Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Latest editorial: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8: Why Videographers Shouldn’t Upgrade

Have Comments or Feedback?

As always, feel free to share your opinions, comments, etc, here in the forum, in this very thread.
If you're not already a member of The Digital FAQ forum, simply join as a Free Member. Or better yet, become a Premium Member.
If you liked it, then please share it on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, by clicking the links on the editorial page.
Useful tips or updates from the community may be added to current/past editorials, at the author's discretion.

Thanks for reading.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Free Member

I expected a lot of in-depth, detailed technical material on why Win 8 is not suitable for video work. Sadly, it was limited to one or two paragraphs and the rest dedicated to discussing user interface of Win 8.

Regards
03-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Free Member

The other day I walked past Microsoft Surface kiosk in the mall demonstrating all the Win8 loveliness on their tablet.

I was gonna ask one of them to explain to me what the hell this interface is all about on PCs but they were all busy talking to other people.
03-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Free Member

my father just went out and bought windows 8
I HATE IT!!!
he cant get his email at all - he uses outlook express/ POP from his provider.
it is a joke trying to find stuff, no start menu
it is obliviously designed for a touch screen, which he does not have
your write up might be enough for me to convince him to go back to 7
03-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
I expected a lot of in-depth, detailed technical material on why Win 8 is not suitable for video work. Sadly, it was limited to one or two paragraphs and the rest dedicated to discussing user interface of Win 8.
Honestly, I think the reviewer got fed up after a while.

- No multi-tasking -- important between something like VirtualDub and Avisynth
- No integrated VMs
- Not even something as basic as MPEG playback for free
- No hardware support
- Even less video software would work

I know he couldn't get VLC to work properly. It kept playing with color casts. That one was left out of the editorial in case it was a PEBKAC error, but I don't think so. It would stutter, too.

It was pretty -- that was it. It wasn't a business machine. For video, that's what you need.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Free Member

I couldn't believe my eyes when it wouldn't let me play back a DVD without buying another component.
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Metro is an interface that "demos well". It looks slick when presenting it on stage and not much else. MacOS X's dock has the same problem. The difference is I can ignore the OS X Dock, but not Metro!

A few notes from my own use of that OS in a VM:
-Setup is very streamlined and simple... almost too simple. I would have preferred for feedback on what was going on during the final install stages besides "We are finishing a few things up" and cycling colors. Even a progress bar would be nice! You have to be careful on the user account setup. MS doesn't make it obvious that you can still use local user accounts and not their online accounts.

-Multitasking hasn't changed as long as you stick to desktop applications. Switching between Metro apps and desktop apps is disorienting. The way its handled its like running two separate sets of applications. One side doesn't know what the other is doing. Whats ironic is that they improved multi monitor support with task bars on secondary displays!

-Speed is improved. I was actually impressed with the speed of Windows 8 Pro x64 in a VM with only 2GB of RAM assigned to it.

-The new task manager is nice, although I was able to get the old style one to pop up somehow.

-Metro apps are a usability disaster. There is no way of exiting apps that I could find short of pressing Alt+F4. Horizontal scrolling with a standard mouse requires using the scroll bar (at least in a VM). The "charms" bar on the right has no concept of VMs, so you have to run the VM full screen or hit it just right for it to pop up.

-MS finally gets a modern a nice looking UI with Aero Glass.... and they go and remove it. I could care less that they color match the Window borders to the wallpaper.

-I rarely use the included apps with Windows outside of the basic accessories. For those that do, they are either completely removed or turned Metro. They removed Solitaire, Free Cell, and Minesweeper.... how dare they! The included Metro apps are for the most part useless without an internet connection. Even with one, some of them require a Microsoft Account for no good reason. I didn't bother with the Windows Store since it requires a MS account even for free apps.

Some notes on compatibility:
-Microsoft removed Windows 2000/XP compatibility mode options for applications. You can only go back to Vista, which leads to...

-You can't disable the Desktop Window Manager (Direct3D composition of windows/GDI) anymore. This can break some applications in unexpected ways. DVD Workshop in particular needs this turned off in order for video previews to work.

-Drivers from Windows 7 should work for the most part. Despite the name, its still Windows NT 6.2 under the hood, not too many low level changes. The switch to 64-bit broke more stuff.

Overall there are some worthwhile improvements to the OS core, but Metro and unnecessary removal of features outweigh them.