasn't done enough to reduce the deficit. I could go on, but this is a VIDEO forum. Or so I thought.

At least 2 of us have spoken out about the political BS in the forum. No doubt there are many more who have chosen to remain silent.

I just can't see why it would be beneficial to alienate potentially 1/2 of the population. I don't think the way to win someone over to one's side of an argument is to insult their views. If I were selling a product or service, alienating 1/2 of my market would not be good business.

When asked why he didn't offer an opinion on politics, Michael Jordan (supposedly) stated "Republicans buy Nike shoes too."

Stay well and healthy.
The following users thank tryagain for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Comments on a person's physical appearance are considered PERSONAL ATTACKS.
Comments on a person's policies are fair game, IN THE APPROPRIATE VENUE.
Had I called Obama "Black Man," I would have been rightfully been accused of being racist.
But I guess it is OK to make fun of the pigment of someone's skin as long as it isn't brown, no?
Can you see the double standard here yet?
Is the color of Trump's face because of a disorder or disability he has, i.e. was he born that way, like in the case of Obama? If so, I sincerely apologize. If not, it, in certain circumstances, can be an appropriate area of discussion as far as how it reflects his personal judgment. Would we not do the same if our president dyed his hair green, painted polka dots on his face, and wore a tutu?

This is the only thread I have seen on this forum that delved into the political, but I could be wrong. One thread out of 10,000 is not a catastrophe. This is the first time I have even mentioned it myself on here.

Quote:
Stay well and healthy.
Thank you. I hope we all get through this.
The following users thank Winsordawson for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I have been a prepper for years, and have a good supply. But like any plan, there were holes that have become apparent.
Politics are boring/boorish. I'm far more interested in this. What were your holes?

Quote:
Remember, 1/2 the people like the "orange man,"
alienating 1/2 of my market would not be good business.
Just for clarification, about 40% of the general population like him at any given time. However, most of that 40% tends to heavily skew white uneducated. And a technical task like DIY converting videos (or digital photo or web design/hosting) is generally not pursued by that same demographic. Furthermore, tech sites (including this one) have a large international user base. There's a reason you don't see right-wing tech sites: there's no sustainable audience for it. The modern conservative aversion to facts and science is diametrically opposed to the technical world. And this site is a microcosm compared to large tech sites like Ars Technica, where this has been discussed in depth many times.

But also remember that the opposite of right isn't left, in terms of political views. It's just "not right". Many conservatives have a difficult time understanding this, as most have a binary thought process ("us vs. them"). It's the ultimate straw man logic (logical fallacy), arguing with somebody that neither agrees nor disagrees with you. Most people disagree with both political parties on many issues. I know I do.

Quote:
Seems the man is trying to do what is best for the country, reduce trade imbalances, bring jobs home, etc. Not sure what is bad about that?
The knee-jerk plan-less method used is the problem. With COVID-19, it has directly led to countless (literally unknown accurate counts) of lost lives. It was also further hampered by narcissistic tendencies, such as not helping governors that "weren't appreciative enough" (ironically including "red" states like Montana).

Quote:
As for me and mine, we are well.

Quote:
Facts that you do not agree with are not insults. Calling him orange is an apt description based on his face.
Quote:
Had I called Obama "Black Man," I would have been rightfully been accused of being racist..
Quote:
Would we not do the same if our president dyed his hair green
I remember when Bill Maher referred to Obama as "chocolate Jesus". I was amused.
Maher liked him. I liked him. But funny is funny.
I have George Carlin's point of view: anything can be funny.
BTW, the Obama joke had reference in him been seen as some sort of savior, who would join the aisle-parted seas of Congress. It was a naive (and therefore ridiculous) idea, and obviously did not happen.

Trump clearly uses too much "fake tan" (bronzer cream), which is well known to turn skin a shade of translucent burnt orange. He looks like he fell face-first into a vat of dye for Easter eggs.

If I covered myself in Smurfy blue paint, or dyed my hair blue, or even overdosed on colloidal silver (which resulted in permanent blue pigmentation in the skin), I would fully expect to be referred to as "that blue dude" or called "a Smurf".

Quote:
This is the only thread I have seen on this forum that delved into the political
It is the only one. Again, because the COVID-19 has been intrinsically linked to politics, delving political is inevitable. It has happened on every single site I have come across. Some have been locked, many are being heavily moderated. Most course-correct after the initial political discussion is out in the open.

