digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/)
-   -   Shooting High res JPEG or RAW or RAW+JPEG, and sRGB or Adobe RGB ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/photo-cameras/2549-shooting-high-res.html)

Sossity 11-13-2010 05:43 PM

Shooting High res JPEG or RAW or RAW+JPEG, and sRGB or Adobe RGB ?

I have learned that DSLR's can shoot either in a RAW, RAW + jpg or just jpg file formats. For someone starting out on a DSLR, like me, what would be best for me to shoot in?

I was thinking highest resolution jpgs for most things, & using RAW or RAW + jpg for special things like shooting my artwork. I often also shoot an artwork in progress, would RAW work? or just shoot RAW for the final artwork when it is done?

Another option I see DSLR's have is color space, Adobe RGB & sRGB. Again, I was thinking to use sRGB for most things, & using Adobe RGB for special things like my artwork.

I dont have the big fancy photo editors now, I have a couple of downloading utilities, downloader pro for windows running on my mac, & the mac version of image ingester pro. I am new to DSLR's & dont want downloading the images to be complicated, or bog down my computer.

In all, I would like my images to be compatible, and easy to work with.

lordsmurf 11-14-2010 11:28 PM

RAW images are resource pigs. But you can seriously alter the images. A JPEG has some latitude for adjustment, but not too much, as most of the image data was discarded during the compression.

RAW is almost like a digital negative.
JPEG is more like a high grade print from that negative.

That all said, I often shoot JPEG only. Only when quality really matters, like weddings or situations where light or white balance is proving to be a challenge, do I opt for using RAW. I almost never use RAW-only -- I'll pick RAW+JPEG. Sometimes the JPEG from the camera can look better than my own editing of the RAW. Most photographers will avoid admitting that, or insist on some silly notion that I'm simply not very skilled at editing, but good is good -- I don't really care what process caused it. The photo matters, not my ego of mastering Photoshop.

You cannot be a photographer and not own some version of Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Lightroom. Not having those tools is like being a film photographer with no access to a darkroom. I highly suggest buying the boxes versions cheaply from Amazon. A friend of mine use Lightroom, and I use mostly Adobe Bridge + Photoshop. (Bridge comes with Photoshop CS2-CS5.)

Sossity 11-15-2010 05:21 PM

what about Adobe RGB versus sRGB? which of these color profiles should I choose?

I thought about using sRGB for most things, & like the RAW setting, using Adobe RGB for special things like my artwork.

kpmedia 11-15-2010 07:15 PM

Your logic is sound. sRGB for pretty much everything would work fine. Even paintings, if you wanted. While AdobeRGB is theoretically better colorspace, practical use can vary highly. I never use AdobeRGB for photography or artwork -- only sRGB. But feel free to shoot your artwork in AdobeRGB and compare to sRGB yourself. That's my advice.