Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-13-2015, 06:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The main guide/editorial/review portion of the site is getting some major overhauls!

Aside from some core design elements (the blue background and colors), almost everything will have a slight facelift. Some things will also be reorganized, to allow for our 2015 expansions. You'll notice more tweaks as time goes by, if you venture outside the forum.

You can see the new sizes here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/

Note: Google Fonts are now being used, so if you're using NoScript (and allowing font blocking), then you'll see it in lower quality (with boring Verdana fonts).

This site was designed before the advent of iPads and large 23"+ monitors. Fonts got smaller. This should help with that.

What is your opinion?

I'm not yet sure if larger fonts are needed or wanted in the forums. I will surely break some things, so a forum facelift wouldn't happen until the summer. But I'm curious what our members think.

Do you want bigger fonts in the forum as well? Or is it fine? (I vote "leave it alone".)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The main guide/editorial/review portion of the site is getting some major overhauls!

Aside from some core design elements (the blue background and colors), almost everything will have a slight facelift. Some things will also be reorganized, to allow for our 2015 expansions. You'll notice more tweaks as time goes by, if you venture outside the forum.

You can see the new sizes here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/

Note: Google Fonts are now being used, so if you're using NoScript (and allowing font blocking), then you'll see it in lower quality (with boring Verdana fonts).

This site was designed before the advent of iPads and large 23"+ monitors. Fonts got smaller. This should help with that.

What is your opinion?

I'm not yet sure if larger fonts are needed or wanted in the forums. I will surely break some things, so a forum facelift wouldn't happen until the summer. But I'm curious what our members think.

Do you want bigger fonts in the forum as well? Or is it fine? (I vote "leave it alone".)
I Vote Fine as it Is!..The rest is too damn complicacated, for a subject that is complicated in the first place anyhow!!??, Why mess with a good thing?

Last edited by rocko; 03-13-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add
The following users thank rocko for this useful post: admin (03-13-2015)
03-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Some folks may not have seen the new fonts. I just now purged the cache. Look again.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Free Member

I like the old, but probably because I have been staring at that font for a while. It will not bother me much either way, but when I need to change text size I just use the keyboard shortcuts...
03-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Free Member

I don't want bigger fonts on the forum.
03-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Free Member

I prefer the bigger fonts. Someday your eyes will get old too!
The following users thank DonH for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-15-2015)
03-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Free Member

+1 for leaving it alone. My eyes are old already
Disclaimer: I hate all those new-look sites.
03-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Free Member

I think that if you go to the page posted in the original post, you'll be hard pressed to see a significant difference. The font size goes from 12px Lucinda to 13px Verdana. The line-height goes from 16px to 21px, so there is more white space between lines.

It looks like the forum font attributes are all part of the html. That's an old technique, generally frowned upon for a lot of reasons.
03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Actually, it's 13px Open Sans, now using the Google font API.

Verdana is just one of the fallback fonts, along with Arial, and a generic sans-serif call. If you're using NoScript, or otherwise blocking Google, you won't see the nicer Open Sans. (I like Noscript myself, but the font blocking is asinine. All that does is screw up sites. I always turn off that half-baked "feature" of NoScript.)

The forum fonts are all CSS, using the PHP generated vBulletin stylesheet. The PHP is generated once, then cached. It re-caches when updated, so that PHP/MySQL is not needlessly queries. Only a very few are HTML, due to our own customizations (and this forum has tons of them).

I actually tightened the white space yesterday, but (again) forgot to purge the cache. CloudFlare keeps a death grip on JS and CSS, and it can be annoying.

What we need is something that is between "12px" and "13px" -- a font face that had the same width as Lucida 12px, but is 13px tall. And is still readable like Lucida Sans. Open Sans is decent, but doesn't have the clarity of Lucida Sans. It's fine for guides/etc, but not for the forum. Verdana is too wide and bubbly. Arial and Tahoma have terrible kerning. I've mostly exhausted the free options, and may look at some pay fonts next. If you've come here lately in the wee hours, you might have seen my font tests.

We're always open to suggestions. It's why we seek and value user input

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Free Member

It's good that it's css, I'm looking at IE11 Developer tools which I haven't quite got the hang of yet. It's showing a file ending in .html line 40 for the styles. It apparently doesn't see the css file by name. Typography for websites has always been frustrating and with the proliferation in screen sizes and resolutions, it's worse!
03-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Like! (Easier for old eyes to read)!
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Free Member

I'm new comer here,well, the fonts is the biggest problem...please change it
03-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOooo2 View Post
I'm new comer here,well, the fonts is the biggest problem...please change it
That's not very specific.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Free Member