Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I've caught several ISPs filtering entire blocks of servers lately, and without any reason being given. Our server is on the 77.235.32.0/19 block, from a highly respected European host (EuroVPS).

In a few cases, I think all of 77.235.0.0/16 is being blocked. Maybe even 77.0.0.0/8!

Really, really stupid. That blackholes most of Europe. Talk about USA ISPs being xenophobic.

As such, I've had to add warnings to the forum sign-up page. See attached image. Apparently a lot of AOL, AT&T (sbcglobal.com), Earthlink/Mindspring, Comcast and MSN customers are not always getting their emails. Some do, some do not, and it makes no sense. BOL in Brazil is also guilty.

Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, and your own hosted servers have no problems.

I'd like to thank forum member mcowen64 for bring this to our attention. Hopefully this warning can reduce confusion in the future. We've always known about ISPs diverting messages into spam folders, but it now seems they're blackholing certain address ranges entirely. No spammed emails, no bounce messages, nothing. That's very poor email practices on the part of the ISP. For shame!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg newregistration-digitalFAQ.jpg (44.9 KB, 6 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

I actually had a problem with Verizon completely dropping any domain transfer related e-mails from Namecheap. Eventually it got resolved. I couldn't simply change the contact e-mail to something else since the domain was being transferred from GoDaddy.
08-15-2013, 03:10 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Wow, yuck!

Did you have ample time for the transfer, or did you cut it close? That's why I always tend to my domains a few months, weeks at minimum, before they expire. Something like that is stressful! Did Verizon ever give a reason for it? Last night when we were doing site maintenance, I only saw one Verizon email, so it got a pass for now. I'll have to keep my eye on it.

It's only ISPs, too! Seems backwards that for-pay email has issues, and free ones do not. Crazy!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.