digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/)
-   -   Going to hospital [update: released] (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/9996-hospital-update-released.html)

lordsmurf 09-05-2019 08:01 PM

Going to hospital [update: released]

Extreme pain.

Post-release edit:
In the days before I was admitted, I was in contact with dozens of folks via PM here at this site, for various reasons, and didn't want to just disappear for an unknown amount of time -- especially since a few had just paid for marketplace items, didn't want those site newbies to freak out. Too much pain, not enough time, for 1-on-1 contact.

lingyi 09-05-2019 09:21 PM

Prayers and cares my blue friend!!! Hope you're okay! :hearts:

latreche34 09-05-2019 11:28 PM

Wishing you well, take good care of yourself.

Mikey32 09-06-2019 02:40 AM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care.

Mike.

16mmJunkie 09-06-2019 03:21 AM

Lordsmurf your a trooper and I know you'll make it thru this! :salute: You're in my families thoughts and prayers.

16mmjunkie

If the Light ain't Bright, It ain't Right !

sanlyn 09-06-2019 05:57 AM

I sympathize with your situation all too well myself. Here's hoping it' s merely short-lived.

hodgey 09-06-2019 08:09 AM

aww man, I hope you can recover. Best of wishes.

msgohan 09-06-2019 10:25 AM

You're in our thoughts, man. Wishing you well from the other side of the continent.

keaton 09-06-2019 01:37 PM

So sorry to hear! Wishing you all my best. All this video stuff is so insignificant compared to our health and well being. Take as much time as you need for yourself. Please don't feel the need to get back to this forum any sooner than is good for your own well being. So many have learned so much here from your contributions to this wonderful community. You've spread the wisdom around, and we can always keep this great community going in your absence. Again, all my best to you!

lingyi 09-06-2019 02:01 PM

FYI, I've posted a link to this thread at Videohelp, which I know some of you are also members of.

Spreading the love and caring for our favorite blue guy! :congrats: Awww...heck, one of MY favorites at both forums! There...I said it! :D

Gibson767 09-06-2019 04:25 PM

Get Well Soon :)

ELinder 09-06-2019 05:17 PM

Hope it goes away quickly!

gamemaniaco 09-06-2019 07:07 PM

Lordsmurf I received the information that you are sick I wish you the best possible recovery for your health and prayers for you because you are a great person and friend

Sergei316 09-06-2019 08:27 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with you tonight LS, get well soon.

gooch 09-06-2019 10:57 PM

Take care, hope all is well
Gooch

lordsmurf 09-07-2019 11:02 AM

Thank you all. :)

That previous night, I was refurb'ing some TBCs (requires some physical activity), when sudden-onset pain ensued. When you have MS, that's not a good sign. I was therefore done for the day, went on bed rest, and it slowly went away.

Trying to take it easy the next day, I sat here doing restoration instead (Avisynth scripting). But the pain came back two-fold that evening, which is when I made this thread, and we went to the hospital.

By the time I got there, it was three-fold. It got to where I couldn't exhale without moaning, and nearly passed out several times. I was sweating profusely, then became dehydrated and chilled. I'd often shake uncontrollably. And a few more symptoms best not described. The ER wait was ridiculous. They were more interested in insurance paperwork, drawing blood, and taking my temperature. I sat/laid there in pain for several more hours until they gave me morphine. In fact, the 1st dose wasn't enough to end the pain, a 2nd was required.

Without getting into the details (privacy), it was unrelated to MS (which is good), but will require future changes in routine and diet, so as not to happen again. No surgery needed, which was good.

I'm now released.

I was on a strict liquid-only diet yesterday, and dairy was allowed. So I had a hot fudge sundae for dinner last night on the way home. :P

It'll be a few more days before I do much.

lingyi 09-07-2019 11:51 AM

Thank you for the update and glad to see you're better, if not 100%.

Take it easy and looking forward to your getting back to your Smurfy self! :congrats:

sanlyn 09-07-2019 12:04 PM

Helluva way to get a hot fudge sundae! You have me envious. After chemo I have to wait at least 2 weeks before the nausea subsides and lets me partake of such goodies.

Hope it's a quick recovery.

gamemaniaco 09-07-2019 01:12 PM

I'm happy for Lordsmurf's improvement, I'm still cheering for his full recovery

good nutrition and exercise and rest is best for good health

Gibson767 09-07-2019 02:32 PM

SO glad to read you're on the MEND. do what it takes to get well. I will have a Hot fudge sundae in your honor tonight - lol

lingyi 09-07-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibson767 (Post 63905)
SO glad to read you're on the MEND. do what it takes to get well. I will have a Hot fudge sundae in your honor tonight - lol

Make sure to top it with a BLUEberry! :D

ELinder 09-08-2019 09:45 AM

Glad you're OK. Funny how a big bowl of ice cream is part of the recovery process for so many things. :)

NJRoadfan 09-08-2019 02:24 PM

Sounds awfully like a kidney stone. I haven't had to deal with them, but its one of the few things that have that kind of intense pain.

Winsordawson 09-09-2019 03:26 PM

Hopefully NJRoadfan is right, and it was something rather innocuous. Take it easy, and let us know how your feeling! :sleep: I know you are doing the best you can.

lordsmurf 09-09-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winsordawson (Post 63948)
let us know how your feeling! :sleep: I know you are doing the best you can.

