04-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Free Member

I am scanning a large number of slides. Scanning raw then batch processing. I was using VueScan for both steps, but have hit some limitations...
1) Auto cropping does not work in many cases (does not correctly detect and crop the image), and when it does not work, it causes the subsequent color corrections to be biased since there is excess border included.
2) Some slides need to be rotated, which keeps me from being able to batch process large numbers.
3) Color correction could be better in many cases.

I am looking for some utility like avisynth but for images... when i can batch process a large number of images and control the filters/corrections applied to each with scripting like avisynth. I am an avisynth novice and just learning... so if it can do this, I may be missing it...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Free Member

Photoshop can, but it is not cheap.
07-03-2020, 10:20 PM
Free Member

This may not help you, but if you value your time I would go with a pro-scanning service. I looked into using one after I realized how long it would take to scan thousands of photos, along with other issues such as making sure no dust is on each image, the DPI is right, etc. These companies also have much better equipment, and with each image costing pocket change (in cents), it seems a no-brainier. And for me, slouching for hours and days in one position over a scanner was not good for my back, either!
07-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

SilverFast AI is excellent software for archiving photos, slides, and negatives.
07-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Imagemagick is free and can be used to batch process many images with the same filters (especially combined with some command-line scripting), granted it's more akin to ffmpeg than avisynth.

On macOS, the built-in sips command can do some of the same things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
Photoshop can, but it is not cheap.
I would think Lightroom would be the Adobe product more suited for this task.

I have been curious about Silverfast AI given that it can interract directly with scanners, it's pretty costly though (though nothing out of the ordinary for such specialized software.), wonder if there are competing products that do similar things.