Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzapp View Post
When you use the phrase "confined to a wheelchair", it elicits feelings of sorrow or pity for said person, which is usually not what they would like. "Confined" has almost no positive connotations.
Can't say I agree. When I was paralyzed, I felt like a prisoner in my own body. I was often confined to bed. There's no other way to say it, there's no cheerful description to be given. And while I didn't seek pity, I did seek understanding. We live in a world of mostly healthy people with all their faculties, and issues of the maimed and unhealthy seem alien and incomprehensible. I know they did to me, before I succumbed to MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryagain View Post
When did people become so PC and overly sensitive?
It started in the 90s, but was still a joke back then. The 10s have started to take it seriously, mostly due to younger generations (millennials/Y, Z). Anybody here remember ebonics? That always seemed like a catalyst to me, an attempt to recognize/excuse poor English grammar (and, of course, get $$$ from said recognition). Yet it's been almost scrubbed from the internet, and is itself now not PC.

Quote:
Society has become neutered, (oh no, who will this word offend?)
I think you just offended my cat.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Free Member

LS,

I grew up with a mother that was diagnosed with MS in her mid 20's, I was five, my brother was three. My mom continued to work in accounting for another 25 years. Her linear progression MS slowly taking away her physical abilities but she struggled on with an iron will. We lost her last year after she got very sick with several infections. As it turned out an experimental MS treatment she had in the late 70's was the culprit, she was given Cytoxan chemotherapy then ACTH to basically reboot her immune system. This caused bone marrow failure 40 years later, so she had ever declining white and red blood cells. Why bother telling you this story, well she made it 45 years with MS. My dad cared for her but also made her work up to the limits to do things for herself, I think this had a great impact on her, keep working, keep active, avoid heat at all cost! Good luck my friend.
The following users thank kiszka6911 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-14-2019)