Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-30-2020, 04:02 PM
Free Member

My apologies I missed that in the thread so I was a bit confused. Yeah, eBay does have some sly tricks but browser control isn't one of them.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-30-2020, 04:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Don't be ridiculous, They cannot change the appearance of your browser unless they are remotely logged into your computer. It's an ebay feature, when you are watching an item the seller has the ability to send you an offer, it's up to you to accept it or refuse it, No one can force you to purchase anything unless you hit that button called "Buy it now" or "Accept offer".
Quote:
I wasn't responding to you, Obviously I was responding to the guy who said they changed his browser and somehow magically they made a bid on his behalf.
You need to re-read that post. That's not what happened. The scammer sent forged photos in messages. There was nothing to accept or decline.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-01-2020, 02:35 AM
Free Member

I still don't understand, What's the motive behind a buyer sending a forged pictures? Any seller including myself before I accept an offer I have to review the amount first, I can't just go off of a picture. Even if a buyer is low balling me it doesn't mean he is a scammer. So where is the problem here?
07-16-2020, 02:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I still don't understand, What's the motive behind a buyer sending a forged pictures? Any seller including myself before I accept an offer I have to review the amount first, I can't just go off of a picture. Even if a buyer is low balling me it doesn't mean he is a scammer. So where is the problem here?
It's a common scam actually - a lot of them use this trick. The simple one described above:

1. Seller gave offer
2. Buyer sees offer, doesn't like it, changes the webpage on HIS browser to show a price he likes, takes a screenshot, sends it to seller accusing someone or another of something
3. If seller isn't paying attention they may accept.

It's pretty hair-brained if you ask me. It must assume that the seller is managed/run by several people who may not be well coordinated.

Worse versions of this scam have been exposed by a few vigilantes who have pretended to be unsuspecting victims and then hacked the scammers back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzgQ35s9Os

Last edited by Nunkin; 07-16-2020 at 03:05 PM.
07-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Free Member

The confusion was in post 31 where the member was selling something and mentioning the buyer as a "seller", that's what confused me.
08-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Free Member

I noticed that the ebay seller in question (sony-av-collector, av-collection, trans-auction, 123wonbid, youwillbesatisfied, vcr-r-us, vcrseller, minhquanle, audio-video-hobby) also does this crap to the vcr market on ebay.

This JVC 7800 was only available for less than 24 hours. Likely less. I've been watching the 7000 series devices lately and so noticed this one disappear super quick. Not sure if it was even a "buy it now" or they made an offer but it sold super quick either way.

In less than 24 hours after it sold I see it up again, using the SAME PICTURES for almost 4 times the original price.

Upon closer inspection of the time the original sold to the time he made his new listing it was less than 10 freaking hours.

Whoever this person is...they just suck. Plain and simple. When something nice shows up on ebay for a decent price they snag it and inflate the prices. They are actively doing harm to the reseller market and adding no value.
08-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by retartedted View Post
In less than 24 hours after it sold I see it up again,
Upon closer inspection of the time the original sold to the time he made his new listing it was less than 10 freaking hours.
It's also a red flag that this person doesn't test gear, condition is completely unknown.

08-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Free Member

I never paid that much for a VCR even the very special ones, If everyone does like I do I guess those scammers can't survive. But buyers go nuts, they pay crazy prices for faulty VCR's and pay more in repair fees and shipping. So after all I don't blame those sellers, yes it is unethical but not illegal.
08-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Free Member

seen same wondered abut what was happing originally the thought passed through my mind it was less than 300.00 went
to check to see if I had the funds went right back gone sold then next day there it is on youwillbesatisfieds E-bay page so
the guy is in Huston area according to his E-bay page glad I read this string
08-30-2020, 04:34 PM
Free Member

In the stock markets this would be called 'cornering the market' and is a highly illegal offence. Really shocking and sad.
09-02-2020, 01:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunkin View Post
In the stock markets this would be called 'cornering the market' and is a highly illegal offence. Really shocking and sad.
Cornering the market is not illegal, but it's also impossible.
The Hunt family, deep pockets, tried this, and failed: https://priceonomics.com/how-the-hun...-silver-market
Infamous financial story, especially in Texas.

Trying to corner the VCR market is not possible, especially with all the variables that exist in terms of condition. Sellers like this are just noise compared to what members here do in the marketplace, which is actually provide solid units. The Houston guy is trying to ride the coattails of reputable VCR sellers like lordsmurf, deter, TGrant, VCRshop, and others. In time he will be found out to be a fraud, though this thread is actually already revealing that fact.