So with that out of the way, perhaps we can return to more of this...

How are you?
What's YOUR story?

04-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

In looking for ways to stay busy during this lockdown crap, the virus has affected the range of entertainment available at home. In my case, the first entertainment and info source to suffer was network and local news. The virus numbers are depressing enough, but the constant flood of politicians from both sides of the isle who spout endless garbage to cover their butts instead of actually getting anything accomplished has taken me away from all news broadcasts, even on PBS (who fool you by inserting between regular shows some quickie spots about their virus coverage that shows images and sound bites from the usual suspects).

That leaves the animal channels and a very few other sources, most of which is just bad TV (how many times can you suffer thru the Brady Bunch? It was bad enough the first time. Sorry, late boomers). For news I grew up with Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow; the youngsters haven't seen anything like those pros, they've been watching amateurs and hacks for 30+ years. That leaves us with an occasional PBS show or TMC movie, then quickly hop out of PBS to avoid the promo spots and into the 2500 or so classic and HD movies I've recorded over the past few decades, not to mention a couple hundred retail DVDs. And then I've rediscovered dozens of old VHS captures that I restored years ago and can now watch from beginning to end.

We also have books. Two rooms full. For those who don't know what they are, look it up. I just spent an hour laughing my way thru the New Yorker's tome on doggie cartoons. I also spent 90 minutes restoring three scenes from a current VHS capture. I'll get back to it again after dinner (a crockpot pork roast au jus, with little green peas and home made mashed potatoes. When that's eaten up in a day or two by the family it will be take-out time from the local Cracker Barrel down on the interstate).

So there must be something else to discuss besides the usual political b.s. from both sides, which is of no use to anyone, changes nothing, illuminates even less, and goes nowhere. It's too late for covering the botched past and the clown-infested circus that both sides in Washington have made of the present. The subject of the thread is how this virus crap currently affects you and yours. I'd be most interested in reading about that. If I see yet another whining post about the politics I'm going to have to eliminate this thread from my options list.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 04:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
That leaves the animal channels and a very few other sources
Surely you have a DLNA?

With
- no baseball on TV
- no new episodes of my favorite shows, since most current shows on hiatus, productions halted
- and literally zero non-COVID news (aside from CNBC, which is financial but still heavy COVID)

I have no use for broadcasted TV. For me, it's all WDTV, all the time.
My current binged show? Animaniacs.
Next up: George Reeves Superman!

Quote:
For news I grew up with Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow;
John Charles Daly deserves to be on that list.

Quote:
We also have books.

Quote:
I'll get back to it again after dinner (a pork roast with little green peas and home made mashed potatoes.
Yum. Tonight's menu here = barbecued sausage, corn, fresh mashed potatoes.
The best part? I'm not the chef tonight. Just the planner.

Quote:
it will be take-out time from the local Cracker Barrel down on the interstate).
Please be careful.

04-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm currently doing OK. Camping out with family on the opposite end of the state since I can "work from home". Left home before things went completely bonkers in Northern NJ. On the plus side, there is ZERO traffic around here now. Its eerie seeing huge 5-6 lane wide highways completely empty during weekday rush hours.

at states who clearly see whats happening in the NYC Metro area and taking forever to issue lock down orders.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
For news I grew up with Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow
John Charles Daly deserves to be on that list.
Plus Charles Kuralt and one or two others. All gone now.

Quote:
Quote:
it will be take-out time from the local Cracker Barrel down on the interstate).
Please be careful.
We're allowed to go out once every 10 days, essential trips only including groceries and medical, and local only. Most local restaurants here are closed, a few have outdoor or at-door service. We expect to take advantage only once a month, if necessary (a home fridge stores only so much food, and we've been in voluntary lockdown for almost 2 months). Our county has set up some pretty tight rules for restaurants. CrackerBarrel serves only to your car in their parking lot. Credit card pay only. Must wear a mask and gloves. Only one person allowed in the car. When you place an order by phone you're informed of rules and procedures. When your order is ready they call by phone and inform you of rules and procedures again before bringing the order to your car. So far, we've done it once. A CrackerBarrel dinner is good for 2 meals each. There are extra biscuits, good for breakfast next day. It's the wife who goes out, I'm disadvantaged because of COPD and chemo.

