Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Hello Folks,Tried to donate thru your Paypal link,Then my Firefox browser warned me "info on this page is both secure and unsecure,could easily be read by a 3rd party..ect..So I'm going to try setting up an acct. with Paypal first,and hope that works around it? Just FYI,Hope other potential donors to this site don't get cold feet from this,Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Hmmm....

Was it through one of the links on this page: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/donate.htm ??
If so, which link specifically was it?

The $10 link, for example, goes to https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...28d42bdf5d9d2c -- a Paypal.com secure URL.
Looking at the Paypal page source code, it all appears to be HTTPS content being pulled.

Very strange.. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I may have to test it with various browsers.

Thanks.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Just tried again 3 times:1st time about 10:40 pm, got same warning as before,2nd 2 times no warning anymore.I got there last time and tonite this way:Forum start page,Then "how to support dfaq",Then "become premium member",click to upgrade button,Then Available subscriptions page,Drop down box 20.00/"click order button,Then Select payment method page,click "order using paypal"button,Then Firefox "3rd party" warning on paypal page.But as I mentioned,no warning last 2 tries at about 10:55 pm,Wheeew... Maybe now I can donate! Dont do much typing,but still learning at age 52!! Tired and dizzy now,This Unit needs rest!
06-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

That looks to be an error on the part of Firefox. Firefox has had security related issues since version 3.0, issuing false alerts and sometimes outright denying access to sites that use self-signed certs. In both cases, there's no danger to the user, but it does create obvious confusion. Great browser, I use it daily, and have for probably 7 years now, but it's not without its quirks and shortcomings. The self-signed SSL is the entire reason I now use Chrome daily, in addition to Firefox.

On this site, all Paypal transactions are directed to the Paypal.com https.
  • The donation page is simply linking to Paypal.
  • And the forum "checkout" is using a standard payment gateway API (the payment is sent to Paypal, and then Paypal confirms payment before the forum software creates the upgraded account).
As we've written before in other threads on the site, it would be easier to knock over a liquor store or gas station, compared to trying to steal money through a website. We're in no way trying to phish, steal information, send spam, etc. To be quite honest, something like that is really outside our technical expertise level. This site is here to help people like you, on the topics of digital media (video, photo, web/print publishing).

The error could be safely ignored.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: rocko (06-23-2011)