Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm tired of seeing overpriced garbage on eBay.

Yes, prices for quality items has risen. But that doesn't mean pricing for junk has risen as well.

Bad items come from either
  1. an incompetent seller, unaware the items are bad. And I do not care if the person insists it's "fine", or that he/she used it themselves. It is a bad item, period. Unfortunately, a lot of video novices don't actually check/view their own work, and don't see issues until it's too late -- sometimes years later. Don't be that person.
  2. a lying seller, hoping for a newbie sucker to vastly overpay for their junk. For example, that video gear scammer butthole down in Houston, as more than once he's called items "TBCs" that were not TBCs.
You must realize that most eBay sellers are just recyclers, folks that buy storage units or estate sale bulk lots. They wouldn't know a TBC from a toaster, without a Google image search. A lot of these shysters outright copy/paste my writings on TBCs, for using in their eBay descriptions. They simply think they found an electronic item worth $$$$.

Also don't fall for the "tested" and "working" malarkey. To most, tested/working means they plugged it in, and saw lights. Not that the item was actually functioning properly, or that it wasn't a known-bad unit. If a VCR, a "test" is often putting in a ratty old copy of Home Alone (or whatever), and seeing any sort of picture (good or bad). Tada! Working! But that's NOT a test, and NOT confirmed working. All nonsense.

Do not buy these items:

- 11/16/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/133933193042 - flawed black 1T-TBC
- 11/16/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/313756119564 - bad Voodoo model, seller is flipping units from another listing
- 11/15/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/115051258278 - bad TBC-1000 can be irreparable
- 11/12/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/313747850874 - bad Voodoo model, seller is flipping units from another listing
- 10/10/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/324825581996 - flawed black 1T-TBC, and don't fall for the "owned by a transfer business" nonsense. If true, the business was pumping out bad conversions.
- 10/05/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/363567210895 - flawed black AVT-8710 clone, essentially $700 parts unit
- 09/25/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/133886648303 - flawed black 1T-TBC, ridiculous $1800 bid, $2400 BIN
- 09/25/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/233734724935 - flawed black AVT-8710, ridiculous $700 BIN, "for parts"
- 09/25/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/274960698869 - non-refurb AG-1980 will have caps issues in 2020s, high $600 BIN
- 09/25/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/353684234512 - non-refurb AG-1980 will have caps issues in 2020s, not tested, insane $1100 BIN
- 09/25/21 https://www.ebay.com/itm/334075641103 - non-refurb AG-1980 will have caps issues in 2020s, not tested, insane $800 BIN

I will add more on a regular basis, as I come across them.

Important:

- Do not PM me about this thread.
- Do not ask if ___ is good/bad, I will not answer, that's not the point of the thread.
- Do not assume that anything not listed is good.

And if you're the seller, and have newly registered here just to argue, I'm probably just going to ban you. I don't have the time or patience for it. If you can prove it's good (example: flawed chipset Cypress units pass the "JVC menu test"), then we can talk.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Darby_Crash (01-29-2022), lollo2 (09-26-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-26-2021, 03:28 PM
Free Member

The first 1980 listed has a photo showing a fishing lure on the top. Are they angling for suckers?
09-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
The first 1980 listed has a photo showing a fishing lure on the top. Are they angling for suckers?
Good eye! I didn't even notice that.

It was probably stored in the basement next to his tacklebox.
"tested", "works great" -- "just ask the fishes that I cleaned on the table next to it".

I like the photo of the "warranty sticker" (illegal nonsense in USA, see FTC guidelines, and 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). What will surely happen is this: player won't work, probably "eat" tape. Must be opened to remove tape. Uh-oh! Now seller will claim "the buyer opened it", and eBay will possibly side with the seller. Congratulations. You just bought a boat anchor for $$$$ and you get to pay $$$ to TGrant (for not-great work, only currently-bad caps, not guaranteed-future bad caps) or Deter (fully recapped) to refurb it. AG-1980 is a money pit deck if not fully refurb'd, and this type of auction is trap that will cost you mightily.

