Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Was that Live Chat? Chat is often staffed by L1 techs, which are nothing more than glorified secretaries that read scripts, and respond to basic questions.

I don't think this person was even reading what you had written -- a common problem with chat techs everywhere. Of course the servers are secured, and that's what he/she was referring to. But that has nothing to do with the issue of "addon domains" vs full domain isolation.

Beyond that, there are red flags:
Code:
regular shared and reseller accounts are housed on are the same
Ignoring the fact that this is poor grammar, it sounds like the shared and reseller accounts are on the same servers. If true, that's a horrible setup ripe for abuse and resource exhaustion. The host easily and quickly loses control of the server resources, and it will lead to slower sites, even when CloudLinux is deployed.

Quality hosts keep shared and reseller accounts on different servers. (Exception: small hosts with few accounts)

The person let this slip by wrongly answering your question. Between the poor setup, and not reading (or understanding) your question, I would stay far away from that mess. It will lead to no good.

So far, it seems Site5 is the best fit for you. Honestly, it's all downhill from there. That's easily one of the best hosts that you'll find.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Free Member

Just thought I'd mention for anyone reading the article that Arvixe was, in fact, bought out by Hostgator and is now an EIG company.

It appears the purchase happened last month.

Last edited by amc2002; 12-07-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Took out personal experience
12-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc2002 View Post
Just thought I'd mention for anyone reading the article that Arvixe was, in fact, bought out by Hostgator and is now an EIG company.

I only found this out after I signed up and immediately had massive issues with them.

Just warning others away.

It's a shame, because their ratings are still quite high. It appears the purchase happened last month.
Can you support a bit more information? Simply a personal bad experience isn't exactly proof of anything. All host have their ups and downs, because no one is perfect.
12-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Free Member

Adam, fair enough -- I removed my personal experience from my original post and stuck with the objective facts. If you would do the same to my quote in your reply, I'd appreciate it. If you'd like to know more about my experience, I can PM, but no need really.

Since I just missed editing my original post to include the sale info, I'll post it here:
http://www.hostjury.com/blog/view/71...-mega-host-eig
The following users thank amc2002 for this useful post: AdamH (12-07-2014)
12-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Adam, fair enough -- I removed my personal experience from my original post and stuck with the objective facts. If you would do the same to my quote in your reply, I'd appreciate it. If you'd like to know more about my experience, I can PM, but no need really.

Since I just missed editing my original post to include the sale info, I'll post it here:
http://www.hostjury.com/blog/view/71...-mega-host-eig
Thank you for providing a visual link to the source of your information.
12-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
Thank you for providing a visual link to the source of your information.
No problem -- and if you can still edit it, your original post contains my complete quote. If you can edit it out, that would be great (to stick to the objective facts). Cheers.
08-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Free Member

Your article is still promoting Site5 as a non-EIG company, however it is now proven that Site5 has been acquired by EIG as announced in their 2nd quarter market results. They have also swallowed up Verio.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/end...lts-2015-08-04

It's proving very difficult avoiding EIG.
08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Yes, it was silently bought by EIG (as usual), in October 2014. But the information was not revealed for a few months.

Starting in June 2015, Arvixe was finally dissolved, and EIG seems to be at the helm now. Some of us already knew that would happen, as Arvixe was a liquid-asset company, having limited ownership (renting Softlayer servers) and an all-remote workforce. Servers are being migrated to Provo (Utah), and other services are being affected (example: the affiliate program, for those still spamming writing "reviews".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-ES View Post
Your article is still promoting Site5 as a non-EIG company, however it is now proven that Site5 has been acquired by EIG as announced in their 2nd quarter market results. They have also swallowed up Verio.
It's proving very difficult avoiding EIG.
Correct, Site5 was bought in May 2015.

On one hand, it was a surprise, because Ben was very anti-EIG, and had surrounded himself by talented folks. But he was always friendly to ex-Hostgator-now-EIG employees, as he'd started in the industry alongside former Hostgator owner Brent Oxley. I guess Ben can now relax of Brent's Texas ranch. I can't blame the guy for accepting millions of dollars, as that's a life-changing amount.

But for the rest of us, it spells doom. EIG has already stated that it will be migrated around Q1 2016. And like Arvixe, Site5 was purely liquid, with Softlayer leasing and all-remote workforce. Some may stay, but I have a feeling that the good guys like Tom will be moving to non-EIG pastures within 6 months.

It was a nice host while it lasted.

We're in process of updating our articles and guides again. At this time, Siteground, InMotion, WebhostingBuzz, Stablehost and Namecheap seem to be top options for the "unlimited" web hosting space.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-11-2016, 06:10 AM
Free Member

UPDATE NEEDED: - apparently Site5 has bitten the dust...
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...7914dex991.htm
09-24-2023, 03:10 PM
Free Member

As of today, I am a new member. Found this group via the web post of the original post. Found it VERY enlightening!