Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Free Member

I have been going at this all wrong and I am ready to do it correctly. I am going to get a good deal on a very good VCR that is highly recomended with tbc. I started off with a cheaper non S-VHS VCR and a Elgato Video Capture device. I have read that the Elgato is not that desirable. So I plan to read on here on how to do this with the best possilbe outcome for this project. I am getting myself confused between some posts and a couple YouTube videos. One YouTube video described how to get the VHS to digital at 60 fps using a device called "Easy Capture" or "Dazzle" both are USB connected. I am getting dizzy with all the different things I have been reading. Just looking for good straight forward setup for best outcome. I have about 30 hours of VHS I want to Digitize. If I can be pointed to the best discussion on this forum so I don't just bother people on here that would probably be best I think.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-10-2021, 02:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeboy View Post
I have been going at this all wrong and I am ready to do it correctly.
Excellent.

Quote:
I am going to get a good deal on a very good VCR that is highly recomended with tbc.
Excellent.

Quote:
I started off with a cheaper non S-VHS VCR
Eh. There are good non-TBC JVC S-VHS VCRs that I'd start with instead. Not too costly (under $200) and not junk.

Quote:
and a Elgato Video Capture device. I have read that the Elgato is not that desirable.
Yes, bad device, don't waste time on that bad path. You're just punishing yourself.

Quote:
So I plan to read on here on how to do this with the best possilbe outcome for this project. I am getting myself confused between some posts
Excellent, and let's help you get on the right path.

Quote:
and a couple YouTube videos. One YouTube video described how to get the VHS to digital at 60 fps using a device called "Easy Capture" or "Dazzle" both are USB connected.
That video is bunk. Disregard. That Youtuber gives bad advice. Same for the goober that insists using a HDMI converter. You'll end up with video that looks pretty hideous. Easycap, for example, has may issues that ruin color, overexpose the video, etc. It's fugly.

Quote:
Just looking for good straight forward setup for best outcome. I have about 30 hours of VHS I want to Digitize. If I can be pointed to the best discussion on this forum so I don't just bother people on here that would probably be best I think.
The best capture cards are OS based. So for what OS? Noting that WinXP/7 best, Win10 more problematic (some workarounds for some cards, for now), Mac and Linux tend to be impossible.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Eh. There are good non-TBC JVC S-VHS VCRs that I'd start with instead. Not too costly (under $200) and not junk.
I am interested in what those may be. I am very sceptical of most eBay VCR's. I just had a bad experience and returned it. The current one I am thinking about has nearly no blemishes on the outside (of course that really doesn't matter except to say maybe it was treated well), and seller says he has done all the basic tests, I'm still leary. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars on a good VCR since I could probably re-sell it.

Quote:
The best capture cards are OS based. So for what OS? Noting that WinXP/7 best, Win10 more problematic (some workarounds for some cards, for now), Mac and Linux tend to be impossible.
I do have an older Sony Vaio desktop in storage that has XP. I forgot about it until you mentioned XP. It also has the capabilities to capture TV and VHS on it's own. I purchased in 2004 and started using it for this purpose, but life threw complications and I never really got anything acomplished. It did, if my memory serves me correctly, capture the VHS fairly well. It came with composite inputs (I'll have to check if it has svideo) and a tivo like program and remote to record TV. It was a pricy computer at the time. Are you familiar with those computers? I would have to dust it off and wipe it clean. My current computer is a new Lenovo with Win 10. Of course I will purchase a good capture card if that is whats best.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by coffeeboy; 09-10-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: posted twice
09-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Free Member

Posted twice accidently, Tried to delete, did not see that option

Quote:
I am interested in what those may be. I am very sceptical of most eBay VCR's. I just had a bad experience and returned it. The current one I am thinking about has nearly no blemishes on the outside (of course that really doesn't matter except to say maybe it was treated well), and seller says he has done all the basic tests, I'm still leary. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars on a good VCR since I could probably re-sell it.

Quote:
I do have an older Sony Vaio desktop in storage that has XP. I forgot about it until you mentioned XP. It also has the capabilities to capture TV and VHS on it's own. I purchased in 2004 and started using it for this purpose, but life threw complications and I never really got anything acomplished. It did, if my memory serves me correctly, capture the VHS fairly well. It came with composite inputs (I'll have to check if it has svideo) and a tivo like program and remote to record TV. It was a pricy computer at the time. Are you familiar with those computers? I would have to dust it off and wipe it clean. My current computer is a new Lenovo with Win 10. Of course I will purchase a good capture card if that is whats best.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by coffeeboy; 09-10-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Posted twice
09-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Free Member

I am debating whether to continue to try and do this myself or use your services. I sent an email about the services but never heard back. I will probably be wanting to purchase some things from you if I decide to do it myself. I do have a question on a piece of equipment I used only once to burn a dvd. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES18 that I purchased years ago and have maybe one hour of use on it. I have seen that some DVD recorders can be used as a passthrough for the tbc. Is anyone aware if this ES18 would be useful for that or for anything else for that matter. Several years ago when I didn't have a clue what I was doing (just like now) I purchased it and a 3 dvd copier. I don't want to burn my videos on DVD I want to put on a thumb drive or something more future proof if there is such a thing.
09-12-2021, 04:05 AM
Free Member

Had a bit of a look through digitalfaq and videohelp and doesn't look like there's a definitive answer to that question (about the ES18). kpmedia reckons it'll probably work in this thread, probably the closest thing to an answer I found.

You've already got an ES18, so it's worth testing it out yourself. You've got nothing to lose!
09-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Free Member

Someone found the HDD+HDMI variant of it (EH58) seems to do something at least. But yeah, as noted, since you have it, no reason not just just give it a test, it tends to be quite noticeable.