digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Suggestion for a new forum base? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/11283-suggestion-forum-base.html)

Dude111 12-19-2020 08:18 PM

Suggestion for a new forum base?

Hey dues how are ya??

I see alot of talk about VHS on here which I think is awesome... I love analogue and I think it would be nice to have a message base specifically for VHS/BETA/VIDEODISC,etc...... I think it would get alot of use. Then we can keep it all on one base (The general threads about it anyway)

What do you guys think??

lordsmurf 12-19-2020 09:00 PM

Base?

All your baser are belong to us? :laugh:

Are you referring to a section specifically on VCRs?

If so, most conversations are in CAPTURE, sometimes RESTORATION, or VIDEO REPAIR when the gear is failing.

Dude111 12-20-2020 01:50 AM

I see so not much General talk about them then.......

Its still nice seeing all the talk!! (When I first registered here there wasnt as much,its nice to see it picking up)

latreche34 12-20-2020 02:43 AM

This forum is not about pre-recorded media or media recording on obsolete machines for that matters, it's quite the opposite, it's about how to bring those media to the digital world in the best possible way overcoming the technical challenges that come along the way from either the media themselves or the hardware that plays them back. Tapeheads is probably the right place but it is more about audio than video.

lordsmurf 12-20-2020 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 73449)
This forum is not about pre-recorded media or media recording on obsolete machines for that matters, it's quite the opposite, it's about how to bring those media to the digital world in the best possible way overcoming the technical challenges that come along the way from either the media themselves or the hardware that plays them back. Tapeheads is probably the right place but it is more about audio than video.

I don't mind talking analog or old tapes. It has some overlap. TVPast is/was about this, and I participate in the Reddit VHS and Beta subs, am on TapeHeads and TradersDen both.

Remember, I was a video collector/hobbyist before we had consumer digital. :wink2:

So I'll never dissuade such discussions.

But true, the main focus is to digitize these formats. Analog won't last forever. Each time a tape is played, it wears. Age wears. Humidity and temperature wears. It's a robust format, yet also fragile. Not ephemera, but also not built for time.

Dude111 10-13-2021 09:18 PM

Ya ya gotta be careful and keep your tapes protected for sure. People are 1/2 the reason tapes dont make it in good quality!

I have some pre-recorded VHS tapes from 1978 that thankfully are in good condition..... But not many make it from that far back in OK shape.. (Mainly due to people)

The oldest cassette I have is a 1969 release of the doors first album and it sounds excellent!!