Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Free Member

I have connected my older Hi8Sony camcorder CCD TRV/85 to the Sony DCR-HC1000 and with AV streaming set up on the dig cam I can see the video on my win 10 PC. This works with Win movie maker and with Vegas movie studio. When I press import on both software programs then start my Hi8 I can still see the hi8 movie but both programs don't start recording until they rewind my dig cam, then they start the dig tape (must be inserted) and record that instead of my hi8.

I can't find a setting that prevents this switch and even stop and start or using the interrupted selection still results in a switch to the dig cam.

It seems to me that if I can watch my Hi8 through ths setup on my PC monitor then it should be able to record it.

Incidentally, if you're wondering why I'm so late in converting this...I converted all my 8mm many many years ago with the Canopus ADVC 300 and I thought my "Hi8" was shot in digital mode (tapes had the option for either). It had been so long that I forgot that the Hi8 cam only recorded in hi8.

Regarding the Canopus, even though I read rumors that there is a work around in win 10 I have not had success.
Thanks for any guidance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Windows Movie Maker = yuck. It's several degrading your image quality. Don't use that.
Vegas is an NLE or mini-NLE. Don't use that for capturing.

That camera-to-camera method is really hackish. Are you getting 4x3 from that 16x9 camera?

At any rate, use WinDV for DV transfer (or "capturing").

That Canopus box has many downsides. Ironically, your new hackish method will yield better results. The ADVC-300 has a temporal noise filter that could not be turned off.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs