digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Digital remastering (restoration, reconstruction) websites? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/11246-digital-remastering-restoration.html)

dima 12-05-2020 06:23 AM

Digital remastering (restoration, reconstruction) websites?

Do you know/exist American(USA) and/or English-language websites* concerning digital remastering(restoration, reconstruction) of audiovisual materials(e.g. among others: films(movies), series) - recorded on film reel(stock)(most often probably: 35 mm), which mainly concern, inform about technical and technological matters of this process, as well as news regarding it ?
I mean to a lesser extent the news about the "new remastered(restorated, reconstructed) film(movie)"(but also about it), and more about hardware, software - news, development of the entire process** etc.
Maybe you also have and know a website where all digitally remastered(restorated, reconstructed) English-language titles are listed(along with an indication of the remastering(restoration, reconstruction) image resolution: whether the title has undergone this process in, e.g.: 4K, 2K or HD)...

I know about the existence of this website: https://caps-a-holic.com/.

I'm not from an English speaking country(officially).

* and/or specific "tabs" on websites - mainly(only) or in part dedicated to this guess(topic).

** e.g: https://news.developer.nvidia.com/re...ion-and-above/ [although I know that this is mainly about: "artificial" upscaling(upconversion)[by using: Artificial Intelligence (AI)] - something generally next to digital remastering(restoration, reconstruction) - that can be done for example: after this process(digital remastering - generally writing)].

lingyi 12-05-2020 02:05 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=crit...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Note that each restoration has unique issues that must be overcome and new techniques must sometimes be created.

dima 12-06-2020 05:35 AM

Thank you for the answer and the link, although I'm waiting all the time and "accept" any further links, messages on these matters, if any(from you or someone else).

Maybe you know/exist internet forums or only threads in them dedicated to this topic ?

lordsmurf 12-06-2020 11:46 AM

That's generally not how it works.

For example, Caped Wonder had, for many years, done fan reconstructions with site members and contributors, to make the best version of the 70s/80s Reeves Superman movies that exist.

Original Trilogy is where all the Star Wars folks get together. There are some "also" projects, for non-SW fans, but not as much.

You need to go where the fans are for the "help wanted" or "ideas" of what project to do. Fans get together, trade sources, make it happen. What are your interests?

For the actual video help, you need to go to places like this site and Doom9. Not really VH for this exact topic.

Because I was a toon/TV fan way back in the 80s/90s, I have some rare sources, and have been tapped to help projects at times. As time permits (none in 2020, sadly) I'm working on 2 projects myself. But those are under wraps, for now. Both are HD, stabilized, color corrected, rare movies. I doubt anybody has better sources than I do, for these.

Most "AI" is utter BS, marketing baloney. As I wrote on VH recently, regard that "AI" software from Topaz:
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
AI = artificial intelligence. There is no AI here. It's marketing.

Even nnedi3 claims to use "neural network architecture", but is really nothing more than predictive (aka opposite of reactive) algorithms.

"Neural networks" are a basis for AI, and the name "neural" comes from mimicking human (or any animal, really) brains. There is parallel processing, but there must also be an element of development. That would insist on the ability to save data for later analysis. And with Topaz, or nnedi3, or others, that isn't happening. There's no learning file being built.

So the "AI" here is dumber than an amoeba.

In reality, what happens here is that a pre-made "bank" of set data has to act as the basis of prediction, and it does not learn anything. And that's nothing new, having existed for decades. I think back to OCR scanning in the 90s, or speech-to-text in the 00s. Google Voice is probably a good example of actual (limited) AI, because the algorithm was allowed to grow, and has become far more accurate over time.

https://www.ibm.com/cloud/blog/ai-vs...eural-networks
https://www.bmc.com/blogs/neural-network-introduction/
https://www.verypossible.com/insight...eural-networks

When Topaz can make a T-1000, then maybe it'll be AI.

The link you posted is interesting, but it's mostly just a few press releases, and then nothing more from the company.

dima 12-07-2020 04:20 AM

Thank you for your answer.

I'm not looking (now) for any information related to a specific title(e.g. film(movie)). I'm looking for information about "this process" in general(mostly from the technological side) as I probably wrote about it in my first post in this thread.

Maybe you know and are able to name the American(USA) and/or English-language companies that perform the work of digital remastering(restoration, reconstruction) of audiovisual materials(e.g. among others: films(movies), series) - recorded on film reel(stock)(most often probably: 35 mm) ?

lingyi 12-07-2020 02:52 PM

Visit the Reddit channels here: https://www.google.com/search?q=redd...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Most of the How To info is going to be focused on a particular film as there's no one technique fits all solution. And how else are they going to show the before and after results if they don't focus on a single film.

Film restoration isn't a hold me by the hand and teach me subject. People spend years learning the techniques, often my trial and error and develop new techniques as needed. And unlike video capture and digital restoration, there are propriety, secret techniques and custom equipment.

Some universities offer a Masters Degree in Film Preservation and Restoration: https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/educatio...rchive-studies

traal 12-07-2020 08:02 PM

Here's a company based in England that does good work: http://www.narduzzotoo.com/

Their website has a list of titles they've digitally restored.

And a number of 1980s TV series are being restored from 16mm and 35mm to 1080p HD, and pre-digital movies to 4K UHD. But I don't know of a good, comprehensive list of those titles.

dima 12-08-2020 03:02 AM

Thank you for your answers.