Which reminds me: my chemo sessions are 6 hours. The wife always went with me, we'd bring our electronics and browse or just mostly talk to each other. There are usually outside volunteers in the infusion ward who serve tea, water, soda, crackers, etc., and a roving chaplain. There is always chatting with them and merry goings-on. Now, with the virus....Absolutely No visitors allowed, including my spouse. She drops me off at the front door, where I'm tested for any symptoms. Later, I call her when I'm being "unwired" for discharge. I'm tested again when I leave. There are no volunteers, no chaplain, no roaming around by others in the ward. For 6 to 7 hours. Sucks.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)
04-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
There are extra biscuits, good for breakfast next day.
No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot make biscuits as good as Cracker Barrel. But we can top their meat loaf! And I can top their corn bread and carrots! So when I go, I always get the chicken-and-dumplings or the cod, maybe some fried okra (Dickey's is better), load up on the biscuits.

Now I'm hungry ... and I just finished eating.

04-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

This thread certainly took a fork in the road. Most amusing reading. Laughed out loud a few times. Even in such somber times, laughter remains essential. So thank you for that!

I cut the cord about 15 years ago. Wow, can that be right?! I think it is, anyway. I figured a lot of us on these forums are physical media types, and probably have more media than we can consume in a lifetime. Collector/hoarder types. It is certainly the one thing I collect. I am fortunate to have local newscasts (antenna, no cord ) that stick to presenting information and a bit of highlights on the national/global situation. If I stick around for the national network news, it's amazing how much different the coverage is. They just can't seem to turn it off. Mentioning how news used to be presented decades ago by Cronkite/Murrow, it really is amazing how much drama and inflection of voice is used nowadays by the national network anchors. They seem incapable of just presenting things with a normal voice as if they were just talking to you human to human. Anyways, not a TV watcher. Well, not what is currently broadcast anyway. I've got too much of my own content. My one source of online video is youtube from time to time. For the content, not for the quality of the video.

I work in the tech world and have been working from home for past 3 weeks. I live alone. I have no health concerns, and am middle aged (I'm middle-aged man! Ahhhh! For those of you who remember Mike Myers on SNL from early 90s. The show which makes up the majority of the video I'm in the process of digitizing). Although I am lower risk, I am quite aware of the role each of us play in the grand scheme, and so I limit myself to a grocery trip every couple weeks. Otherwise, completely self-quarantined. My parents are healthy for their age, but are of course in the high risk group. They live nearby. I see them only when I've been free of possible exposure and symptoms for about 2 weeks.

I have been able to find positivity for myself. The lack of obligations other than food and work has allowed me to spend as much of my time as possible on digitizing tapes. I usually feel there's not enough time for this stuff, as there's other things that need tending to. But for now, I've found myself as productive as I've ever been with nothing else to distract me. The importance of my mental and physical health is something I'm normally focused on. These times have only reinforced that for me, so I continue to focus on healthy diet, plenty of sleep, and mental health.

Going back to earlier, I find it difficult to understand how anyone can have good mental health if they are exposed to much of the "news". I should clarify. I say that from my experience living in the U.S. I cannot speak for other parts of the world. I don't live in a bubble. I do pay attention and try to find the few remaining places that present information as neutral as possible these days. I've come to realize that most of the sources of information are interested in your attention, and the sure way of doing that is through fear. And these are obviously very fearful times. But when the mind is in a state of fear, your "fight or flight" system is activated, and this causes stress to mind and body. So much of our physical health is tied to our mental health. Stress causes so much illness, more than many would consider. So the more the mind is at rest and not in a "fight or flight" state, the more healthy one is overall. So I've lived this way long before the current situation, realizing that an essential part of health and well being begins in the mind. I only mention this for others consideration that one should be connected to "news" to the extent necessary to be well informed, but should disconnect from what is primarily something that fuels fear, and therefore an elevated state of stress in the mind and body, which is harmful to one's health and well being. Focus on what one can control, and try to let go of the rest. Live in the present moment. Fear is a function of past or future orientations of the mind. If you are truly present in the moment, the mind is free of fear. Meditation is the best way I've found to observe this. Of course, the mind goes back to fear. But the mind can be trained through things like meditation. I was amazed at how much calmer I was in only a couple months after doing something as simple as meditating for a few minutes a day. Anyway, just sharing a bit of what's helped my mental/physical health profoundly.

Glad to hear others' status. Best of health to all of you. May you all remain safe and healthy!
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-10-2020)