09-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

you probably need to add this one on the list too https://www.ebay.com/itm/284413074855
For parts / not working for 1k sellers don't really understand we pay for these devices cause we need them when they work, for practical reasons, they are not collectible/antique items, we don't buy them for the ugly look of the device.
09-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
you probably need to add this one on the list too https://www.ebay.com/itm/284413074855
For parts / not working for 1k sellers don't really understand we pay for these devices cause we need them when they work, for practical reasons, they are not collectible/antique items, we don't buy them for the ugly look of the device.
I guess when your first Google hits tell you what a wonderful and sought after device it is (?) then people get carried away.

Daft you can get a proper TBC for $500 in my 'recommended' that shows in the listings (USA listing) that's tested and working, or these prosumer units people pay a fortune for. You can get a proper genlocked VHS unit and a genlocked TBC for less money than this untested thing.

The prices will only go up, once these sell it'll force the prices up again. There's bargains out there though I'm certain.
09-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
I guess when your first Google hits tell you what a wonderful and sought after device it is (?) then people get carried away..
It's not Google, it's the eBay sold listing.

"Gee, that refurb'd unit sold for $2000! Hey ma/pa, I gots one of those in the closet. We got it for free back when the sewer backflowed into the local college, and they were just throwing all this good stuff away!" -- Then the bucktooth goober lists it for $2000 as well. Moron.

... and you may think I'm really using hyperbole here, but stuff like that happens. Seriously.

Quote:
You can get a proper genlocked VHS unit and a genlocked TBC for less money than this untested thing.
Genlock isn't TBC. Not at all the same. Useless feature for transferring videotapes. In fact, using genlock often causes issues on a conversion.

Quote:
The prices will only go up, once these sell it'll force the prices up again. There's bargains out there though I'm certain
Yep, both are true.
- Price will continue to go up.
- There are bargains out there -- HOWEVER -- those are almost always offline. And in unknown condition, even worse than eBay conditions. You often have to have repair skills. I've gotten some good offline "bargains", but after all the work that it took to refurb it ... not really a bargain? I've gotten burned by bad buys, but I have thankfully (eventually) used everything for parts. So it's all worked out in the end.

09-30-2021, 04:43 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's not Google, it's the eBay sold listing.

"Gee, that refurb'd unit sold for $2000! Hey ma/pa, I gots one of those in the closet. We got it for free back when the sewer backflowed into the local college, and they were just throwing all this good stuff away!" -- Then the bucktooth goober lists it for $2000 as well. Moron.

... and you may think I'm really using hyperbole here, but stuff like that happens. Seriously.
Indeed, you're right. I think web searches may be a part of it though, I don't think that's controversial?

Quote:
Genlock isn't TBC. Not at all the same. Useless feature for transferring videotapes. In fact, using genlock often causes issues on a conversion.
Several of our setups require a genlock, it's a rolling horrid mess if the chain isn't locked up, but we don't use freewheeling TBCs generally. You're correct in your context, I'm right in mine if that makes sense? It's not useless for us, that's for sure.

We use For.A broadcast units generally, some of them can run freely, some say they can and don't seem to like it, some models just won't play until they have a sync with the capture device and playback device.

Quote:
Yep, both are true.
- Price will continue to go up.
- There are bargains out there -- HOWEVER -- those are almost always offline. And in unknown condition, even worse than eBay conditions. You often have to have repair skills. I've gotten some good offline "bargains", but after all the work that it took to refurb it ... not really a bargain? I've gotten burned by bad buys, but I have thankfully (eventually) used everything for parts. So it's all worked out in the end.
I seem to 'have a nose' for these things, but I got burned on something a few weeks ago which looked like a simple repair but turned into a real basket-case, so you're of course right. Pays ya' money as the saying goes.
09-30-2021, 09:26 AM
Free Member

