Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Joe Smith (smith-rebootit@aol.com) is e-mailing you about
General comments and site feedback. (Praise preferred, constructive criticism welcomed, venom ignored.)

Message: How cute, you try to disable right click menus. Don't try to break the web, it's lame. This isn't 1999 with a Geocities homepage anymore. People expect to be able to use certain functions, right clicking to get a menu is one of those functions.

Since you choose to break the web, we are choosing to blacklist your site at our edge filtering for all sites.

Contact Details:
IP: 174.49.211.207
E-mail: smith-rebootit@aol.com
Forum Username: Unregistered (ID=0)
Referring Page: index.php
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Last week, we received the little gem above.

While we try to keep this site as professional as possible, the only word I can think of to describe this person is "a$$hole".

Never do that.

The person is complaining about an old script -- several small ones, actually -- that are more than 10 years old. Once upon a time, that's how you thwarted copy/paste plagiarism. But it's not really effective now. The code doesn't even work in most browsers, which is why we never noticed until earlier this year (2013). Fixing this is on the to-do list, but isn't a priority.

For the past year, we've been sidetracked by more important issues -- like this one and this one -- and have been unable to dedicate much time to the main site. It's been a rough year.

Had he merely asked, we could have helped him do whatever it is he was trying to do. But no, apparently in the 2010s, being a jerk is what passes for "feedback" on the internet.

It's also amusing when somebody makes threats. Oh no, we're being blocked by .... ?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

I'd agree with him. The only people you are slowing down is the regular user who 99.9% of the time isn't going to be interested in stealing your content so why bother?
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'm the only one here that was also annoyed by it. It would get in the way of developing the site in local browsers.

It's not on today's schedule (more important things to do) ... but I think it's been removed now.

Still, the person that contacted us by email was in the wrong. That's not the way to contact site owners. We're very friendly and responsive here -- something that's rare, as most site owners ignore people -- so there's just no excuse for that. Be courteous when contacting sites, not rude.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
...That's not the way to contact site owners...
Oh darn... there goes my First Choice-! Now... where did I put those torches and pitchforks?
The following users thank ChristineBCW for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-22-2013)