Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Free Member

I recently got a Denon DVD-2200 (US model)

When playing region 1 NTSC DVD's the picture looks fine.
When playing PAL DVD's the picture is shifted to the bottom of the screen so much it cuts off the bottom of a widescreen movie.

The same problem shows up through component and composite outputs, and on two different monitors.
The PAL DVD plays fine on my Pioneer DV-588A.
This is both before and after applying the firmware lordsmurf links to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
There are several ways that NTSC players can choose to playback PAL.
- One of the worst methods adds geometric distortion.
- Another terrible method deinterlaces.
- Yet another just adds ghosted frames.

The best DVD player method adds ~5 frames, without changing audio. The motion is somewhat less smooth, but it's better than screwing up the geometry, the interlacing, or adding ghosting.

The ideal PAL > NTSC method requires Avisynth, or a similar method. Rip the disc, convert, re-author. Of course, this takes time, and may not be worse it just to watch a movie.

The Denon just uses subpar conversion, it seems. Many "no name" players are like this. Only some of the higher-end (and higher-priced) players from Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, etc, tend to use the better methods. At this late date, DVD players are out, and Blu-ray players are in. The Samsung, for example, cannot player a PAL disc, but a PAL video streamed to it plays flawlessly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Free Member

Thanks.

I'm surprised the Denon uses subpar conversion since it would have cost more than the Pioneer when new.