Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

For the Nikon d7000 What of these settings would be best for shooting my artwork? do I use a flash or not?

what settings if I am shooting the art outdoors? or indoors? what about exposure settings etc.

Last edited by Sossity; 12-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

What kind of artwork?
Be specific, give all possible information on what it is, where it is, size, medium, etc.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

The artwork varies from small to the largest painting at about 30 inches x 40 inches. about 14 inches x 17 inch sketch pads with pencil,colored pencil and charcoal sketches. I also have water color paintings from about 11 x 14 inches to 18 by 24 inches. Some of my sketches are bigger. This art described is on paper, unframed.

I have various paintings, mostly in acrylics, and oils, from about 11 x 14 inches to 30 x 40 inches. I have quite a few on 14 x 18 canvas boards. Some of the paintings have a shiny varnish on them. Some of the paintings are on canvas of stretchers, others are on canvas boards.

One of my paintings is on a long vinyl banner, about 3 feet wide by 8 feet long, so I would shoot this outdoors.

I dont really have any space in my house for my large paintings, maybe the smaller ones. So I shoot the larger art outdoors.

I have slides I have of some of my art that I shot with a film SLR camera. It might be easier to just scan these with my epson scanner the epson photo perfection 4490. Re shooting might be a bit awkward & time consuming. I would shoot some of my newer art with the nikon d7000.

In another thread I was told to upload one of the slides I scanned to see if my scanner is up to par, are there some directs for this?
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
To give a quick answer...

Keep art flat to plane of camera lens. If you tilt the painting forward ot backward any, and the camera does not match the tilt/lean, your square/rectangular painting will look wider on top or bottom -- it will be skewed and distorted slightly.

My concern about art outdoors is wind. It's so easy to damage a painting from simply hitting the ground. And then directy sunlight isn't really the kind of light you want. Even bright hazy daylight casts ugly colors and glare on objects. Put it in a somewhat shaded environment, but still getting adequate light for ISO 200 or less.

Re-shooting may actually be a bit faster than scanning slides. It is for me, at least -- even with my fast Epson V300 scanner.

To upload full-sized images, ZIP or RAR the JPEG image. Put the image in a RAR or ZIP archive file, then upload that file. It must be 8MB or less.
Some diections are here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ages-1529.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs