08-15-2021, 02:45 AM
Free Member

I'm putting commercials from the 90's and 2000's on YouTube mostly originated from VHS, Please let me know in the comments section what are your thoughts and what memories they bring, I'm uploading a new batch from Digital Betacam studio tapes, It may take few hours to upload, I load lossless HuffYUV directly to YouTube and let it do the processing to avoid double encoding of the videos.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: msgohan (08-16-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2021, 01:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes.

I especially enjoy
- tech commercials from 70s, 80s, 90s
- toy commercials from late 70s, 80s, 90s
- cereal commercials from 80s, 90s
- beer commercials from 90s

There's still things I'm looking for, like
- WHERE'S THE BEEF! (Wendy's 80s)
- Nut N Honey cereal
- HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY, WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY! (Glad bags, elder Happy Days actor)
- anything Robotech, Transformers, He-Man, Smurfs, Thundercats, Silverhawks

Too often, I cringe at the bad conversion work I see on Youtube. I expect good things from you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-15-2021, 01:42 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I have quite a catalogue of UK ones, mostly from the 1980s from V2000, London area which adds a bit of cachet.

I have one somewhere for the UK launch of Wendy's (1983ish?) where it failed miserably, I'll see if I can dig it out and upload it somewhere. I think they tried again fairly recently with more success.

For some odd reason, our version of Wendy's seemed mostly about baked potatoes from what I remember from the advert, I don't think that was standard fare in the US.
08-16-2021, 02:17 AM
Free Member

Thanks LS, I will be in the look out for Smurfs, Meanwhile anyone with such old materials feel free to send them over, I will get the most out of them for sure, 70's and 80's tapes are hard to come by.
08-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Been subbed to your channel since you linked a sample video on the forums, maybe last year. Was glad when I saw you posting more stuff. The master tape videos are always a neat watch, though I didn't recognize any of the ads in the 2001 Digibeta.

On this one some instances of jerkiness jumped out at me: https://youtu.be/bJDaao3dnIY

Especially from the Delta ad onward.
There are two hitches around 14:50 during the side-scrolling, and then at the end of the ad and until the end of the video, there are several instances of back-and-forth field flickering.
08-16-2021, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Yes I noticed them, quite annoying, I went back and played the original file (I don't keep the processed files, too large) and they are not there, but it was too late since I've already uploaded the video, Must have been a software glitch on my end during de-interlacing/upscaling or Youtube's end during processing, If I see them again I will have to investigate.

Me too I did not recognize any of the digibeta commercials but the boulder one is hell of funny.
08-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

I watched a few videos. The quality is amazing. Were they all captured from VHS?
08-17-2021, 12:21 PM

Some very hacky UK ones I did at home, yes this is what happens if you run an upscaler "backwards"

For intrigue, not a testament to quality - oh the first two probably sum up 1980s Britain quite nicely, we didn't have an alternative to British Telecom until 1984

The Wendy's one is broken (tape was scratched) https://youtu.be/SFhMMEts-4c I've added it on the end.
Probably confused us folk, on account that "Central London" does certainly not include Slough (although merit for the proper pronunciation), Slough isn't even in Greater London. nor are Croydon, Bracknell or Watford come to think of it.

Last edited by RobustReviews; 08-17-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Bit of extra info.
08-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Thanks LS, I will be in the look out for Smurfs, .
Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
For intrigue, not a testament to quality
- oh the first two probably sum up 1980s Britain quite nicely,
The Wendy's one is broken (tape was scratched)
Yep, lack of line TBC is obvious here, wiggly, chroma noise.

That Wendy's commercial is boring. I don't even remember them having baked potato in my area. Wendy's had lots of better 80s commercials.

But that Kit Kat is brilliant. That's for sure a vintage British commercial.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a channel, just a few individual commercials, but not contributed to it since before my health issues. It was one of the thing I had to immediately give up, and just never returned. I still want to.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-17-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Fingers crossed!

Yep, lack of line TBC is obvious here, wiggly, chroma noise.

That Wendy's commercial is boring. I don't even remember them having baked potato in my area. Wendy's had lots of better 80s commercials.

But that Kit Kat is brilliant. That's for sure a vintage British commercial.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a channel, just a few individual commercials, but not contributed to it since before my health issues. It was one of the thing I had to immediately give up, and just never returned. I still want to.
Well it came out the back of a VR2020 which were unstable at best, into a cheap upscaler, then from the upscaler in to the HDMI-in on the PC (note the screenbug at the start), it was more of an experiment than anything else - that said (and I flatter myself) I've seen worse... Started the capture in OBS and bingo-bango...

Still better than some of those USB dongles though?

I'm not recommending it as a technique, but that was a home capture more for experimentation than anything else.