Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Free Member

I recently purchased some cartoons only released in the UK (Marvel). Since PAL resolution is natively higher, are PAL copies better quality than NTSC copies? I would think the obvious answer is yes, but I don't know how source plays into it. In fact, I would think professional companies would create in PAL if quality would be better.

Thoughts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

it all depends on the source really..I've seen some really crappy dvds/blu-rays....which is why I turned to laserdiscs
07-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
No.

Most PAL DVDs that are from American or Japanese content (NTSC native) are scaled from NTSC masters. Few PAL DVDs source from original film, assuming any exists. There also tends to be harsh color issues.

Take one of my favorite cartoons -- Smurfs! The Australian DVD releases all have various artifacts -- color, grain, ghosting, softness, etc. In many cases, the NTSC broadcast masters, as used on Boomerang and Cartoon Network, are superior. The NTSC USA R1 releases re better yet. The only reason to have the PAL release is to acquire the S7-S9 episodes, which have USA rights tied up, and probably always will (NBC Universal vs. Warner).

Some of the old S8 UK PAL tapes are better than the R4 DVDs.

So that obvious answer, actually, is no -- at least for Marvel cartoons. Now if we were talking Doctor Who, then that's another story.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs