Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Free Member

There are many new DTV, fairly cheap, converter boxes on the market. I say cheap rather than inexpensive, although they are inexpensive, because they seem to cut a lot of corners. They are, however, capable of excellent OTA reception with a good antenna and they have facilities to record, and play back, HD digital programs (analogous to VCR recording) that seems equivalent to the original broadcast. Things don't always go the way one would wish, however. Some of this may be due to use rather than intrinsic faults.

I don't find any mention of them here. I looked because I have questions. Are they not the sort of thing this forum cares to deal with?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2016, 12:04 AM
Free Member

The iView Digital Converter Box offers recording and media playback, an electronic programming guide, program information, auto tuning and a signal quality indicator. The box works with not only over-the-air signal, but also unencrypted cable and converts the signals to work with any TV. It includes connections for analog, HDMI, RCA, component and USB.

Features include real time and pre-programmed recording to a flash drive or external hard drive, parental controls, and an electronic programming guide with features that allow you to access programs from tunable channels on demand. In addition to being able to pause, rewind, and fast forward live TV, the digital converter box offers an exceptional tuner reception, as well as a built-in media player. Overall, it is easy to use and had a good user interface, making it a popular choice for cable cutters.
11-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I see several iView on Amazon.

We don't cover DTV converted boxes much on this forum simply because few of us need them. DTV boxes mostly work in the heart of a major city, where I'm not, so I rarely mention them myself.

I've always found most models to be lacking, and cutting corners. I'd been disappointed with what I've seen over the years. Between satellite/cable and streaming, DTV boxes are relegated to fringe discussions on most video sites. I used to have some, thanks to the free coupons many years ago. But I recycled them last year, as they sucked, and were just taking up space in my attic.

Ask your question. I may still know, as may others. Lots of smart video pros and hobbyists participate here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs