12-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

i need some assistance by the capture PC. I have a fresh Windows XP SP2 and i immediately made a restore point with Acronis while i struggle with the drivers.

The capture card's picture is in the attachments.

It is barely readable but it has "THEATER200" chip.

I read the guides and stopped at "Editing Guides" section. I downloaded every uploaded driver files (.iso, .exe). Without any driver installing the XP recognise the video card itself as seen on the "DeviceManager.jpg".

Is it normal that there are two node in the device manager under video cards and there are two monitor in display settings?

The card has a DVI output that i am using with a monitor and i am using the purple box for input and there are an another output i believe. Maybe this is the default display and the DVI out is the plug and play monitor?

The two other unknown device are actually known. The multimedia audio is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, after i install the driver it disappear and the other one is a motherboard driver. I downloaded the VIA 4 in 1 driver ver:5.11A driver from Asrock.com and there are no unknown device.

Unfortunately in VirtualDub everything is incorrect. Under the device tab the listed card is ATI Rage Theater but physically the card has Theater200. The preview picture is very small. The playback is visible (print screen cannot handle it) but it is cropped, misaligned and monochrome.

I tried all the uploaded drivers. In the BIOS i set the primary video card from PCI to AGP (motherboard doesn't have onboard VGA output). Actually it is an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0.

VirtualDub not working with this card? Should i use MMC instead?

I also couldn't install any MMC version. I am confused about the difference between Catalyst, MMC and Driver because i run the driver and Catalyst come up. I know in old days there were multiple install files and Catalyst merged them into one installer but if i try to install MMC will i get drivers also?

Most of the driver installation end with an error message. If one installation is finally finish a lot of unknown devices appear in the device manager. But the video cards name change ATI All In Wonder 9000 and Ati All In Wonder 9000- Secondary (removed "(Microsoft Corporation)" from the end).

Does the installation order matters? I mean first i should install the motherboard chipset driver and just after that video card driver? Maybe the XP driver is also working and i should search the problem somewhere else? I connected the VHS to the PC with S-Video - RCA L & R audio. With the same cable the playback on a CRT tv is colorful, has sound and has acceptable quality.

(I also connected the video and audio card with AUX cable inside the case).

What did i miss?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201206_120727.jpg (82.5 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg DeviceManager.jpg (70.1 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg VirtualDub.jpg (48.0 KB, 8 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2020, 05:03 AM
Free Member

I switched from S-Video to Composite video but the preview is the same. I made a picture with my phone. At the very beginning during boot the first data what i get is Radeon 9000 113-95902-100 BIOS. Does it ring a bell for somebody? The format is familiar. The iso drivers i downloaded earlier have similar format. Maybe this will be best driver for the card? By the way this may be a driver issue or something else?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201213_115204.jpg (43.8 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20201213_115710.jpg (31.4 KB, 9 downloads)
12-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Follow the driver installation instructions in this thread.
The following users thank JPMedia for this useful post: Cortez (12-14-2020)
12-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Free Member

i am really appreciate your answer. Unfortunately i have an original Windows XP SP2. Now i have to figure out how to downgrade to SP1. I made some testing and the sound is actually working (stereo) and comes from the Santa Cruz card, not from onboard. Maybe i should install an SP1 trial first, install the driver and later update it to SP2 and activate Windows. Will it work or there is an eaiser method, we will see ?

Anyway thanks for the help. Tomorrow i will work on it.
12-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

Send me a private message. I have something that will help.

Once you have a Windows XP installation disc without a service pack, follow the installation instructions in this thread.

Does your capture PC have a disk drive?

Last edited by JPMedia; 12-14-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Merged posts
12-14-2020, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Once you have a Windows XP installation disc without a service pack, follow the installation instructions in this thread.

Does your capture PC have a disk drive?
12-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Free Member

I bought an original Windows XP installer disc with product key on it. After i called Microsoft i could easily active Windows by following the steps. After the installation the Computer -> Properties said Windows XP Service Pack 2.

"...disk drive?"

A little bit confused. I have three drives:
  • Optical Drive connected to IDE 2
  • Seagate 500 GB IDE drive conntected to IDE 1
  • Seagate Barracude 2 TB SATA 3 connected to SATAI

as you guys suggested.
12-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Cortez,

I may be wrong, but I believe you're closer than you think. It may be as simple as a setting in Virtualdub. I'm speculating that you may need to change the "Video Standard" to PAL (from NTSC).

Read this thread. It's the gold standard for how to get started with Virtualdub.

