Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Thought some of those on this forum might have some interest in this. Not technically educational, just a person of high regard (and a big preservationist) spending some time on this topic that we've focused so much of our attention on.

Leonard Maltin recently posted on his website about the "Death of VHS" last year, signified by the end of VCR production in 2016. Due to the immediate and large response his post got, he dedicated an episode of his podcast to the topic of home movie/video format history (going back to 8/16 mm films), with a large portion devoted to videotape. He mentions how VHS is still the most recent medium where a fair amount of content can be found, whether released commercially or recorded from broadcast.

The end of VCR production last year was also what finally pushed me over the edge to commit to digitizing my videotapes. I learned quickly that I wouldn't want to use the players they stopped producing. It was just the gravity of the symbolism that finally lit a big enough fire under me to get going on a long overdue project.

http://leonardmaltin.com/the-death-o...what-weve-lost (initial post)
http://nerdist.com/maltin-on-movies-...-movie-formats (followup podcast)
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-02-2017), sanlyn (05-31-2017)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors