Quantcast 8bit Trio - My New Youtube Gaming Channel - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey guys I started a new retro video gaming youtube channel . Its me , my two friends , drinking and playing old school games . If you like it subscribe because we're gonna be adding more videos soon . Thanks ,


Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
12-20-2014, 11:53 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
If you want to see something hilarious, check these out:





Teenagers these days are whiny babies -- and they seriously suck at classic games.

Those were some of my favorite games back in the day. (Yes, I beat them, many times. I could probably still beat Punch-Out, but I'm not so sure about Mega Man. My hands are not what they used to be. I think Mega Man III was harder, too! Ninja Gaiden, Robocop, TMNT, and many others were really hard, but fun.)

I still have my original NES, though I do cheat and emulate it on my XBOX so I can do the 'save state'. (I can't just sit on my butt for a whole day to play a game like I did in the 80s!)

I'd hate to see them play something like Double Dragon III where you get one life for the whole game!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
12-21-2014, 10:05 AM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ha ! Yes those videos are funny !

Kids these days......oh man theres something wrong with them . But the game industry caters to them so in return we get crappy easy boring video games today .

I got my NES back when it came out , I was only 6 years old and I could beat Super Mario Bros . So come on , kids today are REALLY pathetic at video games .

You Lord Smurf are awesome for being a fellow NES gamer ! It is difficult to find time now being older to play video games . But it sure is fun to get together with old friends , drink some beer and play NES . If you haven't done it in awhile you need to have some friends over on Saturday , dust off the NES and have some fun . It always brings back good memory's of being a kid in the 80's . I miss the 80's !!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
12-21-2014, 11:56 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
Myself and two friends (one from HS, one from college) used to get together to play PS2 almost every weekend in the early and mid 2000s. Every now and again, we'd pull out an NES or MAME emulator. It was fun times. Then I moved, and that was that. I do miss those days.

I can't drink beer anymore -- it messes with my medicine. Mexican Cokes (the ones with real sugar) are my vice these days.

Best of all, I can have one at 10 a.m., and nobody gives me odd looks.

When you can't drive, you don't get much 'friend time'. Some visit several times per year, as at least we're all within 3 hours these days. But right now, it's mostly just family time. Remember, I went through a lot in 2012 and 2013. And while I've recovered quite well, it's still not 100% yet. I don't have a normal life yet.

Gee, that's sounded depressing, didn't it?

I know how to cure that! Some personal NES time!

Actually, video games are one of the methods I've used for therapy. It really helps with my finger coordination. The Wii, especially the bowling, helps with the whole arm. I just don't do it as much as typing. I wanted my ability to type back first, and I pretty much have it again. Maybe not as fast, and I may have to look at the keyboard sometimes, but overall pretty good. Handwriting is mostly back as well. Next, I want to draw again. And for that nimbleness, I'll need game training.

So, yeah, playing video games is a medical need.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
12-21-2014, 12:10 PM
msgohan msgohan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,221
Thanked 285 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Teenagers these days are whiny babies -- and they seriously suck at classic games.
...
(I can't just sit on my butt for a whole day to play a game like I did in the 80s!)
Well... isn't that exactly why they suck at them? Why sit trying to get past the same frustrating part over and over when a person can just drop it and play on the internet instead?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
12-21-2014, 12:35 PM
NJRoadfan NJRoadfan is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,126
Thanked 347 Times in 284 Posts
Is that a VHS capture? The chroma is kinda flickery. With Youtube supporting 60fps, true video game footage will be possible finally. The NES composite output is pretty horrible though. If you want a quality boost and aren't afraid of soldering, check out this mod: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

Gets you RGB output along with S-Video. It also has selectable color palettes as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
12-21-2014, 12:40 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
That's another reason I like emulating the NES -- better output for my HDTV.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Myself and two friends (one from HS, one from college) used to get together to play PS2 almost every weekend in the early and mid 2000s. Every now and again, we'd pull out an NES or MAME emulator. It was fun times. Then I moved, and that was that. I do miss those days.

I can't drink beer anymore -- it messes with my medicine. Mexican Cokes (the ones with real sugar) are my vice these days.

Best of all, I can have one at 10 a.m., and nobody gives me odd looks.

When you can't drive, you don't get much 'friend time'. Some visit several times per year, as at least we're all within 3 hours these days. But right now, it's mostly just family time. Remember, I went through a lot in 2012 and 2013. And while I've recovered quite well, it's still not 100% yet. I don't have a normal life yet.

Gee, that's sounded depressing, didn't it?

I know how to cure that! Some personal NES time!

Actually, video games are one of the methods I've used for therapy. It really helps with my finger coordination. The Wii, especially the bowling, helps with the whole arm. I just don't do it as much as typing. I wanted my ability to type back first, and I pretty much have it again. Maybe not as fast, and I may have to look at the keyboard sometimes, but overall pretty good. Handwriting is mostly back as well. Next, I want to draw again. And for that nimbleness, I'll need game training.

So, yeah, playing video games is a medical need.
I didn't know you were going through some problems for the last few years . Sorry to hear about that . My membership expired but reading that gave me incentive to renew and contribute to the Lord Smurf Relief Fund . So now I'm back to premium member again . This site is great , its really helped keep my ATI all in wonder setup working . Its just too bad support for Windows XP has stopped . It really sucks for all us ATI capture card users .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Is that a VHS capture? The chroma is kinda flickery. With Youtube supporting 60fps, true video game footage will be possible finally. The NES composite output is pretty horrible though. If you want a quality boost and aren't afraid of soldering, check out this mod: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

Gets you RGB output along with S-Video. It also has selectable color palettes as well.
We used the most ghetto setup . All audio went through an analog mixer and then to a VCR . We gotta dial in the sound because we got a lot of clipping distortion . I have a hardware Limiter for the audio that I'm gonna use so we don't clip .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
12-22-2014, 10:51 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLegnon View Post
I didn't know you were going through some problems for the last few years . Sorry to hear about that .
The bottom half of this post gives the quick history of my ordeal, with links to thread with more info:
Need help? lordsmurf is here!