Hopefully, that's all it is and the rest will just take (plenty of) learning and experimenting.

Background:

For use of Virtualdub, you do not need MMC. You don't "need" CCC (Catalyst Control Center) for anything but it can be convenient. You just need to install your 4 in 1's for the motherboard, then the display drivers for the ATI AIW card and then the WDM drivers for the card. Once you can see the Rage Theater (or some variant of that name for it) as a "Capture Device" in Virtualdub you should have a working AIW driver installation. Of course you also have to get your sound card and drivers installed and working so you can capture the audio.

Speculation:

Installing (or starting??) MMC causes the WDM driver to look at the tuner on the card which makes it switch to that video standard. The tuners are PAL or NTSC specific but the cards work with both for other video inputs. If you do NOT install MMC, you shouldn't have to mess with the "Video Standard" after the first setting in Virtualdub. If you install MMC, it might switch back to the tuner type whenever you start MMC or the "TV" module within it.

Hope this helps,

BW
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: Cortez (12-14-2020)
12-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Free Member

Thank you guys for the responses.

BW37,
yes i am sure you are right. I watched John Willis' videos and he had the same glitchy picture just before he set the standard from NTSC to PAL. This will be the first thing that i will try out tomorrow. These videos are actually very informative to me, unfortunately they are private videos. This kind of video tutorial series would be very useful.

Actually after a very fresh XP SP2 installation the video card is recognized by Windows used the Windows' driver. After i tried to install the suggested ATI driver everything got worse. Maybe thats why John's description contains: "It will not install properly after Service Pack 2 is installed" Is it strongly recommended to install the ATI driver because the Windows driver is not reliable ?

Do i need both MMC and VirtualDub? I am confused about the relation between AVI and MPEG format. I don't remember correctly but VirtualDub can capture only avi and MMC for MPEG? I don't want to edit the videos, just cutting to multiple parts so MPEG should be okay. I didn't plan to use fade in/out and fancy effects.

VirtualDub and MMC can be on the PC next to eachother without any side effects? At the same time only one capture software will be active and working. But installing CCC and MMC won't make VirtualDub useless? Only with one of them i can capture to AVI and MPEG as well? Does one of them have advantage against the other one or both have the needed feature distinctly like VideoSoap for MMC?

Quote:
Read this thread. It's the gold standard for how to get started with Virtualdub.
Yes these threads are really hard to find. This forum is a gold mine but you have to find what you need. It is almost impossible to organize this knowledge base.

Quote:
Of course you also have to get your sound card and drivers installed and working so you can capture the audio.
Yep i tested today the audio. The sound came out from Santa Cruz but only mono. I assumed maybe the purple box cause the trouble with the glitchy video and mono audio but the earbuds' cable was damaged and with an other one the audio was stereo . I started to searching for another AIW card (with purple box) on eBay because i assumed maybe the card or the purple box is broken and i can easily identify the broken part.

Thank you for all the informations i get today. Tomorrow i can continue the final preparation just before the capturing.
12-31-2020, 07:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Yes these threads are really hard to find. This forum is a gold mine but you have to find what you need. It is almost impossible to organize this knowledge base.
I may have a solution to this. Working on it. I want more curation myself.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Cortez (12-31-2020)
12-31-2020, 12:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I may have a solution to this. Working on it. I want more curation myself.
I am so glad you returned. I admit i was a little worry and afraid that something bad happened.

Actually the trouble is even bigger. After i tried to install the driver correctly as we discussed with John Willis after a restart the display stayed black. I tried most of the things. Resetted the BIOS, also replaced the CMOS battery, removed every cable connected to the motherboard (SATA, IDE, front panel), only the PSU's two cable was connected and also the CPU fan's and the AIW 9000 but no picture. Tried an another PSU and i found here a PCI-e video card to try without any luck. Maybe the memory can cause trouble that i will test. So i found an another 4CoreDual-SATA2 mobo with rev 1 inland so we will surely find the broken part. I also ordered an ATI AIW 7200 for only $21 ("tested") from eBay. I read that's your favorite. So at least i will have spare parts now.
01-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Some good news. None of the parts are broken, just configurated the BIOS wrong.

I tried install the video card driver correctly so i also tried some options in the BIOS. After that the PC didn't boot. I found a useful information here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...ssible.418917/

The Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 operates with 2 x 2 GB 800 MHz RAM if the DRAM Frequency set from Auto to DDRII667. I changed this before and from that point the PC didn't boot.