We've already alerted eBay to his shenanigans, and it has been noted somewhere. He's on a short leash there, whether or not he knows it.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-23-2020, 03:43 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Cornering the market is not illegal
You're absolutely right - I misremembered it as market manipulation due to the VW/Porsche case in 2008 where the German regulator started investigating Porsche for market manipulation - the case isn't even really comparable because it involved a short squeeze which could be manipulated for Porsche's gain. At worst it's a fine line.

Quote:
it's also impossible.
The Hunt family, deep pockets, tried this, and failed: https://priceonomics.com/how-the-hun...-silver-market
Infamous financial story, especially in Texas.
It's hard, esp in a highly commoditised and liquid market, and esp if you are using leverage (as the Hunt brothers were) which you don't have full discretion over. But it's not impossible.

Any market where there is limited supply/information can be cornered by buying up supply and then hiking up the prices for resale - which is precisely what these dubious e-bayers are doing with VCRs - buying and instantaneously reselling (even with identical images). The reason why it doesn't work well with VCRs is precisely as you describe - non-commoditised goods, but that doesn't stop them from applying its principles and making a quick buck off the VCR community, even if it's not a perfect execution of this strategy.

The NVIDIA RTX 3080 is an excellent example of a market that has been cornered today. You can only get these items for 2x the price they were sold for by the manufacturer on e-bay, all because the manufacturer isn't making enough of them / doesn't intend to make enough of them. Arguably this comes with the turf with any supply constrained good like a Hermes handbag etc. As you say, not illegal, just capitalism at work.

Quote:
reputable VCR sellers like lordsmurf, deter, TGrant, VCRshop, and others
I bought a TBC-1000 from VCRShop (the Netherlands), and was thoroughly impressed with their service.

Last edited by Nunkin; 10-23-2020 at 04:40 AM.
10-23-2020, 04:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I bought a TBC-1000 from VCRShop (the Netherlands), and was thoroughly impressed with their service.
I've gotten a PAL deck from him, and it was a nice unit. I'll probably buy another at some point.

To be critical: I don't know about "thoroughly impressed" (the VCR wasn't as well-packed as what I'd do), but I was satisfied. And I've read that his decks may not work as well as expected, but I did not run into that issue myself. It's hard to get an idea about the unit when the only description is "condition is as seen in pictures". I did see decks that looked questionable, and I passed over those. He's also not the most communication chap, some messages were never replied to. I just don't get the impression that he's overly friendly, as I try to be. The unit took about a month to arrive, but I expected that from PostNL>USPS.

Related thread from a few years ago: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...shop-ebay.html

A TBC-1000 is usually hard to screw up*, it either works or doesn't. Packing a TBC is a bit less critical than packing VCRs. It needs some safety, good bubble wrap and a sturdy box, but you don't have to worry about orientation (upside-down or sideways with VCR = bad!) or fragile resin-like plastic panels (ie JVCs).

(*But as mentioned in another post, some dodgy TBC-1000s have been on eBay this year, tampered-with units that were not functioning properly. Though those were all from a pair of North American sellers, not from overseas. Origin on these is dubious, perhaps a pallet of cast-off units that was warranty returns from DataVideo? Just warehouse stored, never fixed? Anyway, eBay, par for the course.)

10-24-2020, 11:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
It's a common scam actually - a lot of them use this trick. The simple one described above:

1. Seller gave offer
2. Buyer sees offer, doesn't like it, changes the webpage on HIS browser to show a price he likes, takes a screenshot, sends it to seller accusing someone or another of something
3. If seller isn't paying attention they may accept.

It's pretty hair-brained if you ask me. It must assume that the seller is managed/run by several people who may not be well coordinated.

Worse versions of this scam have been exposed by a few vigilantes who have pretended to be unsuspecting victims and then hacked the scammers back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzgQ35s9Os
Late to the party, but it's an unfortunate gray area of eBay.

Seller sells an item but the winning bid isn't high for what they wanted to make off the item, so they cancel the order and relist the item for a higher price. I'm sure anyone who frequently buys item on eBay has had this happen. They can even do it after the buyer pays. They get a refund if they even get charged at all. All the original winning bidder can do is leave negative feedback. However, if a seller does it too many times they'll supposedly get banned.
12-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Well, it is a real pity that we are getting so many scammers on the internet right now. To be honest, I used to be shopping a lot on eBay untill the last year. It was kind of meltdown for me, after I got scammed twice in there.