Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Free Member

Dear Sir,
I want to learn about a video enhancement software, developed by Mr. Roland Gilles, called FILM9.
Very little is available in English, so I am not so sure how to find out all the facts.
I am hoping Mr Gilles or one of his aids will read this and can contact me.
My questions about FILM9 are:

1 Do I need to download Virtualdub first in order to use FILM9, or is FILM9 an all in one software, for free?
2 I have FLV; MP4; AVI and MPEG2 videos which need cleaning up. What file type will they be once work is completed?
3 Does the software have Audio level control, up and down, in decibels?
4 Does it have Audio Normalization to render all my videos the same volume level?
5 Picture Cropping - to isolate part of the image as either 4:3 or 16:9?
6 Does it have Ratio 4:3 and 16:9 adjustment?
7 Does it: Sharpen; Deblock; Deinterlace; Denoise and Deshake video images?
8 Is there any kind of video Editing to remove, say, adverts in the middle of a video?

Where can I study English instructions to learn exactly how to operate and use FILM9?
Please send me a link from where I can download the software safely.
Hoping you will help me.
Regards.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
FILM9 is not at all suggested.

It's not "software", but rather a frontend (a very poor frontend!) for Avisynth and VirtualDub. It's mostly using the scripts written by videofred and johnmeyer. It attempts to be an all-in-one solution in a situation where all-in-one simply is not possible. It tries to force capture and restoration in a single pass. That's just not how things work.

Mr. Gilles / GillesH / Gelinox / Roland (whatever he calls himself) is an asshole, and not welcome on this site. He's rude, arrogant, dismissive, and (at first) didn't even credit the work of others that he was using.

At VH, myself, johnmeyer, manono (in public) and several others (in private) have all deemed it to be near-useless "software". At other sites, the verdict has been similiar. It's extremely buggy, is a failed attempt at an all-in-one (where an all-in-one should never be used), and even the best output examples are not very good.

You'll do yourself a greater service by:
- capturing losslessly with quality hardware
- properly learning and using Avisynth and VirtualDub, often in multiple passes

See also: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...m%29-and-video

All of your questions have different answers and workflows.
1. FILM9 is not AIO software, but just a frontend -- one that messes with VirtualDub registry settings
2. You must separately convert formats. Something like FLV/MP4/MPEG may not be restorable, either. It's too lossy.
3. Audio must be done in audio software. Sound Forge or Audacity is suggested.
4. See 3.
5. Cropping depends on the output needs.
6. See 5.
7. Avisynth and VirtualDub are what you need, not FILM9.
8. You need editing software. The format determine software (AVI vs. MPEG).

You're going about this all wrong. FILM9 made (false) promises and you've bought into them. Don't.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-30-2016, 05:34 AM
Free Member

Apologies for not replying sooner. I only got your letter today.
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell me all about Film9. You have only confirmed what I have long suspected.
A few weeks ago the developers informed me of a brand new version, (2.01), of Film9. They claim it is bigger and better in every way.
I had to install Net. Framework 4.6 installer, first; then I was able to install the new Film9. However, when I click the desktop icon to open it, all I get is a message saying "Film9 has stopped working".
I have also found the developers, Gilles and Roland to be very unhelpful and very belligerent. I do not know what is stopping Film9 from working. I can only think it is a bug, like you told me. So far I have never had the chance to even try the software!
If you know of any other reason for Film9 "not working", do please let me know, since I have no idea how to procceed when such things happen.
Many thanks again for all your kind help.
Regards