About the only hope for a true $20 bargain is an unrecognized (by the seller) machine at a yard sale where the seller has inherited a lightly used machine from a parent and is unloading it not knowing what it is. I've seen one or two JVC HR-Sxxx machine like that but they are few and far between. And you may have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince(ss) in the process. Of course check for PBJ sandwiches in the tape slot and so on before you make an offer and keep in mind you may end up with a parts machine, but if the price is right ...
09-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Yeah the known models are sought after enough on ebay so anything verified functional is going to command some price. Usually bargains will be one of or some combination of offline sale / part of some large lot (for instance on govdeals if in the US) / something you repair yourself and/or some very obscure/rebadged VCR/unit. Often these things will be a gamble and/or if it's some surplus/clearance sale involve being able ship/pickup and sort through a large amount of stuff.
10-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

I have been a member for some time to these forums. It is interesting to see the prices on ebay for some of these electronic items. I actually posted on here way back in 2013 looking to sell my entire workflow. You can see my original post here:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...equipment.html

I still have everything pictured. All in the same condition. I got this to do my wedding video and that was it. I bought everything new from B&H and Sign Video. I have all original receipts.

I also have but not shown in the pictures, a JVC HR-S9911U Super VHS Player I purchased new from B&H. This also was just used to transfer my wedding video and like the rest it has sat on a shelf since.

I just need to find the time to hook it all up and make a short video of everything working so I can put it up for sale.
10-04-2021, 07:19 PM
Free Member

I just joined this forum but have been lurking around for a while, there is still bargains out in the wild here in the UK, i just picked up this JVC HR-S8700EK PAL machine for £2, yes £2 I got my second 8700EK a while back for £34

Both are in great shape, one of them needed the 27UF 35V cap in the PSU replaced which appears to be a common fault, other than that they are both working flawlessly

No dynamic drum to go wrong in this model either

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211005_002815.jpg (45.9 KB, 13 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20211005_003247.jpg (52.3 KB, 8 downloads)
10-04-2021, 08:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I just joined this forum but have been lurking around for a while, there is still bargains out in the wild here in the UK, i just picked up this JVC HR-S8700EK PAL machine for £2, yes £2 I got my second 8700EK a while back for £34
Lucky bugger. SVHSs don't even exist in Oz, let alone for 34 pounds!
10-05-2021, 12:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

I'll always updated the first post, adding dates when first seen, newest items at top of list.
And I'll archive the list periodically.

10-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Lucky bugger. SVHSs don't even exist in Oz, let alone for 34 pounds!
Even normal SVHS machines?, SVHS machines are fairly plentiful over here but the TBC models are fairly uncommon.
10-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Free Member

I can confirm as a fellow Australian. Here's a search for S-VHS on ebay Australia:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...0&LH_PrefLoc=1

There's only one S-VHS VCR (some kind of JVC professional VTR.)
10-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by servese43 View Post
I can confirm as a fellow Australian. Here's a search for S-VHS on ebay Australia:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...0&LH_PrefLoc=1

There's only one S-VHS VCR (some kind of JVC professional VTR.)
Interesting, didn't realise S-VHS players were so rare over in Australia.

Another thing that suprised me was that i never knew SCART was mainly a european thing, having grown up with literally everything having SCART here in the UK it confused me when i could only see S-VIDEO and composite connections on NTSC VCR's
10-05-2021, 10:32 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Interesting, didn't realise S-VHS players were so rare over in Australia.
You could set up a side-hussle for your DigitalFAQ mates in Oz, onselling to us good cheap UK S-VHS VCRs!
10-05-2021, 11:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
You could set up a side-hussle for your DigitalFAQ mates in Oz, onselling to us good cheap UK S-VHS VCRs!
Haha, i always have my fingers crossed VCR'S dont get damaged from domestic shipping let alone shipping it to Australia
10-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Pricing on ebay (SOLD listings, not active auctions) has been off the wall lately on just about everything. Older computer parts are skyrocketing in cost along with video equipment. Some of the stuff is in very poor and obviously broken shape too.

My last good VCR catch was that now broken HR-S7500U. I got that one on a trade with a vintage "roundie" color TV.
10-09-2021, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

What is the common consensus on this refurbished, modified, TBC-1000?

https://ebay.to/3uWJCEr

Besides being (to me) overpriced.