To be clear: I have an idea of how it works and what the process is all about - from my own, national backyard(but maybe something is translated in a more advanced, interesting and detailed way - and maybe there is something published that is not always, usually or not so often "in our place").
However, I'm asking, because maybe some curiosities in the subject (first) I will find out - will come "from you"*... :) I know that in today's world it isn't so, that "the rest of the world" is delayed in "everything" for USA - even with this process it isn't so, as far as I know...

* I know that in this topic there are no curiosities, technological novelties as such - they are not generally published for clear reasons, but for example, maybe there will be some news that: a title from a 35 mm tape reel has been digitally reconstructed in the image resolution: 8K(excess for this tape reel ?) and that it was compared it with previous work for this title in: 4K(or possibly with downscalling from: 8K to 4K) and that maybe some comparative materials will be presented[A possible color difference between the different reconstructions may make it impossible to make a full, good comparison, but that's just "by the way"].

Maybe you are able to name some other names of the (biggest) companies in the world dealing with this ? For example, it might be companies that reconstructed: "Rambo", "Home Alone", "LOTR"(they probably were digitally reconstructed(or only digitized with elements of digital reconstruction - for materials kept "in good quality" on film reel))(maybe the most identifiable titles - and the companies working on them - are the most famous, valued and older materials(perhaps more difficult to work with)) etc...
I found something like this: https://www.nicholascoyle.com/.
Perhaps in the USA there are many companies professionally engaged in digital reconstruction of audiovisual materials recorded on film reel(most often, probably: 35 mm)[but perhaps some of them are the greatest, the most famous].

lordsmurf 12-08-2020 04:02 AM

I'm confused by what you're actually after.

As mentioned, there is no "general knowledge" here. It's very much based on the sources, and the errors. For example, the same person is extremely unlikely to be able to restore both film and tape, as there's almost zero overlap on methodology used.

I started video as a hobby, and my high quality of hobby work came to the attention of TPTB at some studios, and I was hired on for some years (until health forced me to quit). So I've seen this from both sides, fan/hobby and pro.

Hobbyists/fans meet (usually) in public groups/forums/sites, and are open about what they're doing. Some fans also work in video, some do not. Some fans know video, and do good work. While others are really awful at it, and butchered the video more than anything else -- and that can include BOTH video pros and hobbyists. Being a "pro" at video means you work in the field, not that you have any skill at it.

Pros don't really do anything different than hobbyists, aside from highly specialized methods, sometimes even using the same software and hardware. But work is work, and the "video brain" shuts off at 5pm. They don't come home, jump online, and discuss methods. While at work, they have no need to chronicle efforts online. In some cases, that would be insanity, as it would just be undercutting their own interests.

- On the hobby side, you'll get detailed info.
- On the pro side, you get press releases, usually just stating a new "restored" release -- sometimes with details (and even documentaries on how the restoration was done), but more often not.

The hobby side is after unavailable materials, or custom creations. Those are often "reconstructions", such as Superman films, or the "original" versions of theatrical Star Wars films. Studios are less interested in niche hobby, and more in mass appeal profitability. As such, you rarely see an official recon. BBC Doctor Who animations are an example of a pro recon, Superman II Donner Cut, few other films. I'm not aware of too many -- especially because directors have to get re-involved in the project (unlike fan projects).

"uncut", "uncensored", "unedited", etc -- those are NOT recons.

That link/list in the 1st posts is worthless. Most of those movies are recent, and you don't restore stuff from the HD era.

Restoration is usually a matter of simply re-scanning negatives (wetgate best, or drygate) to HD/2K/4K type resolutions. These remainder is standard practice of NR, sharpening, fps processing, frame stabilization. I really like the work that was done on all the Starz Encore Westerns shows (I forget the name of that studio offhand).

dima 12-09-2020 02:12 AM

So I guess it is generally with what you write about at the beginning of your post, just like with us(in our place) - I thought that maybe "here" is with this information and work differently.
====================================
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 73253)
- On the hobby side, you'll get detailed info.
- On the pro side, you get press releases, usually just stating a new "restored" release -- sometimes with details (and even documentaries on how the restoration was done), but more often not.

So these (standard) things remain... So maybe you can give me more websites(such and such) talking about "these things"(where is possible to find "such information" most often) ?

Quote:

The hobby side is after unavailable materials, or custom creations. Those are often "reconstructions", such as Superman films, or the "original" versions of theatrical Star Wars films. Studios are less interested in niche hobby, and more in mass appeal profitability. As such, you rarely see an official recon. BBC Doctor Who animations are an example of a pro recon, Superman II Donner Cut, few other films. I'm not aware of too many -- especially because directors have to get re-involved in the project (unlike fan projects).

"uncut", "uncensored", "unedited", etc -- those are NOT recons.

I don't think I fully understand everything you want to convey to me by this.

Quote:

That link/list in the 1st posts is worthless. Most of those movies are recent, and you don't restore stuff from the HD era.

Restoration is usually a matter of simply re-scanning negatives (wetgate best, or drygate) to HD/2K/4K type resolutions. These remainder is standard practice of NR, sharpening, fps processing, frame stabilization.

I know and I knew it.