Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-07-2021, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Greetings dFAQ,
New member here - quite by surprise - redirected consistently to your site during my search for ways to go about saving VHS home recordings. What I thought was going to be a simple Amazon solution over the past week or so has turned into a headfirst deep-dive down a rabbit hole crash course instead!

Thanks to your guides and forum archives, I now know ~why~ the POS USB 2.0 capture dongle I ordered was such a frustrating disappointment, despite my efforts to repair the renderings with my freshly downloaded freeware and fledgling understanding of video compression... I know I should've believed you about the S-VHS player and TBC and quality AD-video converter the first 100 times... but it's ok because I got to see for myself and learn about how much there is to learn, such as how many tries it takes to officially confirm that "sneaky" advanced input settings cannot in any way "trick" the card into delivering the data uncompressed. Another bonus - my cheap VCR got its very first tune-up after years of thrift store abuse, and the other one my mom thought was broken was really only suffering from a squeaky gear, so now I have a spare for test driving old tapes and can at least trouble-shoot under the hood enough to identify a capstan or idler gear or point at which I better refer to a professional.

Thank yall so much for creating this resource where folks like me can come to find the questions to our "answers" ... it's very much appreciated!

PS: Here's an article about the history and legacy, rise and fall, and uncertain future of CRT television sets I thought might be of interest to a few of you (which I won't tell you why I was reading into or anything, because it def had nothing to do with a crap capture card or the limitations of working with a Mac - or what resolution one would need in theory to take a handheld digital camera recording of the literal TV screen to capture VHS playing on a 60Hz CRT monitor, you know hypothetically speaking...): https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16...gaming-vintage
The following users thank generationxovhs for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-11-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Free Member

Hello and welcome ashore!!

Yes alot of VHS talk here and some CRT also.. 2 beautiful things

I hope you like it here...... Happy new year!!
The following users thank Dude111 for this useful post: generationxovhs (01-23-2021), lordsmurf (01-11-2021)

Tags
capture card, legacy machines, vhs