Quote:
My membership expired but reading that gave me incentive to renew and contribute to the Lord Smurf Relief Fund . So now I'm back to premium member again .
And it's really appreciated.

Quote:
This site is great , its really helped keep my ATI all in wonder setup working . Its just too bad support for Windows XP has stopped . It really sucks for all us ATI capture card users .
I actually have it confirmed as working on a Windows Vista system. Windows 7 is very finicky, however. It's not a guaranteed method like Vista. I've worked on post-XP ATI for 2 years now, and think I finally have it pinned down. The PCI card works best, the AGP second best. The PCIe card is the worst to use. But I'm not done yet.

I have our ATI setups on the ASRock Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad motherboard with AGP to give the most power possible to the ATI cards. I also have an i7 PCIe motherboard that I'm playing with, and an older PCI card on a generic P4 box. Windows 8 is probably useless, but Win Vista, and maybe Win7, may be doable. It's not as easy as XP, but not impossible.

VirtualDub works for Win7 and Vista.
MMC only works in Vista. It worked only once in Win7 out of about ~50 attempts. That's annoying.

It's a form of video voodoo to get it working.

I hope to present my findings in Feb. Currently working on other site aspects, and especially those Avisynth guides. The ones online elsewhere suck, and are uselessly dated. I want to create modern ones, and for newbies.

As I've slowly recovered, that's what I've been doing. It's just really slow.

EDIT:

And I did try to play my NES emulator yesterday. I could not get past Sandman. I know what tho do, but my hands (and maybe that controller) refused to cooperate. I need to pull out the actual NES sometime and try again. After giving up on Punch-Out, I played some Street Fighter II CE until I got gamer thumb and had to quit.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
12-28-2014, 02:55 PM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When I read your symptoms with your hands I thought......oh crap don't be a stroke , don't be a stroke , probably just a car accident or something like that .......

But I see it actually was a stroke . Really sorry to hear that . One of my best friends about 10 years ago had a stroke at 27 . High blood pressure runs in his family and he didn't know about it . He was also over weight and would party/drink like crazy . I think all the drinking is what really caused it . He was the guy at the party that out drank everyone , but never was an annoying or mad drunk , always kept his composure and was always joking making everyone laugh . He drank anything and everything , drank whiskey like water . He got pulled over by the cops many times driving home from party's over stupid things like a blinker not working , but he could sober up instantly , the cops would talk to him and never think he'd been drinking . I guess you could say he was a Professional Drunk , ha .

He was also the best at Street Fighter 2 . My mom would drop us off at an arcade and I'd give him 1 quarter and he would beat everyone for hours . I'd get second round , usually loose , then he'd kill'em in the 3rd round . He was really , really good at fighting games .

Thats why when I read about your symptoms the first thing I thought was stroke . My friend lost a lot of his gaming skills . His hand reaction time has slowed down . Sad thing is I can beat him at SF2 now . He plays a lot of RPGs instead , but still some fighting games .

He has improved a lot over the years . So keep on working at your recovery and hopefully you can recover like he did and be close to 100% again .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
It wasn't an actual stroke, but rather an MS episode that mimicked one. I've read that less than 3% of MS patients have this happen, and my doctor said that a repeat of this is very unlikely (especially since I'm now on treatment). I'm not sure what % recover from it, but thankfully I've slowly regained most of my abilities. I keep hoping for a 100% recovery, and I really do believe that will happen in mid/late 2015.

I was good at the vanilla SF2 and SF2 CE, but Turbo and all those hacked machines were never my thing. I still remember a SF2 tournament was being advertised all over town, so I entered it. I think it was like $5 or so. I lost in the first round because it was some version of SF2 that I'd never seen before. It had some sort of anti-gravity mod, and I was playing against a house regular. I was pissed. I'd have never entered if I knew what it was. Waste of time and money.

My nephew is a teen, and I plugged in my old NES and watched him play Punchout. I have no idea WTF is wrong with kids now, but all he did was mash buttons. I don't remember being that stupid 30 years ago. He lasted maybe 10 minutes, griped about the graphics, then wanted to quit. He was "bored" (quote). What's sad is he considers himself a "gamer" since he plays Minecraft.

What really floors me is he griped about the graphics ... then plays Minecraft?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
01-07-2015, 09:31 PM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you haven't seen this video its really good .

Reply With Quote
  #13  
01-08-2015, 04:57 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,175
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,717 Posts
I always cringe when people act as if video games are a sport or spectator event.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #14  
01-09-2015, 10:43 AM
JLegnon JLegnon is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I always cringe when people act as if video games are a sport or spectator event.
Well the poor non-athletic Nerds had to think up something to make themselves feel like they can accomplish great things , so they decided to call sitting in chairs all day , eating chips , drinking sodas and playing video games a sport . Now what they are doing is not just wasting time all day , but the equivalent of Michael Jordan dunking a basketball and Tigerwoods getting a Hole in One . Well thats what the nerds tell their Moms when they yell at them to turn those damn video games off !!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert LaserDisc to PC using Hauppauge HD-PVR2 Gaming Edtion? mfvdd Capture, Record, Transfer 4 11-30-2014 10:38 AM
Photoshop Question, how to merge photos into trio panel ? Canon Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing 1 11-25-2011 09:50 PM
Record one channel while watching another stoogedog Capture, Record, Transfer 5 07-19-2006 07:09 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM