01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Free Member

I can't decide which one is best of these two. The angled one is the original, the other one is the same photo, straightened during post processing. I know that the photo isn't really great to begin with but I am a bit curious if the processing is an improvement or not.

What's your ideas about it?

Original:
Architecture_1.jpg

processed:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
It's almost hard to believe that this is the same image twice. As a blind guess, I'd think you had used dXo Optics Pro to achieve that "correction" in processing.

To answer this question, I almost want to look past your question, and try to see the root of where you're coming from, and what technique you're trying to learn. So that's how I'll start out...

It's often hard to consider a snapshot to be a photograph. A photo is supposed to have a quality to it that makes it a piece of art. Based on that, a snapshot is simply an image quickly taken by a non-photographic laymen (or sometimes a photographer simply wanting "memories" -- "pictures" -- more than photos). There is no art, no thought -- just snap and go. Given that bit of information, the skewed photo looks like somebody walked down the street, aimed his or her camera upwards (be it on purpose or even by accident), and snapped the shutter with what appears to be a standard consumer lens, with a typical medium angle lens (35mm view). As such, you're getting only bits and pieces of the image that you would have seen with your eyes, standing below what are probably some breaktaking structures. After thinking about it more, it's not even a very good snapshot, much less a photo.

But you already know this isn't the greatest of images, you're wanting A vs B comparisons.

The key here is that you gave that second image thought. And it shows. From the parallel lines and shadows that give it geometric interest, to the subtle inclusion of old brick structures (the red neighbor, plus the reflection across the street), it has interest to it. You're not so distracted by the skewed angle, you're able to look a little deeper.

Skewing has it's place, just maybe not this time, on this image. The first image probably would have worked better if you had used a far wider angle.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback! The correction was actually made using GIMP.

The first image would have looked horrible if I had used a wider angle (although this one is made with an 18 mm lens), it would have included two garbage containers and a building site. Some bastard had decided to build a house where I needed to stand to get a good angle.
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Free Member

I like the second one, it has that web 2.0 look to it.