Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Can anyone identify this power socket please ? It is for a Focus Enhancements MC-2E media converter I got at auction a long time ago, but I have never been able to identify the socket to buy any power supply, so it has just been sitting on my shelf. Any help appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2230[1].jpg (86.0 KB, 52 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2021, 02:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I've seen this before on other AV gear. It's a type of DIN, but possibly non-standard.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cinemaman (02-12-2021)
02-11-2021, 04:43 AM
Free Member

Try searching for, "3 pin Din 12V Power supply".

This looks similar but I have no idea if it's compatible with your device.

https://www.pchub.com/pch-oem-power-...14-new-p175151

If you can't find anything suitable, I would consider installing another type of socket that will accept any other type of good quality stabilised 12V power supply that can handle the watts you need. You would just have to be sure the polarity is wired correctly.

Kind regards
Chris
The following users thank Chris_N for this useful post: cinemaman (02-12-2021)
03-31-2022, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Hello,

Some progress. I saw this Ebay listing for power supply to a particular TV (select Avtex 3 pin mains adaptor) and the seller confirmed it will connect to my video processor, but he noted the following:-

"....should be ok except the wiring to your three pin socket may not be the same as our power supply. Ours are wired for Avtex TV's where all three pins are connected to the +ve and the metal frame of the plug is -ve. If you have a test meter you could check to ensure all your three pins are connected together, otherwise the wiring of your unit may be different".

Could anyone at all please look at my original pic and make an "educated guess" if the wiring should work. I am assuming there is a "sameness" in such wiring. Many thanks.
03-31-2022, 02:48 PM
Free Member

Glad to hear you haver made some progress. It's impossible to say the wiring is correct just by looking on the outside. The supplier has stated that their power supply has + 12V for the 3 inner pins and the outside metal part is ground. they have suggested you use a multi meter to test the 3 inner pins are all connected. This is good advice before you try to connect the power supply. Probably the 12V power supply will work fine, but without checking, you risk blowing a fuse or damaging something. If you don't have a multi meter, you could borrow one. Or you could open the unit to see if the 3 pins are all connected. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
Chris
The following users thank Chris_N for this useful post: cinemaman (12-13-2022)
03-31-2022, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Thanks very much Chris. I don't really know what I'm doing with a test meter. I have seen a battery powered unit with two wired pointy heads, where users poke them into sockets. If I got one, do I just try combinations in the three pin holes ? (I will do some homework anyway).

Otherwise the plot thickens because I used Webarchive and found a user manual. It states:-
Power Supply: 12 V, 1 A, Center Pin Positive
I'm taking a wild guess that means the Ebay power supply will fit, but I will try to do more homework.
03-31-2022, 06:43 PM
Free Member

Looks a bit like:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kycon/KPPX-3P?qs=e56QwG018s6ousob1SShFg%3D%3D&mgh=1&gclid=EAI aIQobChMI3NrBssHx9gIVZevjBx1xgASpEAQYASABEgI5O_D_B wE

I would be vary careful about polarity. Some of the pins might be power ground.

FWIW: Focus Enhancements was bought out be VITEC Multimedia about 12 years ago.
04-01-2022, 08:18 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

We have prehistoric dot-matrix 'endorsement' printers for printing A6 job cards for tapes that use that connector. They're old enough to use parallel interfaces, but they do a mighty fine job for slipping notes and transfer details in to cases.

I purchased some last year and they were not terribly expensive, I'll have a look when I'm back in the office as I know they were easy to acquire (UK) and not very expensive, about £10/$15 each from memory.

Whether it's the right configuration I'll check, but it might be a place to jump off or cheaper than buying a specific one for the device.

Reminds me, we need new ribbons!

Ignore, they were for these and they're 24VDC.
The following users thank RobustReviews for this useful post: cinemaman (12-13-2022)