Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

A fellow YouTuber put one to the test. The results really weren't all that surprising.

The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: archivarious (10-14-2020)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I just skimmed for now, but that's awful -- and to be expected, Legacy Box is a well-known sham operation that ruins video.

Not unironically, they advertise a lot of Fox News radio, trying to scare old people into converting "dying" videos. (I almost never listen to that station, because I'm not a fan of propaganda. And yet, every time I tune in, "Legacy Box blah blah blah".) But we know who their marks are, the audience catered to.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-13-2020, 02:01 AM
Free Member

Those are just a bunch of scammers running from an office building using new chinese toys because they don't have the skills to maintain old good quality gear, So if a device breaks they just get another one from Amazon or Aliexpress. I won't be surprised if they are using those chinese USB walkman cassettes and that's the reason why it couldn't playback the audio cassette, not enough torque from a crappy mechanism.
Obviously their business model is to finish the order as quickly as possible to leverage the heavy advertising costs and have plenty of profit left using the lowest software settings for quick video processing, and I'm certain that they don't check the resulting files.
10-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I just skimmed for now, but that's awful -- and to be expected, Legacy Box is a well-known sham operation that ruins video.

Not unironically, they advertise a lot of Fox News radio, trying to scare old people into converting "dying" videos. (I almost never listen to that station, because I'm not a fan of propaganda. And yet, every time I tune in, "Legacy Box blah blah blah".) But we know who their marks are, the audience catered to.
I wouldn't blame one particular radio network. I hear Legacy Box ads on the local ABC affiliate all the time. They simply advertise wherever the population skews old enough.
10-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formica View Post
They simply advertise wherever the population skews old enough.
That's what I meant.

They prey on the silver/white-haired crowd --- aka the average Fox News viewer, which heavily skews older, grayer, whiter. Much higher concentration of that demographic than elsewhere. And for whatever reason, that exact outlet uses fear, and these ads are slightly fear-based as well ("memories are fading away!").

Every now and again, I hear the ads on CNBC and MSNBC radio as well, but far less often. I've never seen any TV ads, or seen any print ads, just heard radio ads on XM.

If they ever ran print ads, I imagine that'd be targeting AARP magazines.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-13-2020, 01:01 PM
Free Member

The marketing is spectacular though. I was thinking this as I heard an ad a few months ago. No muss, no fuss. Just drop it all into a box. Great branding for a terrible product.
10-13-2020, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Not sure if it's the OP or not, but someone posted the same video at reddit.com/r/datahoarder. Someone posted they've heard the ads on podcasts too.
10-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Free Member

It's funny -- I've been thinking about offering transfer services as a little side business, and I was researching business models. If you google the best transfer services available, Google will tell you that Legacy Box is one of the best

It's a shame. Aside from being poor in its own right, it probably eats into the business of folks who care about their job and want to do it properly.
10-13-2020, 08:29 PM
Free Member

In the video above, a representative of LegacyBox says he cannot provide any more information because that is "proprietary". Most of the time when you hear that word you know that it's BS. If you are providing customers a real service with years of experience in using the right software and hardware, the average Joe isn't and probably doesn't have the ability to do the work himself.

You don't hear surgeons telling you, "I cannot disclose the method by which we replace your hip joint--that's proprietary." If anything, every surgical procedure is fully documented and available to the public because we know that it takes a great deal of knowledge and expertise to be a surgeon, and we're not about to perform our own appendectomy.

Only a tyro doing an inferior job would worry that if he or she told customers what their process was they would say "hey, I can do that!"

Tags
fail, review, video transfer services