I hurt myself today. Needed painkillers again. :(

Without getting into details (privacy), I have internal injuries. After a weekend of rest, I felt much better, so I assumed I was fine. It's not like I tried to run a marathon, just did some light video tasks. But I don't think the doctor really let on to how bad off I was. So I'm apparently still not healed, must rest more, probably the entire week. I have a follow-up then. I'll have to limit the hours I sit in an office chair, no floor work whatsoever. I hate being idle, not in my nature.

<sigh> :depressed:

ELinder 09-10-2019 08:25 AM

You're not being idle, you're hard at work on the task of getting better. If you don't cut corners on other jobs, don't cut corners on this one either.

Winsordawson 09-10-2019 10:25 AM

I didn't know video work could be so hazardous! I guess this is a good time to catch up on some binge watching....:snack:

Sirworm 09-10-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 63953)
I hurt myself today. Needed painkillers again. :(

Without getting into details (privacy), I have internal injuries. After a weekend of rest, I felt much better, so I assumed I was fine. It's not like I tried to run a marathon, just did some light video tasks. But I don't think the doctor really let on to how bad off I was. So I'm apparently still not healed, must rest more, probably the entire week. I have a follow-up then. I'll have to limit the hours I sit in an office chair, no floor work whatsoever. I hate being idle, not in my nature.

<sigh> :depressed:

Feel well soon! You're still capable of healing, which is great. As Winsordawson said, this would indeed be a great time to catch up on any shows if that is your thing.

lingyi 09-10-2019 10:32 PM

Take it easy, rest up and get better.

It's not like we miss you when you're not around. *SNIFFLE* Who's cutting onio...BWAHHHHHHH! :cry:

Always wishing you all the best! :salute:

Master Tape 09-11-2019 03:56 AM

Hope you get better soon LS and send you my best wishes, sounds like you've had a time of it!

Interesting you mention limiting your hours on the office chair, only this last year i've been getting bad pains in my left side, lower back (swollen up) from sitting on my computer chair, all day everyday. Have had to put pillows under my bottom and behind my back to provide more support/comfort. Went to the doctor about it and she recommended swimming as form of exercise that's easy on the joints. Well it's probably due to lack of activity in my case!

VideoTechMan 09-12-2019 10:52 PM

Hey LS, I just now reading this thread. So sorry your going through this health challenge....sucks having pain and having to go through it. Heck early last summer I had my gall bladder taken out (after resisting for a good number of years) because the pain was no longer tolerable. Since then I have been great since.

Its been said that you can have billions of dollars, but won't mean one red cent if your health goes under. I am sure many billionaires would be glad to trade all of their wealth to have full health. Its just something that's irreplaceable.

I've known you for a long time LS since the VH days and a great guy. Like the others have said take time for yourself and just relax. There are more than enough people on here that can help each other and newbies to the site as well, so the forums will run just fine. Just pop in whenever your health allows. I still do enjoy reading your posts though, especially when it comes to talking crap about cheap bad equipment that just can't cut the mustard in video work!

Take care!

Tester 09-13-2019 05:00 PM

Just reading this too. Sending you my best wishes, LS. As others have said: take time, take care, take it easy. Get well.

FF3D 09-20-2019 09:14 AM

Just reading your post now, lordsmurf - extremely sorry to hear. Hoping you’re on the path to recovery!

jwillis84 09-22-2019 08:21 PM

Here's a thought.. I'm no doctor... but I'm male.. so I try to solve problems out of reflex.

When I took up handling DVRs and Circuit boards from old systems.. I slowly then quickly developed a kind of "contact dermititis" that just wouldn't go away.

Quite literally the skin on my index finger and thumb would harden, turn a kind of callous hard, and then start to ablate.. or peel away.. no amount of lotions, or efforts to keep them clean would stop the peeling. I showed a doctor and he didn't know what to make of it.. he suggested it was some "Extreme" trigger reaction to something I've handled.

It got quite painful.

The doctor assured me it was a good thing because at least it wasn't entering my blood stream.. but that I should find out what it was.. it didn't take long after that to associate the raw metal on the back of DVRs.. the unpainted, unprotected steel or tin or whatever.. seems to be causing it.

I've since begun handling with white gloves.. or carefully avoiding the metal.. and the symptoms have gone away.

There is some like this on the bottoms of VCRs and other lesser quality made video component boxes.

Since you were working on TBC's it instantly reminded me of this latest episode with my fingers and thumb on my right hand.

I have read that some people also develop an allergic reaction to metals like "nickle" and other kinds of alloys especially when we get older. Triggering an autoimmune response is never good.. but if you have a pre-existing condition.. you may be uniquely vulnerable to this same effect.

I would urge extreme caution handling some of your favorite hobby projects.. perhaps even get a soldering fume hood to whisk that stuff away from you too.

Bodyslide 09-24-2019 03:13 PM

Get well soon.

lordsmurf 09-25-2019 02:19 AM

Finally getting in some work hours again. So getting there. :)
Just taking it slow, not overdo it.

gamemaniaco 09-25-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 64154)
Finally getting in some work hours again. So getting there. :)
Just taking it slow, not overdo it.

Good Lordsmurf Recovery

Serdoli 09-30-2019 01:39 AM

I really liked that such a community is good here! Get well soon, I'm sorry I'm new to VHS. :)

Dude111 10-05-2019 11:08 AM

I am glad your home and doing better Lordsmurf :)