11-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Free Member

I bought about 3 or 4 Digital8 Sonys now, one I lent to a friend and he still has it, the intent there was for him to dub his tape collection to PC, what I love about it is pass through of any analog to digital even live! No need for a tape, and there's Firewire support!

Did you guys know that Firewire supposedly supports Digital Surround? I read that it's capable of things like DTS or Dolby Digital, but it's already set to be phased out and it works like a charm on so many devices.

My feeling is it can stand to be around longer in the digital age.

Digital8 initially got scorn from me, as MiniDV and DV came about at the same time and Panasonic had put out some super high price camcorders in the ProSumer lineup.
Sony again played the angle of filling a stop-gap, they did this with MiniDisc as well, creating a video camera that records on MD format! VERY rare, and expensive nowadays.

They also created a STop Gap with video on floppydisk using Mavica line cameras. It's very interesting but not too useful. Early Handycams recorded on Memorystick as well, but they didn't get the quality that later came to pass
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Indeed, it was a good format. Video8 and Hi8 were excellent formats, better than VHS, and Digital8 built on that by being a reverse compatible DV variant. In my opinion, 8mm based tapes were superior to the analog home-recording formats (VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS-C) -- especially Hi8. And Digital8 tapes were often more robust than DV tapes.

Now, Sony made a lot of terrible formats -- MicroMV, MiniDisc, magneto optical drives, floppy disk cameras, etc.

As far as sound support on Digital8, I don't really know, and it probably differs from Sony camera to Sony camera, if it exists at all. Sony has a bad habit of making things on paper only.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs