Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-24-2018, 01:49 AM
Free Member

I'll try to sum up my issue as best, and simply as I could:

I want to capture retail (and recorded) tapes. These tapes are in good condition. I have a JVC SR-V10U, and an AVT-8710. I have an Asus GL503VD. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-i7-770...s=GL503VD&th=1

The problem: INSERTED FRAMES!

It'll usually be no more than one more than already there, but it's annoying as hell, and wish it simply stayed at the default device. My capture card is a Dazzle DVC100, because I marvel at the detail it shows, if captured correctly (I have a Hauppauge as well, and I find that it degrades the detail). I couldn't capture without inserted frames on my older Gateway PC from 2013, so I saved up to get this laptop, which what I describe it to me, a monster of a machine. A friend of mine has a laptop with identical specifications, and his captures are perfect. I even resorted to buying an RCA to 3.5mm line in cable to see if capturing the audio separately would help. I even overclocked the computer to see if it would do anything. Heat can't be a problem because I got fans underneath keeping it pretty cold. I downloaded LordSmurf's VD pack, the newest VD, both 32 and 64 bit, what the actual hell is the issue?(!). I actually have in front of me around 25+ retail tapes, all in great shape to test, just to not get bored attempting to capture them an infinite amount of times.

The problem usually occurs within 15-30 minutes of a capture. Rare times, it will capture the entire 30 minute tape somehow flawlessly, but these times are very rare (once, it went through perfectly through an hour long tape, but I had HuffyUV's settings wrong, so I try not to count it).

In VirtualDub, I capture with HuffyUV. Lagarith was giving me the inserted frames, so I thought switching to HuffyUV would be a better choice (ultimately was, because of the higher bitrate). This laptop's days are numbered, since Amazon has a 30 day return policy thing (9 days in as of typing this), and returning is the very last resort (it's a great computer, especially for when I go to College come August). I've tried absolutely everything people- DigitalFAQ legends, you are my last hope in ever capturing VirtualDub perfectly. Together, we can find a solution to my problem (I've looked at solutions in other threads, unfortunately they didn't work as I hoped).

I've tested running through compatibility mode in Windows 7, and XP SP2 & 3. Photos are attached of my settings in VirtualDub's timing. I have the top two ticked, but I have also tried with them unticked. Everything else remains the same. Other things to note: 720x480 capture, NTSC, S-Video, Video-Dazzle, Audio-Line In. I have audio playback off as well.

Attached Images
File Type: png gt.PNG (25.0 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Is that the green AVT-8710, or the known-flawed black one? If black, that's a likely reason. A bad AVT-8710 causes frame locking/sticking, ghosting, and some other nasty issues. See the linked text for a thread on that topic.

The Dazzle cards are not a preferred card, and that may also be a problem. It's one of the few cards that even Linux users have issues with.

Laptops often use stripped-down versions of components, and more often than not they make for lousy capture systems. The monitor alone is pretty terrible, especially anything shiny, and you don't get a true clear picture of what your capture actually looks like. With video, there can be odd conflicts not just in the capture hardware, but the capture software as well. It can be impossible to troubleshoot.

Which Hauppauge model?

Inserts are supposed to retain audio sync, and prevents overly adjusting the kHz to achieve it. sanlyn helped work on the VirtualDub settings guide here in the forum, and suggested turning off the inserts option, but I've always disagreed with that. You're just masking a potential problem, not addressing it.

Windows 10 is also not capture friendly.

And then if this computer is used for non-video, you need to turn off all the hyperactive ADD software. It wants to connect you, etc. You need run the Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall, free version, and lock everything down from connecting online. You'll quickly see how much activity the computer is actually doing. If this is a new computer, you may be surprised at how much garbage is there behind the scenes, essentially spyware. You need to run msconfig, and turn off anything not required.

My gut feeling is that you have multiple problems at once: TBC, over-connected computer, maybe capture card

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: thestarswitcher (07-02-2018)
06-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf -I was hoping you would come along, glad you were the first to reply!

The AVT-8710 i'm using is indeed the black one. Some tapes, it doesn't like them (the bad 'digital ghosting' issue), but on the batch of tapes I got on my table, only one of these tapes had the problem, the rest look great.

The Hauppauge model I have somewhere in the house is the USB Live-2.

I plan to use this computer for very few things: Firefox (downloading/uploading/s(m)urfing), Photoshop, Premiere, Avisynth and Virtualdub (and affiliated software with the VHS workflow).

I went ahead and downloaded the Sphynx firewall as you suggested- and it blocked out internet from going to my computer. Was a pain to figure out, but my internet is now reaching this computer thankfully. How do I know which tasks to disable, and how do I do it safely?

I'm gonna go with the computer being an issue, so let's fix it- and you've helped a ton already!
06-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Free Member

I never observed the black avt causing inserted frames, it was just that the frames it did output had the noted artifacts.
06-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Free Member

Update:

I managed to get several good 30 minute captures- but some of them will have the 1 inserted frame lurking about, then I recapture. I know use LordSmurf's VD because I've found the most luck in that, especially running it with Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. I've also disabled Windows Defender and a few more services, I don't know what else to do though. I don't think the TBC can be an issue; all the frames look great. Just the software bugging up.

LordSmurf/Sanlyn, any suggestions?
07-01-2018, 02:08 AM
Free Member

So what I've now done:

I went ahead to my original Gateway tower because I might as well give up hope on this laptop-- shame because it's a great machine.. The tower's specs I can't recall from memory, but it's a standard i5 with 8GB RAM. I don't believe there's any NVIDIA Graphics Card in there. I opened VirtualDub with Windows XP SP2 compatibility, and it worked...until the 35 minute mark where the deadly inserted frame waddled it's way in. It;s absolutely impossible that with two machines, this program doesn't want to do anything. I'm capturing something now as I type (I disabled Microsoft Store in case that was what screwed up anything).

BTW, I bought Premium registration on the site- the amount of knowledge and resources here are too great for me not to make a contribution!