Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-31-2021, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Howdy,

I have a Panasonic PV-9664 VCR that's giving me hell. It worked flawlessly at first, first few weeks of use, and then the thing threw itself to the fan.

It stops at certain tapes that it played perfectly before, and will not move past where it stops. Both Play and Fast-Forward can't get it to move. The only thing that works at that point is re-winding. It still won't go past that point.

I've tried these tapes on other VCR's, and they run just fine.

It puts up this message on the front display: I think it's SLRH, maybe SRLH. It's not doing it right now, but it's one of the two spellings.

I tried looking for a service manual. There was an owner's manual for 20$ Not in this house!

Any help at all is seriously appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-31-2021, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Error code is SLRH. I'm not sure what that indicates.

The heavier tapes are kind of hot when I pull them out.

I'm noticing a pattern. I have RCA's earliest tapes, and they weigh like a brick. Same thing with my FUJI Beridox which are built like a brick. Both of these were new in shrink wrap. I have four more of each. I'm going to open one of each up, and see if those malfunction, too.

I find it so odd that they'd be able to play them for a minute, then quit out. I can't imagine what's going on. All my other VCR's play these guys no problem...I'v got many different VCR camcorders, and they all run without issue.

I am floored that a high-quality VCR like this runs into trouble with heavier tapes. Dissapointing.

Last edited by Dead Christmas; 10-31-2021 at 03:55 PM.
10-31-2021, 04:32 PM
Free Member

Speculation:
The VCR has sensors that will stop play if the supply and/or take-up reels are not moving at correct speeds. Perhaps there is a clutch or belt in the system that is no able to move the heavier tape at the right speed (e.g., too much slippage) so the VCR errors out.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Dead Christmas (10-31-2021)
10-31-2021, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Would you happen to know how I can fix that? Or do I need a new VCR?
10-31-2021, 09:40 PM
Free Member

Not in any way without the service manual and hands on to see what is happening inside. With the case open you might be able to see what is happening with the tape just before it stops. But working on VCRs requires a specific skill set and tools. I don't know if you have them.

This is a VHS, not S-VHS unit that dates to ~1998 or so and was not Panasonic's top USA consumer model. Finding repair support and parts for it would likely be problematic. Given the cost of bench time at a qualified repair service you may well be better searching for one of the recommended s-vhs machines from a reputable source.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Dead Christmas (11-01-2021)
11-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, I wanted to get it going to capture my old tapes. Some of which, were recorded on an AG-456, linear stereo. I'd never used an S-VHS tape, though. All my other units are mono. I also wanted the dynamorphous heads.

Can't believe the heavier reels would be enough to do this guy in.

I'll call it done unless there's some kind of success. Thanks again for your help.