Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I've been researching tying to find the best way to shoot my "new" JVC GY-X3 S-VHS camcorder and transfer to digital. This old tech is completely new to me, I normally film in 16mm and Super 8mm as a hobby. I aim to make a terribly written and horrible acted sci-fi surf movie in Hawaii. However, I want the analog quality at its max potential when transferred to digital for my bad movie.

I've done research online; I'd appreciate any tips or help. Can anyone inform me if this method will produce the highest quality S-VHS results, if it works, or if there is a better?

1) Using the S-VHS camcorder with a live feed into a Sony DSR-V10 DVCAM Walkman for highest lines of resolution output for digital capture.

2) Sony DSR-V10 DVCAM then connected by firewire to MacBook Pro, to be edited in iMovie or FCP.

Would the there be additional software required for this process?

Thank you for any help.

Mike

Latest Super 8mm short
https://vimeo.com/176420457
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-30-2016, 09:23 AM
Free Member

You'd get some additional quality by using uncompressed or lossless instead of DV. But if you can't use a laptop on location as your recorder, you'd have to chain together the expensive solution of an S-Video to HDMI (or SDI) adapter into a portable recorder (SSD).

Tags
digital, mac, s-vhs, transfer