digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   JVC Digital-S (D9) transfer service? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9436-jvc-digital-d9.html)

Vincent 02-11-2019 10:54 AM

JVC Digital-S (D9) transfer service?

In my digitization effort for my local museum, I've picked up players as I've come across various formats.

I've just come across a Digital-S tape in the collection! Hadn't heard for that one before!

Since it's just the one tape, and I really don't expect there to be any more, I am not thrilled at the idea of trying to secure a good Digital-S player, storing it, etc.

Does anyone know of a place that can do a Digital-S transfer, ideally keeping the DV50 codec intact or output to 4:2:2 lossless would be fine.

latreche34 02-11-2019 11:00 PM

Depends on where you live.

Vincent 02-12-2019 08:20 AM

Excellent point! United States. Beyond that, I'm going into this assuming I'll have to ship it! I will need it back though as well.

lordsmurf 02-12-2019 05:01 PM

I think the last time I saw anything like that was in 2000. So no idea. That's not just a legacy format, but an unpopular one at that. And I'm not aware of any qualified person that can do it.

jwillis84 02-12-2019 06:40 PM

wikipedia called it DY-70U, popular with Fox News in the UK.

There are some DY-700U camcorders/newscorders for sale on the 'Bay .. mostly from people who don't know what they're for.. pretty cheap considering what they use to cost, might be worth a gamble

Vincent 02-12-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 59343)
I think the last time I saw anything like that was in 2000. So no idea. That's not just a legacy format, but an unpopular one at that. And I'm not aware of any qualified person that can do it.

Yeah, several years into this project, upon coming across a new format I had never heard of, I knew I might be in trouble!

-- merged --

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwillis84 (Post 59349)
wikipedia called it DY-70U, popular with Fox News in the UK.

There are some DY-700U camcorders/newscorders for sale on the 'Bay .. mostly from people who don't know what they're for.. pretty cheap considering what they use to cost, might be worth a gamble

Having done a little more research into it, it doesn't appear that either of those camcorders comes with an SDI out. A few of the higher end recorders have it as an option.

Unfortunately, despite coming out a year prior to the Digital-S format, IEEE 1394 doesn't appear to be an option on any of the Digital-S decks. I suppose Digital-S was in development before that was really a viable option and/or DV hadn't yet standardized on that interface. At any rate, I don't think there's any way to copy the DV formatted video directly off the tape.

-- merged --

Actually, I've just come across an IEEE 1394 add-in card for their VTRs! Part# SA-DV60U, for posterity.

jvc_graz 12-09-2020 09:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
2 years too late ... but;) if someone needs help to transfer d9 cassettes to SVHS, DV, DVD or avi files (or as mp4 / mkv) he can send me his cassette.

in use are prof. machines for S-VHS JVC BRS-822/622/522 or 525 (all with TBC) or D9 2 pieces JVC BR-D85E
however only makes sense in europe because in pal norm

happy to help via pm!
Best regards, Klaus

-- merged --

Here are a few of my devices, digital s machines and s-vhs professional. Also a DV player / recorder and more. All devices work perfectly