Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Free Member

As I study the variety of information on video in general and VHS capture in particular, I have found good information here and on Doom9 (at least when Doom9 is up and functional). A few days ago I clicked on several links on Doom9--Norton and Malwarebytes went bezerk with warnings. This is very unusual since I usually only get one or two warnings a year. Anyone else have this problem? Seems like the only safe thing to do there is stay away from the links. A shame since it looked like valuable info was available through the links. I've never had any trouble here. A testament to the care with which this site is operated.

Thanks for a great site!
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Doom9 had an outage last month, and it could be related. Unsure.
On what page are the links?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Free Member

i was studying AviSynth a couple of days ago. One or more bad links could have been in threads by people such as Video Fred. I don't believe at all that Fred was involved. It could have been someone who posted near the beginning or end of the thread. I didn't read all of the responses since the thread has over 1000 responses. Sorry I don't remember more.
08-19-2018, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

One large issue on really old forums is many of the links posted years ago simply no longer apply. If it's really old topic the domain was probably allowed to expire by original owner. The new owner is likely squatter and serving up bottom of the barrel ad network infested with malware ads.
08-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That's the primary reason we want members to attach things to posts!

I've seen many things disappear over the years. We've done our best at this site to archive information, scripts, files, etc. Because what almost always happens is the person loses interest within 5 years, and their project/info/docs/whatever can quickly disappear (expiring domains, etc). Or they rely on some "free" location that disappears (Geocities, Xoom, Networ54, etc). And not just sites, but sometimes entire forums, countless discussions ... poof, gone. Sometimes the Wayback helps, sometimes not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Free Member

I really appreciate the effort put into this forum to retain information. I downloaded the file "Neuron2_How To Analyze Video Frame Structure.zip" from a thread on this forum. The file had good information and referred to other material on Neuron2's site. I tried accessing the site and unfortunately it's been taken over by malware. So again, thanks for capturing material before its lost forever.

Steve