Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

I know I mentioned this lens in one of my other threads, but since it was with a separate issue about the black plastic, I thought I would make a separate thread about lenses for clarity. Sorry to make it a repeat, but I thought it would be best to keep each thread about one topic.

Earlier in my interactions here in discussing the nikon d7000, I was advised to get a few lenses, that each one would be much better at different photo types like close ups, & zooms than an all around lens.

But after my camera drop, & trying to change lenses while out one night riding my bike, made me a bit nervous. I am often in the worst conditions for a DSLR, especially for changing lenses, at the beach; sand, in my backyard & canyon; dirt, mud, in my home studio; dusty.

After stopping for a break on a bike ride & fumbling with changing my 105mm kits lens for the 50mm lens outdoors for some Christmas lights shots, I don't think I like the idea of switching out lenses too frequently, especially out on my bike rides, I have to keep moving, I am on the road, etc.

I think I would be more comfortable keeping a zoom like lens like the kit lens or something like it for general purpose photos, & using the 50mm for special things where no distortion is more critical; like shooting my artwork.

so if I go with an all purpose like lens, (I know they will never be as good as specialty lenses) what would be a good to get & to be able to leave on the camera most of the time? I like the kit lens as it has the wide angle 18mm, & the nikon 18-20mm for the wide angle to zoom.

I like the look of the nikon 18-200mm ED lens, but wanted to get some more experienced advice because it is a rather expensive lens. Is it much better than the 18-105mm kit lens that came with my camera?

this is the one I saw; http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-VR-II-Te.../dp/B002JCSV8A
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The 18-200 is not going to be a wise investment for you, no -- I don't think that's really what you're needing.
The 18-200 is actually a pretty miserable lens in some ways, and (someday) I have some examples to show this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.