Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-10-2014, 02:48 AM
Free Member

Hey everyone,

So I've been lurking on here, doing some of my own reading but I'm having trouble finding some of the answers to my questions and so I'm wondering if any of you could help. As far as I can tell there are various PAL systems (B/G, M, N, etc) and so I'm wondering if I need the PAL equipment to be all one type or I can use equipment from various systems. As far as I can tell you can as no one seems to point out particular PAL systems just whether something is PAL, NTSC or SECAM. Anyway thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

The different PAL letters usually indicate differences in over the air broadcasts (sound carrier frequencies, etc.). They were important for tuners, not what was recorded on the tape. The only PAL format that was different was PAL-M used in Brazil. That system used NTSC framerates (480/60i vs. 525/50i), but PAL color encoding.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: DamianoD (07-21-2014), lordsmurf (07-18-2014)
07-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
As stated, when it comes to PAL VHS tapes from Europe and Australia, the exact subsystem does not matter.

What is the context for learning this?
Do you want to buy a PAL VCR? Or are you just trying to learn about defunct formats?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: DamianoD (07-21-2014)
07-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Free Member

Thank you NJRoadfan! That information was very useful! Hey Lordsmurf I am learning this because I am building a VHS editing suite in my house for some video projects and film projects. I am using the defunct format and I live in Australia so PAL is the standard here. I have bought some Videonics equipment from UK and Israel (PAL) and wanted to make sure it was all good.