Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2017, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

I was forewarned about this thing coming yesterday, while listening to KFI AM Radio (Los Angeles), and sure as heck it popped up on my Android's Chrome browser, while logging into another site, (a rather popular, yet exclusive members only railroad fan site) after midnight today. Aparently it will pop up on just about any site you log into today. I guess it's a good thing, to keep the Internet open and free of political correctness. The pop up asks us send our congressman a pre-filled letter, but wants some personal location info from the user also. Who are these people that have the power to make a message like this appear on every users browser? Is it a good thing? I simply input my basic (altered) info and sent it in.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Don't ever reply to unsolicited requests for your personal information. I'd strongly suggest that you run an antivirus scan to get rid of that malware. Try the free Malwarebytes download.
07-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Pop-up on a browser? Hmm... not heard that one.

But it is Net Neutrality Day: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...et-neutrality/
Quote:
Originally Posted by partial excerpt from ARS article
And to help further stress the importance of net neutrality, here are a few scenarios, each perfectly plausible or already happening, that might be possible if ISPs give up on the attempt to be neutral Internet providers:

Perhaps you'll one day have to pay your Internet overlords for Ars—or your second-favorite website—content to render quickly. (Or perhaps the sites themselves will need to pay.) Pay up or the site will remain slow. A slow-rendering Ars might push our readers to competing sites that have either ponied up for fast-lane service or didn't need to pay because they were granted free fast-lane access (often called "zero rating") as part of some business deal.

Perhaps YouTube and Vimeo will count against your data cap—while an ISP's own "preferred" video service won't. (This sort of thing is already common on mobile connections.)

Perhaps your ISP, under pressure from various industries, simply begins blocking various websites—say, a file-sharing website that some people use for piracy but which you use to share multitrack mixes with your band. Is that a decision you want an ISP to be making?

Perhaps you'll have trouble watching your favorite video service. Maybe not because your ISP has "blocked" it, but because your ISP limits streaming video bandwidth within its network... which might just happen to benefit its legacy cable TV or IPTV system. (Netflix is so big and has so much leverage that this is not a major worry for the company—but what about the next Netflix?

Perhaps your ISP will throttle the high-bandwidth BitTorrent file-sharing protocol—or whatever replaces it. (Remember the Comcast BitTorrent debacle that resulted in Comcast paying $16 million?) Or maybe your ISP will just charge you extra to use it.

Perhaps you'll be bombarded with javascript-injected advertisements overlaid onto Web pages—ads put there by the ISPs. ISPs are already doing this, to some extent, with Internet service doled out for free at coffee houses and airports. And some small ISPs have tried it with home Internet service.
And The Digital FAQ supports net neutrality.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Don't ever reply to unsolicited requests for your personal information. I'd strongly suggest that you run an antivirus scan to get rid of that malware. Try the free Malwarebytes download.
Yes, agreed, and I Never share Any personal info on any unknown site, but in some cases, I will enter fake or altered info if it's something like this, which by the way, I'm pretty sure Everyone got today, this message to fill out the form and send to Congress about Net Nutrality. Perhaps the word "Pop Up" was incorrect, But even then I was still very skeptical and sent in fake info on the form. Plus I have Eset Antivrus for a few years now, It's usually very good at catching bad stuff. BUT still, thanks for your concern.
07-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Pop-up on a browser? Hmm... not heard that one

Perhaps I used the wrong term Pop Up?
But it is a warning or something that everyone will see upon logging in to or even maybe just browsing whatever site they go to.