Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-23-2022, 03:05 PM
Free Member

I downloaded Smurfy's Virtualdub with the pre-loaded filters about 2 years ago. Now I noticed this would happen from time to time (so I'd just abort the job and start over); but now it's happening ALL THE TIME: I load my Avisynth script into V-dub, add my own V-dub filters for color-correction, and it just never completes the damn job! It stops mid-way and gets stuck.

And also, I notice that if I'm present in the room where the processing is taking place, it MAY complete the job but if I leave the house (or room) and come back, it does not complete the job. What, now I have to sit there and babysit it?

My source is a simple, 20-minute NTSC 720X480 animated program. The Avisynth script is not even that complicated or overlodaded (the toughest command line in it is RemoveDirt_Mce(). What gives with this crappy work ethic I'm getting from Virtualdub?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-23-2022, 09:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
It may be too much at once.

Run the Avisynth script, save lossless AVI using VirtualDub.
Open in VirtualDub, run filters.

Too many people try to cram everything into a single script, but it's just not well liked by even modern systems. Too much. Break it up into logical chunks. You only need to chain filters that rely on one another for the final step result.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-23-2022, 10:24 PM
Free Member

Thanks, Smurfy - I'll certainly do that.

I think I used to, and then forgot that it worked better this way.

Maybe I just missed ya. How the heck are you?

Remember the good old days when I'd fight with half of the folks at Videohelp?
07-23-2022, 11:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
Maybe I just missed ya. How the heck are you?
Stable -- and when you have chronic issues, stable is good. Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Remember the good old days when I'd fight with half of the folks at Videohelp?
VH has so many fights that it's easy to forget many after some time.
Mostly a problem with too many cheapskates, Google "instant experts", contrarians, etc, that want to mind vomit nonsense. Sometimes that can spill over here, but I simply will not allow it.

07-23-2022, 11:44 PM
Free Member

Glad you're doing well.

As far as who I am, take a look at the attached image.

And then I say: "Muah-hahahaha!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg betelman.jpg (26.8 KB, 13 downloads)
07-24-2022, 12:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
Glad you're doing well.
As far as who I am, take a look at the attached image.
And then I say: "Muah-hahahaha!"
I remember this exchange. Avisynth can be a PITA. Probably one of the best and most powerful video applications ever, but it's not all roses.

And FYI, that's precisely why you just run Avisynth scripts first, save lossless.
Then open that lossless in the next task (VirtualDub, whatever).
Avisynth simply does not play nice. (Some would argue this, of course. "I do it all the time, blah blah blah." But I would suggest those are not power users, They just haven't run into the issue yet.)

Got any unreleased interesting toon projects?

07-24-2022, 06:30 AM
Free Member

Hello guys,
can i join this conversation?

I have the same equipments as before (JVC S9600, TBC-1000 thanks to LS and ATI AIW 9000). I read in a recent post that audio L & R goes directly from the VCR to the ATI Purple box and only the S-Video signal have to go through the frame TBC right?

I still have this black bars at the bottom and the top after i manually (screwed up) aligned the roller but with the default settings this picture error is more visible at the bottom quarter. I can attach picture if my description is way too dummy.

I only "installed" VirtualDub 1.9.11 with filters because when i only installed ATI MMC 8.1 from install disc i could not playback any video on my dedicated machine (black display with sound). Followed sanlyn's guide http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html. I hope it is still valid. I installed and used the multithreading Huffyuv codec with Core 2 Duo CPU. The result file was huge i think because the lossless encoding, so what is the further progress? I should start with Avisynth maybe? Are there any video about the full process somewhere? hardware connections, software settings and the capturing process. I thought i will make sanlyn's guide more readable because the pictures are no visible (attached to the post) and only placeholders are there.
07-25-2022, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
And FYI, that's precisely why you just run Avisynth scripts first, save lossless.
Then open that lossless in the next task (VirtualDub, whatever).
Ah, of course. Saving lossless in Virtualdub meaning, rendering the Avisynth script through Virtualdub, but clicking on the "direct stream copy" option first before clicking file and save. This means that your video will save truly lossless - In other words, not only is the mere fact that I'm saving it as an AVI already lossless, but with "direct stream copy", there's also no colorspace conversion to RGB. I hope I'm accurate with all this? After 12 years, I still consider myself a novice.

Quote:
Got any unreleased interesting toon projects?
You're not going to believe this, but after 12 years I'm still working on this one Real Ghostbusters episode. i know, that seems like an eternity for one measly 20 minute episode. But it took years for me to come to terms with the fact that, when trying to make old video look better, there's always going to be a compromise between what you want and what is, well...realistic. However, I'm gradually getting there.

You know what's funny? In many ways, I don't even care about it anymore. I've put it down, picked it up, forgotten about it, etc. But it's like a project I now feel like I HAVE to finish. Plus this to me is a very relaxing hobby.