digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Site JS bug in Chrome? [BUG REPORT] (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/12206-site-js-bug.html)

mbassiouny 09-29-2021 12:59 PM

Site JS bug in Chrome? [BUG REPORT]

Hi there,

This is directed mainly to side admins, but others are free to comment if they are facing the same issue.

The website does not work properly with the latest chrome version for Windows (seems fine on linux). Also works fine on Firefox.

Bug:
The page loads, displays content, 1 second later it turns to STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION death screen. or sometimes status_not_implemented death screen

Since the issue happens after loading, clicking on X (next to url) before the page finishes loading avoids the issue. Also disabling Javascript entirely for Digitalfaq solves the issue.

JS probably is the culprit, I don't have more time to debug this, disable extensions one by one, etc, but I thought it is worth giving you a small warning about it and see if other users are having the same issue.

RobustReviews 09-29-2021 05:55 PM

This site has various issues - I've politely raised some and they've been met with curt replies.

It'll start paying a Google penalty in late 2021 if the current round of speculation is to be believed, it's a bit silly for a site that's 50% dedicated to web hosting.

servese43 09-29-2021 07:17 PM

Also, in Firefox (on Linux at least) the reload/stop loading button rapidly flashes. The only way to stop this is by clicking the stop loading button, which presumably stops loading the JS script that's causing the issue.

lordsmurf 09-29-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbassiouny (Post 80111)
The website does not work properly with the latest chrome version for Windows (seems fine on linux).

Exact version? We'll need that to recreate. "Latest" can actually vary.

Quote:

Bug:
The page loads, displays content, 1 second later it turns to STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION death screen. or sometimes status_not_implemented death screen
That can also be client-side.

Quote:

JS probably is the culprit, I don't have more time to debug this, disable extensions one by one, etc, but I thought it is worth giving you a small warning about it and see if other users are having the same issue.
Probably. JS sucks, still a necessary evil.
If you have time, please do help us troubleshoot. Spread thin right now.
Hopefully others don't have issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by servese43 (Post 80134)
Also, in Firefox (on Linux at least) the reload/stop loading button rapidly flashes. The only way to stop this is by clicking the stop loading button, which presumably stops loading the JS script that's causing the issue.

Which version? I use Firefox in Linux daily. With Firefox, it's often an addon at fault.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobustReviews (Post 80131)
This site has various issues - I've politely raised some and they've been met with curt replies.
It'll start paying a Google penalty in late 2021 if the current round of speculation is to be believed, it's a bit silly for a site that's 50% dedicated to web hosting.

You insisted we just slap an SSL on the site, to get the "almighty" HTTPS green lock, and call it a day. What you don't comprehend is it isn't that easy. It'll break the site. Why else do you think Google hasn't ever enforced it? They've been saber rattling since 2014. The protocol is ideal, yes, but it sometimes takes work to get there. We're not there yet.

FYI, that green lock only gives warm and fuzzies, it isn't actually security of any kind. In general, your computer/phone would have to already be exploited. So crap security is on you, not us. The only way anybody could really exploit non-https, without an exploited device, is via MITM unknown WiFi logging -- ie, don't use random WiFi or free VPNs. For any site, https or not. But it's not like this is your bank account, it's a user forum for Q&A. Site Staff access is firewalled behind VPN, and that's really all that matters. Follow good online rules: don't use the same password, use uniques per site.

Web hosting has nothing to do with SSL. You're conflating.

We'll eventually get this implemented, but it will be done when the site gets a full upgrade (that's currently in development). It was slated for 2020, but pandemic and all, so ETA on hold for now. We determine our time table, not Google.

While we really do appreciate the question/nudge, you've got the answer. This passive aggressive BS needs to stop now.

servese43 09-29-2021 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a screenshot of the network console, showing the troublesome JS request:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...1&d=1632962663
The only addon I've got is Ublock Origin, which might be doing something to cause this issue.

Edit: RobustReviews and mbassiouny should try blocking apis.google.com with their hosts file and see if that fixes the issue.

lordsmurf 09-29-2021 09:39 PM

<sigh> Google.
We'll look at it this weekend.

I still want to know which Firefox Linux version.

Hushpower 09-29-2021 09:52 PM

My Chrome is choking occasionally as well. It comes up with an "Awww, snap" message.

When I reload the page with the circle refresh thingee to the left of the address bar, the page/site loads OK.

servese43 09-29-2021 10:01 PM

I'm using Firefox 92.0.1 64-bit.

Hushpower 09-30-2021 02:13 AM

Edge is also playing up for me now. A page will display OK for a few seconds, then error out. I have to reload the page a few times before it will stay open.

RobustReviews 09-30-2021 04:59 AM

I can't replicate it, but we drop ad/tracking stuff down a 'black hole' in hardware quite high up in the network so I get lots of 404s when inspecting as expected but nothing breaking. That's using Brave 1.29.81 and tested with Edge 94.0 without issue.

RobustReviews 09-30-2021 02:55 PM

2050 BST - The site is no longer browsable on Brave (Chromium), Insecure/Back to Safety warning followed by the error reported above.

None of the usual tricks resolved it, still working on a recentish Edge build.

admin 09-30-2021 03:29 PM

Try it now.
The Classic Theme, not mobile. (One at a time.)

servese43 09-30-2021 09:09 PM

It's fixed! Thank you very much for sorting it out so quickly!