Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Just in case anybody here is not yet aware, the October 2018 updates have been mass deleting users files. Not just the "My Documents" folders, which is bad enough, but files located on other drives.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c..._my_documents/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-data-loss-bug

Always disable Automatic Updates. Apply only necessary and well-vetted updates on a regular basis. If you're an upgrade junkie, and insist on being the cool kid on the block with the latest updates, odds are MS will screw you over someday. Stuff like this is not new. For example, forcing the Win10 upgrade last year, when you were perfectly content using Win7/8.

Windows 10 is not a good OS. It's not safe, neither from privacy stance, but apparently even stability stance. Purely from a video standpoint, it hobbles too many tasks like capturing video.

If you use Windows 10, and allow automatic updates, then you'd better retain daily backups.

You've been warned!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: JPMedia (10-08-2018), naripeddi (10-09-2018), SHGMC (10-08-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-14-2018, 04:56 AM
Free Member

One of my main reasons to use a Apple product.... (MacBook Pro) i'm not saying apple is perfect, but for what i am using it performs good, and sofar safe enough for the stupid things i do, where a windows based device would have crashed, or became to slow,
i did not updated to OSX 12, because the specs of the hardware will run out there i guess.
10-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Please don't continuously hijack threads with "use Mac instead" replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
One of my main reasons to use a Apple product.... (MacBook Pro) i'm not saying apple is perfect, but for what i am using it performs good, and sofar safe enough for the stupid things i do, where a windows based device would have crashed, or became to slow,
i did not updated to OSX 12, because the specs of the hardware will run out there i guess.
Mac is just as much as PITA as any other OS. I should know, I use them, and have since the 80s. Same for Windows, and Linux since the 90s.

In terms of an "Apple product", meaning the hardware...

I have my Mac gutted this weekend, for an upgrade (HDD>SSD). Until now, I've never had to use magnifying glasses, special plastic tweezers, toothpicks, and needed 3-4 hands (ie a helper), in order to upgrade a system. Yesterday, I was tempted to pull out a sledge hammer and smash it. In their asinine quest to look sleek and tiny, the machines are almost unworkable hardware-wise. I've had laptops that were easier to work with, in terms of hardware replacements/upgrades.

Also, the money you spend on a Mac is mostly profit for Apple. So when they brag about their trillion dollar market cap, realize that you gifted them this money. They didn't earn it. Worse yet, they outsource everything to China, and pay almost zero taxes via Irish tax havens. If I ever get another Mac, it'll most assuredly be a Hackintosh, and Apple can go to hell.

My next "fun" tasks is to upgrade the OS.

I'm also not impressed by iOS, neither on iPads or iPhones, having tried those in the past. I can get more done, quicker, and cheaper, using an Android phone and Windows 10 tablet (and with Automatic Updates disabled!).

10-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Free Member

Ugh, also did a HDD>SSD upgrade on an (2011) iMac recently, Needed a special toolkit from iFixit to get the screen off safely and for connecting the disk. Much easier on the older macbook we had (not as easy as my dell laptops with a simple slide out disk attached with one screw but still). Also doesn't help that apple likes to drop OS support for older macs way to fast. At least they can still run other OSes, but I wonder how long that will last.

Quote:
Also, the money you spend on a Mac is mostly profit for Apple.
At the electronic store I worked at last year we literally sold the apple devices with no or negative margin, otherwise the price would be too high to be competitive, they were purely for drawing customers to the store for other products.
10-14-2018, 06:17 AM
Free Member

they gave me an iPad at work most of the apps i should use just don't work like they should at my daily work, and i would have more work trying to get them to work, then doing my actualy work
10-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

My first iPad was okay until the iOS5 update, which was being required for Safari to work with many sites. Once that was done, no web browser (because all were Safari at the core) was ever stable again.

BTW, regarding my recent/current Mac upgrade...
I have to completely redo the HDD>SSD upgrade. The 10.6.8 to 10.11 OS upgrade froze it at the Apple logo boot screen, never any chime. No movement whatsoever, and 10.6.8 predates the recovery mode. So I have to remove the SSD, reinsert the HDD, boot it, reclone to SSD again, and try a lower OS upgrade first. And then slowly move towards 10.11, and hope it doesn't happen again. Mac OS X is even worse than Windows, when it comes to upgrades/updates. Mashing any number of keyboard buttons does nothing whatsoever.

10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Free Member

I'm doing no OS updates anymore, (MacBook Pro 2015) only program and security updates, i'm on the end of my hardware resources, looks indeed like M$, where you need new hardware to run the new OS.
Sofar i do fine, and i'm happy with my capture setup, only thing i might do if i want to use progs. like AviSynth, (windows only apps) is, buy a Intensity (BMD) PCI card, which is not as expensive as other brands of the same quality.
I guess i'll stick to Windows 8.0/8.1 then, because windows 10 became a disaster on a laptop i have.
Switching to a new iMac Pro will mean that i have to have dongles in between to adapt to the Thunderbolt interface(s), or it will render my current Intensity Shuttle useless.
VHS capturing is a niche
10-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
I'm doing no OS updates anymore, (MacBook Pro 2015) only program and security updates, i'm on the end of my hardware resources, looks indeed like M$, where you need new hardware to run the new OS.
Yeah, MS doing that with Win10 was unpopular BS on their part.

Quote:
Sofar i do fine, and i'm happy with my capture setup
That's why I ran 10.6.8 on my main photo system for years. Worked perfectly. But new needs not support by the OS, forced to upgrade to at least 10.9. BTW, do you have 10.9 available to you in the app store? If so, please PM me. I only have 10.10 and 10.11, from a friend offline.

Quote:
I guess i'll stick to Windows 8.0/8.1 then,
Windows XP and Windows 7 were probably the best OS put out to date. 8.x was really MS tried to force tablet stuff into 7, making a mess than ran like crap equally on desktop/laptops and tablets both. That's probably a reason that MS tried to force Win10 updates, in addition to more nefarious ones.

Quote:
because windows 10 became a disaster on a laptop i have.
It's a great tablet OS, but sucks for desktops/laptops (unless you're not a power user, mostly doodling on web browsers, the OS tools, and other bespoke needs).

10-18-2018, 04:45 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the "heads up" lordsmurf. reiterating the fact once again on my choice to remain with win7 pro x64 as long as I can, even with my i7700 Kaby Lake CPU (which involved a Windows Driver hack to get Intel HD630 Graphics working).

Only thing I could add here is for Windows users to have their "Documents" Folders, or whatever stored on a removable drive and disconnect it if doing updates. Lost too much stuff over the years due to shoddy updates