Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Sound coming from a VHS tape is just as important as the Video. In the old (early 1980's) days, noticed that an audio cassette tape my buddy sent me, of us playing live music, didn't sound quite right, and then I discovered that each cassette deck had it's own speed of recording/playing depending on make/age/quality of deck, (then there was the tape head alignment/azimuth between each cassette deck too!)...And to go even further, phonographs/record players were even worse at +-True Pitch, which led to many a guitar player's arguments over which Key/Fret you played/started "Stairway to Heaven" in! "I Know I'm Right,because I listened/learned from the Record!!..I constantly have to check and adjust Audio Pitch on my older cassette audio tapes before committing them to digital,..But do I have to worry about that on VHS tapes? Was the A-440 standard present during the 1980's/90's VHS Cams?.. I'm pretty sure when "HI-FI" VHS came out, it was touted as being as good as or better than digital for a few short years,at the time?

Last edited by rocko; 10-11-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
HiFi, much like 640k of RAM, was touted as being all you'd ever need. Words like "perfection" were used to describe it. Audiophiles would, as usual, make up nonsense to backup the nonsense.

HiFi isn't necessarily any better or worse than anything else. Like video, audio is complex, and quality is determined along the entire chain of workflow, from recording to storage medium.

(And for the record, the idea that "vinyl is better than CD" is stupid. Different, yes. Better, no. But it has more to do with the workflows on the media, not the physical media itself.)

VHS has torsion issues. Over time, it can change.

(Actually, new-at-the-time cheap media already had issues. So it's not solely a race against time, but a race against quality as well. Low quality stuff would be bad before you even used it!)

But I will add this: If you're using cheap consumer speakers on a computer, or lower-end TV speakers, you won't notice. The speakers are screwing up the audio more than the source is!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs