Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Free Member

any of you guys ever go to thrift stores

I went and scored a JVC dvdrecoder VHS combo and a Panasonic dvd-recoder combo

and a JVC Dolbydigtal /DTS 7.1 system

the Panasonic was in perfect condition
looked brand new with low usage (no dust on the fan)

the JVC had minor damage on the top of the case

both of them have ATSC tunners which is Awesome!

I been fairly lucky and only gotten a few bad dvd recoders one of them was a lite on which i replaced the drive
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've looked at Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, and other thift stores in the area. In all my trips to date, I've never found anything. After my last trips this year, I've given up. All I see now are normal low-end consumer VCRs from the 2000s, which is the worst of the worst. No receivers, no DVD recorders, nothing. They do have nice tube TVs, for cheap, if you want any.

The last time I saw anything useful was a huge flea market in the 90s. But in those days, I wasn't really seeking used video gear. Back then, we could still buy everything we wanted new. Plus much of that stuff was beat-up 80s gear.

If you're in the Dallas area, Trader's Village in Grand Prairie has the most potential. It's really the only one left in the area, where people bring old stuff regularly, and it's huge. I want to try and go this summer, when I visit my sister.

The LiteOn was definitely a nice find.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Free Member

Yeah I been lucky and found many HIGH end SVHS (and mini-DV combos) linear stereo editor decks . world VHS players panasonic dvd recroders .. sony dvd-rw/vcr combos

about 30-40 units in the last year